Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 09:33 PM

62,524 posts, read 88,597,252 times

Advertisements

This apply for Texas, but check how it works in your state:
Texas Transportation Code - Chapter 686 Valet Parking Services - Texas Attorney Resources - Texas Laws

General:
http://legallad.quickanddirtytips.co...t-waivers.aspx

Last edited by elnina; 05-09-2012 at 09:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 11:09 PM

44,753 posts, read 62,104,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
A few days ago I wanted to celebrate and have a nice dinner out. I had picked a restaurant that we had been to in the past only to find that it was now providing non optional valet service if you wanted to use their parking lot. The other choice (if not the valet) was to park on the street in a residential neighborhood a block away and walk to their location if you wanted to eat there.

I was opposed to parking on the street in a residential neighborhood and I didn’t want to use their valet service either. So we left and went to another great restaurant about ten blocks away and enjoyed a meal there.

My thoughts are no matter if I am using an old cheap clunker or a new expensive car why would I want to give the keys to the valet and leave my vehicle with him? If I’m using an older $5,000 or a new $50,000+ one why should I give him the keys? I don’t know him and I can’t trust someone I don’t know.

Who should be responsible if the vehicle is missing or damaged; the owner of the restaurant or the valet who appears to be parking cars? What about items stored inside the car; the glove box with all the ID information, the trunk with packaged items recently purchased?

What do you do when it comes to valet parking?
I don't, or won't, use valet parking for all the reasons you listed. If you have something stolen out of it or it get's damaged, it usually comes down to a "he said/she said" situation.
I've even heard of stories where the valet guy is in cahoots with a burglar buddy and he'll take the vehicle and use the garage door opener to burgarlize your home while you're eating.
And if you have a nice Ferrarri or other fine sports car, they may just take it for a joy ride while you're dining.

Old 05-10-2012, 01:15 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,882,870 times
No one drives my car not even DH. It's my one my only my precious. We wants it. DH named it that and I still park as far away from everyone as I can. The car still looks new and it's an 02 with 43k miles. It has a manual trans so I wonder if the young ones even know how to drive a stick? If they were to take it on a joy ride and drop it into 2nd gear from the 5th gear you can blow the engine. The ratio is really tight and I rarely down shift. I was warned about that when I first bought it. So no, don't touch my car!!!! Don't make me come over there.

Old 05-10-2012, 01:34 AM

35,308 posts, read 52,632,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
What do you do when it comes to valet parking?
I try to avoid it at all costs, in fact i'll go to another restaurant /hotel/establishment if valet parking is my only option.

Old 05-10-2012, 03:48 AM

16,805 posts, read 17,573,189 times

JFL Gag - Drunk Valet Parking - YouTube

On a serious note, I remember a news story when I was in Houston of valet parkers caught by hidden cameras going through vehicles they were parking for things like loose change etc.

This, I seem to recall, was at the law courts!

Old 05-10-2012, 08:28 AM

43,851 posts, read 51,512,461 times
I hope you enjoyed your meal.
We have a nifty FREE service where I usually eat....

Old 05-10-2012, 04:59 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,388,107 times
Wow I never heard of mandatory valet parking. I don't like not having a choice. I would have left to for that reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics