Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 05:33 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,479,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
I would love to hear more about how you manage what must be a very difficult lifestyle.
I'm glad you are on this forum.
Not anymore, thank God! I ran away from that situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 12:03 AM

18,760 posts, read 11,821,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Flower View Post
No, I haven't worked in a while! I tried (for a little over a nanno second, okay, an hour...) to have a yard sale but it is too cold today. I did get $6 from a neighbor for my three drawer plastic rolling cart.

At least I tried.
Can you contact the utility companies and explain your situation? They have programs to help people in need. You should also qualify for food stamps. Are there food pantries in your area? We have a place called Manpower that will find temporary work. There may be something like that in your area. We have an agency therapist that barely gets any hours now that had her 4 grandkids dumped on her by her drug addicted jailbird daughter. She was barely making it on her own let alone feed 4 kids. She doesn't qualify for welfare as she doesn't have legal custody of the kids. We all got together and raised some money for her and the ones with kids donated some clothes for the kids. She does visit food pantries. Are you involved with any churches? Put an ad in all of the grocery stores by your house for house cleaning. Anybody else out there with some good ideas? I hope things get better for you soon.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:11 AM

9,000 posts, read 10,195,267 times
Here's something I survived, from a long long list.
I'll pick the least stressful experience.
I survived my brakes totally going out on me w/ a van full of kids.
I was at a speed of maybe 45 mph & as I tried to slow down--nothing.
I believe the break lines were cut. Nevertheless, somehow I kept my wits about me, and safely somehow got the vehicle off the busy streets to a safe stop.
Looking back I don't know how I kept so calm.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:19 AM

I had this crazy car that would accelerate when you took your foot off of the gas pedal and decelerate if you pushed the gas pedal. DH and I were on the highway and I was driving when it happened. I managed to get it off the road and turn it off. I turned it back on and it was fine. When I was in my 20's I drove a mini bus for special ed kids and someone hit me and nearly overturned the bus. I saw the ground for a split second but managed to turn the wheel and bring it upright. Don't ask me how, just dumb luck. I asked the guy how he managed to do that and he said he didn't see me. How do you miss a school bus?

Old 04-23-2012, 11:50 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,922,500 times
  • While in the military back in the mid 60’s there was an incident that was life changing for me, however a friend gave me information five days earlier that made the difference and changed my direction of service and education thus I’m here today because of that one piece of information that he told me.
  • Early in my job career while working on open telephone lines in the rural country and establishing service, I was hanging on a pole with the steel wiring running by my head and arms when a big thunder and lightning storm moved into view a few miles down the line. I was lucky to get off the pole and avoid injury when lightning stuck.
  • Another incident occurred years ago while working for a large communications company. I was on the job and nearly electrocuted and or severely injured by steam pipes in the area of my work assignment that day. I was able to escape with just a cut on my arm and a bump on the head.
  • Another incident on the job was changing a large number of batteries used for backup on a communications system. Again nearly electrocuted by high amp DC voltage at the time while working on the exchange of batteries and keeping the system regulator/converters operating the main system.

Last edited by AksarbeN; 04-23-2012 at 11:59 AM..

Old 04-23-2012, 01:10 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,479,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Can you contact the utility companies and explain your situation? They have programs to help people in need. You should also qualify for food stamps. Are there food pantries in your area? We have a place called Manpower that will find temporary work. There may be something like that in your area. We have an agency therapist that barely gets any hours now that had her 4 grandkids dumped on her by her drug addicted jailbird daughter. She was barely making it on her own let alone feed 4 kids. She doesn't qualify for welfare as she doesn't have legal custody of the kids. We all got together and raised some money for her and the ones with kids donated some clothes for the kids. She does visit food pantries. Are you involved with any churches? Put an ad in all of the grocery stores by your house for house cleaning. Anybody else out there with some good ideas? I hope things get better for you soon.
Another good way to get some money is to donate blood to the Red Cross. You get $50 each time and you can donate every 52 days or something like that.

Old 04-23-2012, 01:54 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,695,476 times
The first time(and last) I went to county jail for drug posession. Oh my god there are so many nut cases there.What a night! I thought I was tough, kind of puts things in perspective. And to think that was just county jail. I can't imagine a kid going to the state pen the first time.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
  • While in the military back in the mid 60’s there was an incident that was life changing for me, however a friend gave me information five days earlier that made the difference and changed my direction of service and education thus I’m here today because of that one piece of information that he told me.
  • Early in my job career while working on open telephone lines in the rural country and establishing service, I was hanging on a pole with the steel wiring running by my head and arms when a big thunder and lightning storm moved into view a few miles down the line. I was lucky to get off the pole and avoid injury when lightning stuck.
  • Another incident occurred years ago while working for a large communications company. I was on the job and nearly electrocuted and or severely injured by steam pipes in the area of my work assignment that day. I was able to escape with just a cut on my arm and a bump on the head.
  • Another incident on the job was changing a large number of batteries used for backup on a communications system. Again nearly electrocuted by high amp DC voltage at the time while working on the exchange of batteries and keeping the system regulator/converters operating the main system.
I've taken care of lightening victims and electrocution victims. It cured me from wanting to be any where near electricity or out side during thunder storms. The lightening pattern with the exit wound on the feet of the lightening victim was pretty fascinating. All that for a round of golf. We just discharged an electrocution victim from my current hospital. He is in a wheel chair and barely able to move his arms. Be safe now.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
The first time(and last) I went to county jail for drug posession. Oh my god there are so many nut cases there.What a night! I thought I was tough, kind of puts things in perspective. And to think that was just county jail. I can't imagine a kid going to the state pen the first time.
Early on in his career DH was a corrections officer in Chicago. He had some stories . Why do you want to mess up your life and your body with that stuff? We recently had a child actor from a film I have that went through an overdose. The lights are on but nobody is home. He's only around 19 or 20 and his life is over. I have seen this many many times in the ER's I've worked. I've also helped RN's administer charcoal to absorb the drugs. IT AIN'T PRETTY. Turn your life around before it's to late. Take it from someone who is much older than you and has seen a lot having worked in health care for 20+ years. There is a better path for you.

Old 04-24-2012, 02:59 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,624,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Hurricanes are horrifying enough. I'm glad you're OK. We had a close call with a tornado in Chicago of all places. We bought all of these tickets for the Taste of Chicago and this black wall cloud came toward us. I could see papers swirling around the top. We all started running but it swerved off and hit a tent full of kids. Luckily there were no injuries. They closed the Taste and we had to sell all of out tickets for half price. We had been trying to go down there for years and all we had to eat was a bowl of rice. Did your house get damaged?
Thanks. No we got through 4 without any problems. (Most houses in S Florida have no basements and are made of concrete CBS/stucco)

The funny thing with hurricanes is they cant ever be predicted, it was headed toward us then 20 minutes before it was to hit Boca, it went north to Port St Lucie. Boiling water for a week and trying to find gas is no fun though. Also there are more robberies and looting , as a by-product of hurricanes, in florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics