Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 10:16 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,407,372 times

Advertisements

I'm not even going to bother asking whether or not anyone hates going to the dentist, because that would be like asking "how many of you breathe using air?". The dentist office seems to be the cite though of numerous funny, weird or obnoxious stories...or maybe that's just the case for me as it seems every time I go to the dentist, something strange happens or I get dealt with the world's worst hygienist or dentist. So, share yours.

I went to the dentist the other day and the hygienist who saw me was incredibly pregnant. I mean, I don’t believe I’ve ever seen a woman so massively pregnant. She didn’t even look human. When I first saw her, I was like “hey, why is that bus wearing a dentist’s smock?” I looked like she was about to give birth to a 25 year old linebacker on the Jets. She apparently was due any day now. The girl must’ve been around my age and had a sort of bizarre valley girl way of speaking. I was asking her about the baby and she was saying things like “I dunno, I guess it’ll be like hard, to you know, raise it and stuff, but like babies are so cute!” Mmmhmmm. Whatever you say, Britney. So then at one point, she’s sort of hovering/standing on top of me with me located more or less right under her and she goes “wouldn’t it be funny if my water broke right now”, on my face! I think that image has turned me gay. As if it’s not bad enough that I get stuck with a hygienist who seems to have gotten into dental school on a cheerleading scholarship, and that I’m sitting here with my gums being prodded with sharp metal, but now I have a girl telling me it’d be “like totally cool” for drop bodily fluids on my face. What happened to bedside manners? I have the feeling that during dental school when they were teaching about proper conversations to have with your patients, she was just sitting in the back of class doodling pictures of ponies and listening to an ipod.

Your turn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2007, 10:41 PM

11,169 posts, read 10,663,096 times
I guess I may be an oddball - I don't mind the dentist at all. Without him - I wouldn't have such a great smile!

Old 09-18-2007, 10:52 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,915,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
I'm not even going to bother asking whether or not anyone hates going to the dentist, because that would be like asking "how many of you breathe using air?". The dentist office seems to be the cite though of numerous funny, weird or obnoxious stories...or maybe that's just the case for me as it seems every time I go to the dentist, something strange happens or I get dealt with the world's worst hygienist or dentist. So, share yours.

Oh geez...that's very different with the prego hygenist. Wow.

Wow....that's different.

My story is more on the creepy side...while at the dentist office and in the reclining position with a 1,000 watt bulb in my face, I feel the dentist using my chest as a dental implement holding tray.???!!! WTF (heck)

I told him immediately that he was making me very uncomfortable that every now and again he was copping a feel!
I left feeling very humiliated and filed a report.
He made it sound like it's 'what he always does'...??? Any other females ever have a dentist do that to them?
I've had very strange doctor incidents...maybe it's just me, but if I'm at the *dentist* I don't expect my breasts to be involved in the picture! Helllooo!

Hygenists are another strange lot...why do they always floss your teeth like they are digging for gold? I floss my teeth everyday...not sure why they need to cause so much pain.

Last edited by citybythebay; 09-18-2007 at 10:54 PM.. Reason: Re-worded...LOL

Old 09-18-2007, 11:20 PM

1,252 posts, read 2,648,699 times
Never trust a naked dentist.

Old 09-19-2007, 05:53 AM

885 posts, read 293,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citybythebay View Post
Oh geez...that's very different with the prego hygenist. Wow.

Wow....that's different.

My story is more on the creepy side...while at the dentist office and in the reclining position with a 1,000 watt bulb in my face, I feel the dentist using my chest as a dental implement holding tray.???!!! WTF (heck)

I told him immediately that he was making me very uncomfortable that every now and again he was copping a feel!
I left feeling very humiliated and filed a report.
He made it sound like it's 'what he always does'...??? Any other females ever have a dentist do that to them?
I've had very strange doctor incidents...maybe it's just me, but if I'm at the *dentist* I don't expect my breasts to be involved in the picture! Helllooo!

Hygenists are another strange lot...why do they always floss your teeth like they are digging for gold? I floss my teeth everyday...not sure why they need to cause so much pain.
I've worked in the dental field for over 15 years and your right they do use your chest as a instrument holder. I work for a great orthodontist right now , but those years with the general dentist were something else. The majority of the ones I worked for before this job 12 years ago were a little odd Good for you for reporting him. I've workd for some that did things that were so wrong, like not telling a heart patient that he actually gave her epinephrine and she was so scared that her heart was pounding I couldn't believe it! He was reported by us employees but he is still practicing. Isn't that scary. This Dr. was a absolute NUT, but there are some really good, honest ones out there and thank god I know who they are.

Old 09-19-2007, 07:08 AM

1,913 posts, read 8,915,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vienna View Post
I've worked in the dental field for over 15 years and your right they do use your chest as a instrument holder. I work for a great orthodontist right now , but those years with the general dentist were something else. The majority of the ones I worked for before this job 12 years ago were a little odd Good for you for reporting him. I've workd for some that did things that were so wrong, like not telling a heart patient that he actually gave her epinephrine and she was so scared that her heart was pounding I couldn't believe it! He was reported by us employees but he is still practicing. Isn't that scary. This Dr. was a absolute NUT, but there are some really good, honest ones out there and thank god I know who they are.

It was blatantly obvious what he was doing...his assistant that was in the room was just a kid so what could she do, ya know?
He thinks he's in a position of "power" and no one will challenge him that his office behavior was wrong? Guess he hadn't met me yet.

He was definitely a nut. I'm glad I reported him. After my complaint and investigations other patients of his started to surface that had similiar incidents happen to them (I will say, some worse than others)...I think there were 20 in all that came forward...some were teenagers!... and I'm happy to say his licence to pratice dentistry was stripped from him.
*Speaking up never hurts*

Old 09-19-2007, 07:36 AM

885 posts, read 293,841 times
Just for everyone out there, Don't let the Dr. intimidate you. You have the upper hand .Your paying him and there are too many Dr. out there so don't settle for one if you feel even a little weird, your instinct is probaly right.

Old 09-19-2007, 02:08 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,594,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
I went to the dentist the other day and the hygienist who saw me was incredibly pregnant. I mean, I don’t believe I’ve ever seen a woman so massively pregnant. She didn’t even look human. When I first saw her, I was like “hey, why is that bus wearing a dentist’s smock?” I looked like she was about to give birth to a 25 year old linebacker on the Jets. She apparently was due any day now. The girl must’ve been around my age and had a sort of bizarre valley girl way of speaking. I was asking her about the baby and she was saying things like “I dunno, I guess it’ll be like hard, to you know, raise it and stuff, but like babies are so cute!” Mmmhmmm. Whatever you say, Britney. So then at one point, she’s sort of hovering/standing on top of me with me located more or less right under her and she goes “wouldn’t it be funny if my water broke right now”, on my face! I think that image has turned me gay. As if it’s not bad enough that I get stuck with a hygienist who seems to have gotten into dental school on a cheerleading scholarship, and that I’m sitting here with my gums being prodded with sharp metal, but now I have a girl telling me it’d be “like totally cool” for drop bodily fluids on my face. What happened to bedside manners? I have the feeling that during dental school when they were teaching about proper conversations to have with your patients, she was just sitting in the back of class doodling pictures of ponies and listening to an ipod.
Wouldnt it be funny if you got covered in baby Placenta

Old 09-19-2007, 02:59 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,267,391 times
Dullnboring - Much to your chagrin I say this, I'm sure, but your story cracked me up. Give the girl a break ... a man can never undersetand what it's like to be preggars. With that said, some maturity - which your hygeinist obviously lacked - should have been displayed at the dentist's office!

Other than hating to go to the dentist's office, I've been fortunate enough to have had good experiences. There was one dentist office though where the dentist smelled like the office - you know all sterile and stuff. I mean, I know it's to be expected but this was totally over the top. He was old, too, so maybe that has something to do with it (the office was old, too). I've never had a problem since then (almost a decade ago) and the offices I've been to have all been relatively new.

Old 09-19-2007, 03:01 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,075,058 times
I am a person that has historically hated going to a dentist. That is until have discovered the office that am currently going to - will say that having a dentist and her staff that are friendly, cute, fun, very knowledgeable, and wonderful skills, makes me actually look forward to going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics