Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 10:36 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,941,566 times

Advertisements

A few days ago I wanted to celebrate and have a nice dinner out. I had picked a restaurant that we had been to in the past only to find that it was now providing non optional valet service if you wanted to use their parking lot. The other choice (if not the valet) was to park on the street in a residential neighborhood a block away and walk to their location if you wanted to eat there.

I was opposed to parking on the street in a residential neighborhood and I didn’t want to use their valet service either. So we left and went to another great restaurant about ten blocks away and enjoyed a meal there.

My thoughts are no matter if I am using an old cheap clunker or a new expensive car why would I want to give the keys to the valet and leave my vehicle with him? If I’m using an older $5,000 or a new $50,000+ one why should I give him the keys? I don’t know him and I can’t trust someone I don’t know.

Who should be responsible if the vehicle is missing or damaged; the owner of the restaurant or the valet who appears to be parking cars? What about items stored inside the car; the glove box with all the ID information, the trunk with packaged items recently purchased?

What do you do when it comes to valet parking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 10:45 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,799,722 times
I've never been a fan of valet parking. It's just another way to rip off customers. If it makes the owners of the restaurant feel important then I can go to a different restaurant. I suppose it makes sense to some customers or makes them feel self important, but I'll pass, thanks.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:09 AM

^^^ I agree,,,, in all my years I've never used valet parking........ and never will!

Old 05-09-2012, 11:16 AM

4,604 posts, read 5,787,383 times
I just used valet parking at a hotel that I stayed at for a company meeting. They had other options but I had alot of things for the meeting so it was easier for me than having to carry everything myself.

That being said, I have a valet key for my car. I lock the glovebox and trunk with my regular key and give them the valet key. The valet key will not open either of them. If anything happend to my car, the hotel would be responsible. I believe it would be the same for a restaurant.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:18 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,905,320 times
I hate valet parking too - I am Mr. Cheap. Still, from the original post, why didn't you just park on the street in the residential neighborhood? What's the big deal? Why go through the hassle of driving ten blocks (and ten traffic lights) to a place that you probably didn't have reservations for?

Old 05-09-2012, 01:38 PM

^^^

LOL,,,, Actually that ended up being a much better restaurant and meal. It was a Monday night so we didn’t need reservations and the food & service was superior to the original location. I’ve found a better place by checking out something else.

As for parking on the streets in a residential area, it’s not something that I would want happening if I lived in the area there. If you’re visiting at my house feel free to park in front on the street, if not then find someplace else to park. Don’t clutter my neighborhood with overflow parking from a business a block away. They (the business) should provide adequate parking for their customers and not expect them to park elsewhere.

My main complaint is giving keys and my vehicle to others! It isn’t going to happen.

Old 05-09-2012, 02:34 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,905,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post

My main complaint is giving keys and my vehicle to others!.
See, that's your problem. You need to drive a "Chick Magnet" like I drive. A 1998 base model white F-150, 210K miles, with vinyl flooring, roll up windows, manual transmission, manual mirrors, trash on the floor, three cars seats in the back, trash in the bed. Even valet guys would want to wash their hands and clothes after driving my truck.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:37 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,989,850 times
I don't like the valet idea either. Cars are a bit too personal as you have items strewn about in them. We have a Hi-rise hospital here where my kids were all born. It was the first air conditioned Hi-rise hospital in the US I believe. Part of it's lower floors are taken up by indoor parking areas. With valet service. Only place i recall using a valet..

Old 05-09-2012, 05:25 PM

Talking 3 minute clip of the valet problem. LOL

Seinfeld - The Car Stinks - YouTube

Old 05-09-2012, 08:26 PM
Status: " living in beautiful Charleston South Carolina" (set 16 days ago)

8,826 posts, read 21,319,678 times
I have only used it at a wedding where I really didn't have a choice. Otherwise, I just park a few blocks away & walk , cheapskate that I am .

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics