Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 07:42 PM

11,874 posts, read 11,046,013 times

Advertisements

Happy Friday y’all and thank God the weekend’s here!
13 hour work day yesterday, about 10 today - the girl’s tired &
might just call it a night. 8:30PM on a Friday night
'You know you're old when . . .'

and since I ain't gettin' any younger let's take a gander at . . .

Today's Questions:
It finally clicked today that we’re coming up on the end of October and that means Halloween
is right around the corner

Do you decorate your home on Halloween?

If so, when do you start putting up decorations?

Do you dress up to pass out candy?
(if so, what will you ‘be’ this year? )

If you do buy candy to pass out to the little ghouls, do you buy extra ‘just for you’?

When you were a kid and went trick or treating, what’s the lamest thing someone gave you?

Today’s Bonus Questions
It appears you folks in the more northern part of the Northern Hemisphere are going to be in for quite
a show this weekend with the Orionid meteor shower passing overhead.

Do you have plans to watch it?

How about our in-house photographers - are you going to try and capture the moment?

Just for Fun
For all you die-hard grillers in CD Land

What’s the worst weather you’ve braved to grill your favorite foods?

Today in History:

1803 - U.S. Senate ratifies Louisiana Purchase
1817 - 1st Mississippi "Showboat," leaves Nashville on maiden voyage
1820 - Spain sells part of Florida to U.S. for $5 million
1864 - Lincoln formally establishes Thanksgiving as a national holiday
1903 - U.S. wins disputed boundary between District of Alaska and Canada
1944 - U.S. forces under General Douglas MacArthur return to Philippines
1955 - Harry Belafonte records "Day-O" (Banana Boat Song)
1975 - Supreme Court rules teachers could spank their pupils after warning
2010 - Astronomers discover the new galaxy UDFy-38135539, the most distant object observed from earth

Quote of the Day:

”Life is a series of experiences, each one of which makes us bigger, even though
sometimes it is hard to realize this. For the world was built to develop character,
and we must learn that the setbacks and grieves which we endure help us in our
marching onward.”

~~ Henry Ford

Today Is:

Evaluate Your Life Day
National Fruit Day
Sweetest Day (third Saturday in October)

Enjoy the weekend and

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 07:43 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,825,817 times
Today’s Question: Saturday, 20 October 2012

You can't think to fill in the blanks!

Multiple choice..

Today's Questions:
It finally clicked today that we’re coming up on the end of October and that means Halloween

If you do buy candy to pass out to the little ghouls, do you buy extra ‘just for you’?

When you were a kid and went trick or treating, what’s the lamest thing someone gave you?
Probably a rock or a pecan...

Today’s Bonus Questions
It appears you folks in the more northern part of the Northern Hemisphere are going to be in for quite

How about our in-house photographers - are you going to try and capture the moment?

Just for Fun

Hot weather...

Today in History:

1820 - Spain sells part of Florida to U.S. for $5 million Now Cuba owns it..
2010 - Astronomers discover the new galaxy UDFy-38135539, the most distant object observed from earth

Quote of the Day:

”Life is a series of experiences, each one of which makes us bigger, even though
sometimes it is hard to realize this. For the world was built to develop character,
marching onward.”

~~ Henry Ford

Today Is:

Evaluate Your Life Day
National Fruit Day

Enjoy the weekend and
Thanks Joy!

Old 10-19-2012, 08:01 PM

38,886 posts, read 22,870,508 times
Today's Questions:

Do you decorate your home on Halloween? No

When you were a kid and went trick or treating, what’s the lamest thing someone gave you? Dum-Dums suckers.

Today’s Bonus Questions

Do you have plans to watch it? Not really.

Just for Fun

What’s the worst weather you’ve braved to grill your favorite foods? Cloudy and starting to sprinkle, at which point the party was moved inside.

Have a great weekend!

Old 10-19-2012, 08:35 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,278,987 times

and since I ain't gettin' any younger let's take a gander at . . . [/i]

Today's Questions:

Do you decorate your home on Halloween? ~ I do.

If so, when do you start putting up decorations? ~ the beginning of autumn usually (September 21st or so)

Do you dress up to pass out candy? I pass out candy, but I do not dress up. It's scary enough , I'm sure, just being myself.

If you do buy candy to pass out to the little ghouls, do you buy extra ‘just for you’? ~ always

When you were a kid and went trick or treating, what’s the lamest thing someone gave you? ~ People used to give out apples ( things were still pretty safe when I was young, but we really did not like getting apples even in 1958.)

Today’s Bonus Questions

Do you have plans to watch it? Gosh, I did not even know about this, but it's raining again so I wouldn't be able to see it anyway.

Just for Fun

I really don't grill things outside anymore. It's just Sophie the cat and me & she doesn't care........

Quote of the Day:

marching onward.”

~~ Henry Ford

I like this quote; thanks, Joy for sharing it.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Last edited by nancy thereader; 10-19-2012 at 09:00 PM..

Old 10-19-2012, 08:56 PM

15,927 posts, read 8,138,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoy View Post

HAppy Birthday Joyster! LoL!

Today's Questions:

Do you decorate your home on Halloween?You betcha!

If so, when do you start putting up decorations?Usually the first week in October!

Do you dress up to pass out candy?Heck no, we live in the stix, no one comes here to trick or treat.
(if so, what will you ‘be’ this year? ) I do dress up, we usually have a party, or go to one! Not sure what I'll be this year, maybe just tattoo sleeves and paint my face.

If you do buy candy to pass out to the little ghouls, do you buy extra ‘just for you’?We buy tons for us little goblins.

When you were a kid and went trick or treating, what’s the lamest thing someone gave you?Pennies, cuz they ran out of candy!

Today’s Bonus Questions

Do you have plans to watch it?Man, it's always way past my bed time. 2 - 6 in the morning.

Just for Fun

What’s the worst weather you’ve braved to grill your favorite foods?I went to Va. one Thanksgiving & watched the guys fry a turkey outside, with snow on the ground. Fun time!

Quote of the Day:

marching onward.”

~~ Henry Ford
The sooner we realize this, the better it gets, and remember......no one gets out alive!

Today Is:

Evaluate Your Life Day
National Fruit Day

Enjoy the weekend and
You too Miss Joy! Have a fab weekend everyone!

Last edited by Sweetie Pie; 10-19-2012 at 09:14 PM..

Old 10-19-2012, 08:59 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,003,579 times
Today's Questions:

I do not. Most years I am not home.

While I am some what of a procrastinator, This is one thing I do not procrastinate on. I start not decorating several months in advance

I am not about to put on a suit just so I can give a bunch of kids some candy. Oh, you mean do I put on a costume. I do not.

I use to, but anymore I buy stuff I do not like so that I do not eat it all. If I still have any candy left over when I have decided I am thru dealing with kids, I wait til I get a single trick or treater at the door and then I dump all of the remaining candy in that kids bag.

A discount coupon for a burger joint on the other side of town.

Today’s Bonus Questions

I will be sorta in the Seattle area over the weekend. I think it is suppose to be cloudy.

Seeing how I am not one of the in-house photographers I will not be trying to capture the moment.

Just for Fun

I would have to say it was when I drove back to Alaska in 1983. It was my last night in Canada and the dump, I mean dive, I mean motel I was staying in had lots and lots and lots of signs everywhere saying I could not cook in the room. I did not have any food left that did not require cooking and I was not about to pay a bunch of money it eat in the motel diner. There was a sheltered place outside the motel but it too had lots of no cooking signs. So I drove a mile to place where I could pull off the highway. It was raining very hard and the wind was probably blowing 25 to 30 mph. I used my car as a wind block and had to build a roof for my grill to keep the food dry while cooking. About half way thru the tin foil roof departed my grill to go visit some other place in Canada. At that point I decided everything was as cooked as it was going to get. I loaded everything back in the car and returned to the motel to eat my very rare steak.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:02 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,018,776 times
Today's Questions:

Do you decorate your home on Halloween? no

If so, when do you start putting up decorations? n/a

Do you dress up to pass out candy? don't pass out candy but may dress up this year.

When you were a kid and went trick or treating, what’s the lamest thing someone gave you? Don't recall :think:

Old 10-19-2012, 09:09 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,420,256 times
Default qotd

a
Quote:

Today's Questions:

Do you decorate your home on Halloween? No, although I like fall decorations and flowers.

Do you dress up to pass out candy? No.
(if so, what will you ‘be’ this year? )I am volunteering at a Halloween party for the aquarium, unless I have to work. I need to come up with a costume.

If you do buy candy to pass out to the little ghouls, do you buy extra ‘just for you’? A little bit.

When you were a kid and went trick or treating, what’s the lamest thing someone gave you? Nothing ... I always liked all of my candy.

Today’s Bonus Questions

Do you have plans to watch it? Didn't know about it.

Just for Fun

What’s the worst weather you’ve braved to grill your favorite foods? This was more necessity than fun. In 1993 I lived in Rome GA and we had a blizzard. No one quite believed that it was really going to snow that much. One of my neighbors and I were frantically trying to make coffee on her gas grill! I think all of the guys were off at work. I can just see us shivering, shaking and making the coffee.

Today in History:

1903 - U.S. wins disputed boundary between District of Alaska and CanadaJust think -- Mutt could have been Russian or Canadian.
1975 - Supreme Court rules teachers could spank their pupils after warning --Believe it or not, I had a paddle a few years when I taught. I was so tiny and looked so young. There was an older custodian who said, "honey, you'll need a paddle and I'm going to carve you one." He did! I never used it much but it used to sit on my desk. The only time I remember paddling was for bus duty problems and this was just a few times. Believe me -- all I could hurt was pride!

Quote of the Day:

marching onward.”

~~ Henry Ford

Good quote. One of the colleges I went to was Berry College, near Rome Georgia. (It has Mt. Berry Georgia as its own address). Mr. Ford visited the college (before my time) and donated a lot of money to it. There are some buildings named after him.

Today Is:

Evaluate Your Life Day -- I've already done this! Now it's time to get on with the living!
National Fruit Day -- will make sure and eat some.
Sweetest Day (third Saturday in October) -- for some reason I can remember seeing this on calendars.

Enjoy the weekend and

Last edited by antiquesmountainapache; 10-19-2012 at 09:20 PM..

Old 10-19-2012, 09:15 PM

51,691 posts, read 15,693,489 times
Quote:

Today's Questions:

Do you decorate your home on Halloween? Not anymore.

Do you dress up to pass out candy? I use to.

If you do buy candy to pass out to the little ghouls, do you buy extra ‘just for you’? No

When you were a kid and went trick or treating, what’s the lamest thing someone gave you? I don't remember.

Today’s Bonus Questions

Do you have plans to watch it? This is the first I've heard about it.

Just for Fun

What’s the worst weather you’ve braved to grill your favorite foods? I don't grill so the weather doesn't matter much to me.

Today in History:

Quote of the Day:

marching onward.”

~~ Henry Ford

Today Is:

Evaluate Your Life Day
National Fruit Day

Enjoy the weekend
You do the same,JJ.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:53 PM

7,367 posts, read 5,481,324 times
The weekend is here!! Hope everyone has a good one!

Today's Questions:

Do you decorate your home on Halloween? yes

If so, when do you start putting up decorations? the first week of October

Do you dress up to pass out candy? no

If you do buy candy to pass out to the little ghouls, do you buy extra ‘just for you’? of course

When you were a kid and went trick or treating, what’s the lamest thing someone gave you? a toothbrush (from a dentist)

Today’s Bonus Questions

Do you have plans to watch it? yes

Just for Fun

What’s the worst weather you’ve braved to grill your favorite foods? A couple weekends ago it was pretty cold but we did deep fried turkey outside. It was good!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics