Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 12:55 AM

16,805 posts, read 17,573,189 times

Advertisements

Good morning peevers.

It was very dark outside when I went out to sort out various things this morning.

Needless to say we are nearing the Winter Solstice- anyone want to come and see Stonehenge, just up the road, for the festival?

Now I know that the hours of daylight vary according to where you live, so any comments are appreciated by us peevers.

Today's peeve;

Dark mornings/evenings with short daylight hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 01:19 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,490,989 times
Good morning from a dark, damp England. It is just getting light out, and it's 8.20 am.
It will get dark again at 4pm. Very depressing, but as Jezer says, it's almost the shortest
day of the year so will soon start getting lighter. I saw Stonehenge once in the early 70s.
I was in the army, and we drove past it in a lorry. Shame we could'nt have stopped for a
better look!!

Old 12-19-2011, 01:32 AM

Back then Dave you could have wandered round the site and got in among the stones. Alas no more!

For anyone interested here is a link I found to the Druid ceremony to be held later in the week:

Stonehenge Winter Solstice Ceremony

Old 12-19-2011, 01:34 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,445,735 times
I actually don't mind having a short daylight day. It never has bothered me at all. I think I must have been an Alaskan in another life.

I've been to Stonehenge. I really expected to feel something since I usually have weird psychic stuff happen to me all the time. But, I really didn't feel anything at all. I did start crying while walking along the Thames the next day. My friends said "Why are you crying?" I replied "Shakespeare could have stood in this exact spot."

Yeah, I'm odd. Imagine what a joy it is to travel with me.

Old 12-19-2011, 02:03 AM

44,753 posts, read 62,104,060 times
Our daylight times are at their shortest now, they start around 7am until about 5:30pm. When summer arrives it'll be light from about 4:30 am til 9pm in the evening at it's longest.

Old 12-19-2011, 03:29 AM

I've just looked up our sunrise and sunset times, which for me makes for depressing viewing;

Salisbury Sunrise and Sunset times - weather.co.uk

I did like the longer hours of daylight in Texas but the counter to that was that sunset was earlier in the summer. Mind you at least that meant it got a tiny bit cooler!

Old 12-19-2011, 04:22 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,712,736 times
I would love to stop and see stonehenge.... Visited London once and passed by the English countryside enroute to the White cliffs of dover.
Would have loved to have more time exploring the beautiful English countryside.

Dont' like getting up early on dark mornings.....being retired I don't have to but today I volunteer at the hospital so I"m up.....yawn.
Nights don't bother me. I curl up with my blankie and watch TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
Good morning peevers.

It was very dark outside when I went out to sort out various things this morning.

Needless to say we are nearing the Winter Solstice- anyone want to come and see Stonehenge, just up the road, for the festival?

Now I know that the hours of daylight vary according to where you live, so any comments are appreciated by us peevers.

Today's peeve;

Old 12-19-2011, 04:32 AM

8,394 posts, read 3,508,612 times
I grew up in England and hated going to school in the dark (leaving home at about 8am) and coming home in the dark (school let out at 3.45pm). Just hated it!

On the other hand, I loved the long evenings in the summer, when it would still be light at 9.30pm or maybe even later. We have very short twilights in Australia - one minute it's dusk and the next minute (or so it seems), it's dark.

Old 12-19-2011, 05:12 AM

27,497 posts, read 27,521,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
Good morning peevers.

Today's peeve;

Good one. Im a sunshine person, regardless of the temps, just give me light.

Old 12-19-2011, 05:28 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,490,989 times
Talking of the English countryside, it is amazing with the population of this small island
that there is still so much of it. Devon and Cornwall are my favourite counties for admiring
the open landscapes. Yorkshire is beautiful as well. The wild coastline there and beautiful
beaches must be seen to be believed. Some pretty old towns as well. Whitby, where
Dracula landed on his oversea journey, at least in the book, is really nice. Very old fashioned,
full of antique shops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics