Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 09:08 PM

11,864 posts, read 11,085,922 times

Advertisements

Evening y’all and welcome to the weekend
Man, it sure has been a wet one tonight, but at least
no fire danger and happy flowers, so can’t complain

Anywhoo, let’s dive right into . . .

Today's Questions:
In honor of Alan Shepard becoming the 1st American in space,

Is there something you’ve done where you were the first one in your family and/or
group of friends to do it?

If so, what was it?

Is there someone you know, family/friends, who has done something that you wish
you had done?

If so, what is it and would you still like to?

Bonus Questions:
Today’s bonus question comes all the way from Arizona Well, maybe it’s not
that far for most of you, but it be a ways from me lol Thanks MM!

Recently on the QOTD, the subject of blowing the horn while driving came up, so let's
talk about discourteous drivers. These are the people who do things like making a lot of
other drivers in a parking lot wait for them to back out of a parking spot - like while they
put on make-up or talk on their cell

Do you have a lot of discourteous drivers in your area?

Describe your most recent encounter with those kinds of drivers.

Describe what type of discourteous behavior you see the most.

Have you ever done anything (intentional or unintentional) while driving that could be
considered discourteous by other drivers?

Just for Fun

For $100,000 would you spend an entire Saturday walking around a busy shopping mall
barking and growling like a dog at the shoppers?

Today in History:

1862 - French army intervenes in Puebla, Mexico: Cinco de Mayo
1865 - 1st U.S. train robbery (North Bend Ohio)
1893 - Panic of 1893: Great crash on New York Stock Exchange
1944 - Gandhi freed from prison
1945 - Mauthausen concentration camp liberated
1961 - Alan Shepard becomes 1st American in space (aboard Freedom 7)
1988 - Eugene Marino installed as 1st black U.S. Archbishop

Quote of the Day:

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

~~ Mahatma Gandhi

This Week Is:

National Safe Kids Week
National Be Kind To Animals Week
National Teacher Appreciation Week
National Family Week
Clear Air Week

Today Is:

Cinco De Mayo
Hug A Pet Day
Museum Lovers Day

Now get out and enjoy your weekend, and of course

Last edited by JustJoy; 05-04-2012 at 09:47 PM.. Reason: WTH? Those text enhance links come and go
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 09:30 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,104,559 times
Happy weekend to my fellow nutty posters on CD .... Weekend's just calling my name ever so tenderly and I decided to give heed

Today's Questions:

Is there something you’ve done where you were the first one in your family and/or
Travel to Canada solo ...

If so, what was it? I just told ya ... Pay attention

you had done? I have a cousin in her early twenties who has already traveled to Europe and who is on a flight at this moment for an internship in Spain

If so, what is it and would you still like to? LOL! You ain't paying attention

Bonus Questions:

Recently on the QOTD, the subject of blowing the horn while driving came up, so let's
talk about discourteous drivers. These are the people who do things like making a lot of
other drivers in a parking lot wait for them to back out of a parking spot - like while they

Do you have a lot of discourteous drivers in your area? Yes ... I'm sure many of them do not even have valid drivers licenses either as they are ... ahem ... used to driving in another country that fail to give heed to pedestrians, among other issues.

Describe your most recent encounter with those kinds of drivers: Nothing stands out ... Just the usual idiotic, clueless, dingbats that cut me off when I'm trying to cross the street on MY LIGHT! (growl)

Describe what type of discourteous behavior you see the most: As a pedestrian who has to wait patiently for the signal to cross, I really detest drivers that rush to make that right turn on red, which can cause me to miss my light

Have you ever done anything (intentional or unintentional) while driving that could be
considered discourteous by other drivers? Just walking slow across the street (I still had my light though) because my knee was bothering me. I try to be courteous but really wish drivers can be more mindful and considerate of pedestrians (and bike riders).

Just for Fun

For $100,000 would you spend an entire Saturday walking around a busy shopping mall
barking and growling like a dog at the shoppers? Oh, heck YEAH!

GROWL! ARF! ARF! WHAT'cha lookin' at, bozo?!

Old 05-04-2012, 09:48 PM

31,304 posts, read 33,027,431 times
Today's Questions:

Is there something you’ve done where you were the first one in your family and/or group of friends to do it?

If so, what was it? I was still in high school at the time and honestly don’t remember much of the actual event of the day. I also don’t remember much of the math class instructions and assignments either.

Is there someone you know, family/friends, who has done something that you wish you had done? Yes, If I tell you that, my family would disown me for sure!

Nothing that I can think of right now; my family and friends are somewhat a group of xxxxxxxxx so I really can’t talk about it that much.

Bonus Questions:
Today’s bonus question comes all the way from Arizona Well, maybe it’s not that far for most of you, but it be a ways from me lol Thanks MM!

Recently on the QOTD, the subject of blowing the horn while driving came up, so let's talk about discourteous drivers. These are the people who do things like making a lot of other drivers in a parking lot wait for them to back out of a parking spot - like while they put on make-up or talk on their cell

Do you have a lot of discourteous drivers in your area? Discourteous drivers in my area,,, yes some are.

Describe your most recent encounter with those kinds of drivers. Yesterday on the freeway.

They usually are driving more than 10 mph over the posted limits on the freeway, until there’s an accident which then turns the freeway into a long long parking lot while everyone waits for the cleanup.

Have you ever done anything (intentional or unintentional) while driving that could be considered discourteous by other drivers? Fail to signal a turn once in a while.

Just for Fun

For $100,000 would you spend an entire Saturday walking around a busy shopping mall barking and growling like a dog at the shoppers? For a $100,000! Yes I will do that. Send me the money!
Spoiler
And I’ll pee on a fire hydrant for an extra $10,000

Old 05-04-2012, 09:53 PM

114,838 posts, read 66,206,798 times
Sounded like a line from NES!
Today's Questions:

If so, what was it?

you had done?

Bonus Questions:

Rarely!

Just for Fun

I'd even bite some!!

Today in History:

1865 - 1st U.S. train robbery (North Bend Ohio)
1893 - Panic of 1893: Great crash on New York Stock Exchange
1944 - Gandhi freed from prison
1945 - Mauthausen concentration camp liberated
1961 - Alan Shepard becomes 1st American in space (aboard Freedom 7)
1988 - Eugene Marino installed as 1st black U.S. Archbishop

Quote of the Day:

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

~~ Mahatma Gandhi

This Week Is:

National Safe Kids Week
National Be Kind To Animals Week
National Teacher Appreciation Week
National Family Week
Clear Air Week

Today Is:

Cinco De Mayo
Hug A Pet Day
Museum Lovers Day

Now get out and enjoy your weekend, and of course

Thanks JJ!

Last edited by SATX56; 05-04-2012 at 10:02 PM..

Old 05-04-2012, 10:38 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,372,478 times
Why, how nice - I popped in to see what was new before heading for bed, and Joy has the question up already! Thanks for the early chance at it, Joy; tomorrow is going to be another busy day, and I'm not likely to have much time for dawdling here.

Today's Questions:

Is there something you’ve done where you were the first one in your family and/or group of friends to do it?

Well, I guess you could say that, in a manner of speaking.

If so, what was it?

At age 39, I was the first person in my family or circle of co-workers/friends to get joint-replacement surgery. I know, not very exciting, is it?

Is there someone you know, family/friends, who has done something that you wish you had done?

Oh, sure.

I know someone who learned to play the piano as a youngster and never stopped; she still goes home after a long stressful day and relaxes with Bach at the keyboard. I was foolish enough to drop piano lessons as a teenager, and I've regretted it for decades. Would love to take it back up again, but I suspect I'm too old at this point.

Bonus Questions:
Today’s bonus question comes all the way from Arizona Well, maybe it’s not that far for most of you, but it be a ways from me lol Thanks MM!

Recently on the QOTD, the subject of blowing the horn while driving came up, so let's talk about discourteous drivers. These are the people who do things like making a lot of other drivers in a parking lot wait for them to back out of a parking spot - like while they put on make-up or talk on their cell

Not really, or at least not locals. Folks from elsewhere are sometimes less polite.

I don't really recall anything in particular.

I don't really see that much.

Have you ever done anything (intentional or unintentional) while driving that could be considered discourteous by other drivers?

I am sure some other drivers would think so.

Just for Fun

For $100,000 would you spend an entire Saturday walking around a busy shopping mall barking and growling like a dog at the shoppers?

For $100,000? Heck, yeah! But it would take at least half a million to get me to pee on their legs...

Old 05-04-2012, 10:50 PM

16,489 posts, read 24,581,263 times
Today's Questions:

group of friends to do it? Yes

If so, what was it? First one in my family to move out of state.

you had done? Yes.

If so, what is it and would you still like to? Traveled and yes I would love to do that, just can't afford it.

Bonus Questions:

Do you have a lot of discourteous drivers in your area? No.

Describe what type of discourteous behavior you see the most. Driving too slow, especially tourists in the summer.

considered discourteous by other drivers? Honking and flipping them off.

Just for Fun

barking and growling like a dog at the shoppers? Gosh, for $100,000 I think I would.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:51 PM

8,394 posts, read 3,508,612 times
Today's Questions:

Yes

If so, what was it?
Emigrated to the other side of the world

you had done?
Yes

I have a friend who is a composer of music (well known in his country of origin) - I would have liked to have the talent and skill needed to do that - but alas I don't!

Bonus Questions:

No, not really. But I live in a country town, so there isn't very much traffic.

I really haven't noticed any, except for those who like to pull out from a side street right in front of you (even though there is no one behind you) and then proceed to drive at 40kph in a 60kph zone.

^^ What I said above.

I have been known to tailgate the occasional driver who hogs the overtaking lane while driving well below the speed limit - but it doesn't happen very often. In other words I am generally only discourteous to drivers who are being discourteous to me.

Just for Fun

I guess I would, but since you didn't specify which shopping mall, I'd choose one far away from home, where no-one knew me!

Thanks JJ.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

Last edited by Kobber; 05-04-2012 at 11:05 PM..

Old 05-04-2012, 11:37 PM

44,753 posts, read 62,104,060 times
Today's Questions:

group of friends to do it? Yes.

If so, what was it? So many things, it would take up pages to list.

you had done? No, they all wait for me to do it, "dare ya nitram".

Bonus Questions:

Do you have a lot of discourteous drivers in your area? Who doesn't.

Describe your most recent encounter with those kinds of drivers. Some middle aged bald guy cut me off on the freewway recently.

Describe what type of discourteous behavior you see the most. The ones that raise a finger and shout I'm #1.

considered discourteous by other drivers? Who me, nah.

Just for Fun

barking and growling like a dog at the shoppers? Oh heck yes. That'd be a fun way to make $100,000, grrrr.

Saturday, good day to build a brick walkway, enjoy...

Old 05-05-2012, 12:58 AM

16,913 posts, read 16,235,965 times
Today's Questions:

~ I don't know.

If so, what was it? ~ I don't know.

you had done?
~ Yeah. Not leave the band for some creepy girlfriend and get into famous bands like they did.

~ Yep.

Bonus Questions:

~ That's not discourteous at all. It's their parking spot and it's theirs until they are done with it.....I don't care if they're knitting or listening to music or eating a two foot sub.
Screw the impatient people. Go park somewhere else.
Heck, next time I get some clown doing that to me I think I'll get out and wax my truck.

~ Stupid ones with no licenses or insurance and they drive around drunk.
They're here illegally.

~ Nope. I'll get all riled up and I'm gonna enjoy my Saturday.

~ I just did.

~ Yeah. I drive safely.

Just for Fun

~ I'd do that for free, but I'd much rather make goat sounds.

Today in History: ~ ain't happenin'.

Quote of the Day: ~ ain't happenin'. dam underlined crap

This Week Is:

National Safe Kids Week ~ They jump in front of moving vehicles and do this idiot car-surfing stuff and get killed. Who's fault is that?
National Be Kind To Animals Week ~ I'm still after the big lizard that's under my refrigerator right now. He'll die soon if I don't get him. He needs a drink! I'll get him, don't worry.
National Teacher Appreciation Week ~ That's cool. They are brave!
They also need to appreciate that they have jobs and get over the greedy complaining.
National Family Week ~ I have my wife and 3 cats and my rooster and my mom and stepdad up in North Carolina and my dad in New York. The rest of the family are true ignorant, hateful A-Hs. Real morons. Screw them.
Clear Air Week ~ I want heavy clouds and rain.

*** Happy Derby Day, folks! HappyWishes, good eats and miracles for those that need them.....well, that's wishes for the miracles....I don't actually perform them....except when I eat 15 tacos at Taco Bell. *** Thanks, Joy! Thanks, Mike!

Today Is:

Cinco De Mayo~ Sink-o get losto day
Hug A Pet Day ~ That's every day and night!

Last edited by rainroosty; 05-05-2012 at 01:24 AM..

Old 05-05-2012, 01:15 AM

44,467 posts, read 20,252,965 times
Today's Questions:
In honor of Alan Shepard becoming the 1st American in space, is there something you’ve done where you were the first one in your family and/or group of friends to do it? Yes.
If so, what was it? I was the first person in my family of five to graduate from college, and I happen to be the youngest.
Is there someone you know, family/friends, who has done something that you wish you had done? Yes.
If so, what is it and would you still like to? I have a few friends who have traveled extensively throughout the world, and I would love to do that. My bucket list includes several big trips. Even one would make me very happy, so I hope to accomplish that sometime within the next few years.

Bonus Questions:
Recently on the QOTD, the subject of blowing the horn while driving came up, so let's talk about discourteous drivers. These are the people who do things like making a lot of other drivers in a parking lot wait for them to back out of a parking spot - like while they put on make-up or talk on their cell If they're already in a parking spot, I don't care about that. If they block an aisle for a long time waiting for a parking spot to open, that bugs me because no one can get through. I don't wait for a space that's 10' closer to the door. I usually park in the farthest parking spot I can find because I like to walk and also it's less hassle when leaving.
Do you have a lot of discourteous drivers in your area? Yes, lots.
Describe your most recent encounter with those kinds of drivers. It's a daily occurrence here; too many to list. Yesterday I had someone tailgating me so closely that he must have been inches from my rear bumper. And we were traveling 60 mph! I'm not easily intimidated when driving, that that guy scared the crap out of me. There was nothing I could do to get out of the situation. I was so relieved when he finally turned off the highway.
Describe what type of discourteous behavior you see the most. Too many to list, but they include not using signals, tailgating, weaving while talking on the phone or texting, zipping back and forth between lanes in heavy traffic and cutting people off.

Have you ever done anything (intentional or unintentional) while driving that could be considered discourteous by other drivers? I'm sure I unintentionally tick another driver off once in a while. I suspect everyone does.

Just for Fun
For $100,000 would you spend an entire Saturday walking around a busy shopping mall barking and growling like a dog at the shoppers? For that kind of money, you bet your sweet bippy I would!

Today in History:

Today Is:
Cinco De Mayo

Hug A Pet Day I just did!
Museum Lovers Day I do love museums!

Have a fantastic weekend, everyone!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 05-05-2012 at 01:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics