Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 10:05 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,372,478 times

Advertisements

Good Sunday morning, all, and happy October to you! We are having a brief flirtation with summer-like weather here in south-central Wisconsin, with blazing sunshine and daytime highs in the low 80s belying the calendar. But the leaves on the birches in the front yard are turning to pale gold and russet, the tomato plants have withered and blackened, and dark descends earlier each day, so I know this is only a teaser to lull us into pulling the shorts back out of the spare room: the chilly winds of autumn will return soon enough.

Still and all, I’ll enjoy the sun and the warmth while it lasts, and as we bask in the last fading remnants of summer, let’s take a few moments together to consider:

Today’s Question(s):

The last time you applied for a job, did you submit your application:
In person?
By postal mail?
By fax?
By email?
Through an online application process?
Other?

Which method of job application do you prefer to use?

Bonus Question:

Have you put away any of the following for the year:
Lawnmower?
Grill?
Air conditioners?
Shorts and flip-flops?

Have you had to use any of the following yet:
A rake?
A sweater or jacket?
A snow shovel??? (I hope not!)

Extra Credit Question:

How old were you when you moved out of your parents’ home?

Did you ever move back in with your parents?

Why, or why not?

Just for Fun:

Have you stocked up on candy for Halloween?

If so, have you “audited” the candy yet to be sure it is good enough to hand out to the little costumed beggars on the 31st?

Has anyone “audited” their Halloween candy so thoroughly that you need to go out and buy more??

Today in History:
1582 – Because of the implementation of the Gregorian calendar, this day does not exist in this year in Italy, Poland, Portugal and Spain
1604 – Kepler’s Supernova is first seen in northern Italy, the most recent supernova to have occurred in our galaxy
1701 – The Collegiate School of Connecticut (later renamed Yale University) is chartered in Old Saybrook, Connecticut
1888 – The Washington Monument, which at the time was the world’s tallest building, officially opens to the general public
1919 – The Black Sox scandal: the Cincinnati Reds win the World Series as a result of eight Chicago players intentionally losing games
1967 – Ernesto “Che” Guevara is executed for attempting to incite revolution in Bolivia
1981 – Capital punishment is abolished in France
1986 – The musical Phantom of the Opera has its world premiere at Her Majesty’s Theatre in London
1992 – A fragment of the Peekskill meteorite lands in the driveway of the Knapp residence in Peekskill, New York, destroying the family’s 1980 Chevy Malibu
2010 – After 34 days of drilling, a team using a massive drill completes a 28”-wide, 2,257-foot deep hole to reach the 33 trapped miners in Chile’s San Jose copper mine

Word of the Day:
Ninnyhammer \nĭn ē hăm ər\ noun
A fool; a blockhead

Today is:
Leif Erikson Day
Dessert Day
Fire Prevention Day
World Post Day
National Chess Day
Clergy Appreciation Day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2011, 10:06 PM

259,024 posts, read 91,044,479 times
Today’s Question(s):

In person?
By postal mail?
By fax?
By email?
Other?

Bonus Question:

Have you put away any of the following for the year: Not in FL.
Lawnmower?
Grill?
Air conditioners?
Shorts and flip-flops?

A rake?
A sweater or jacket?

Extra Credit Question:

How old were you when you moved out of your parents’ home? 17

Did you ever move back in with your parents? No

Why, or why not? Never needed to.

Just for Fun:

Have you stocked up on candy for Halloween? Wife did and hid it. I ate mine.

If so, have you “audited” the candy yet to be sure it is good enough to hand out to the little costumed beggars on the 31st? Audits are a necessity.

Has anyone “audited” their Halloween candy so thoroughly that you need to go out and buy more??

Today in History:
1582 – Because of the implementation of the Gregorian calendar, this day does not exist in this year in Italy, Poland, Portugal and Spain
1604 – Kepler’s Supernova is first seen in northern Italy, the most recent supernova to have occurred in our galaxy
1701 – The Collegiate School of Connecticut (later renamed Yale University) is chartered in Old Saybrook, Connecticut
1888 – The Washington Monument, which at the time was the world’s tallest building, officially opens to the general public
1919 – The Black Sox scandal: the Cincinnati Reds win the World Series as a result of eight Chicago players intentionally losing games
1967 – Ernesto “Che” Guevara is executed for attempting to incite revolution in Bolivia
1986 – The musical Phantom of the Opera has its world premiere at Her Majesty’s Theatre in London
1992 – A fragment of the Peekskill meteorite lands in the driveway of the Knapp residence in Peekskill, New York, destroying the family’s 1980 Chevy Malibu
2010 – After 34 days of drilling, a team using a massive drill completes a 28”-wide, 2,257-foot deep hole to reach the 33 trapped miners in Chile’s San Jose copper mine k:

Word of the Day:
A fool; a blockhead

Today is:
Leif Erikson Day
Dessert Day
Fire Prevention Day
World Post Day
National Chess Day
Clergy Appreciation Day

Old 10-08-2011, 10:07 PM

114,838 posts, read 66,206,798 times
Today’s Question(s):

In person?
By postal mail?
By fax?
By email?
Other?

None!

Bonus Question:

Lawnmower?
Grill?
Air conditioners?
Shorts and flip-flops?
No none of the above!
A rake?
A sweater or jacket?
No

Extra Credit Question:

Couple years out of HS!
Nope!
Why, or why not?
Got married

Just for Fun:

Wife has!
If so, have you “audited” the candy yet to be sure it is good enough to hand out to the little costumed beggars on the 31st?
Taste test?? Of course best to be sure...

Possibly!

Today in History:
2010 – After 34 days of drilling, a team using a massive drill completes a 28”-wide, 2,257-foot deep hole to reach the 33 trapped miners in Chile’s San Jose copper mine

Word of the Day:
A fool; a blockhead

Today is:
Leif Erikson Day Arrgh!
Dessert Day
Fire Prevention Day
World Post Day
National Chess Day
Clergy Appreciation Day

Thanks MBW!

Old 10-08-2011, 10:14 PM

8,394 posts, read 3,508,612 times
Today’s Question(s):

In person?
By postal mail?
By fax?
By email?
Other?
The last time I applied for a job was in 1975 - started my own business in 1977. I don't remember how my application was submitted but probably by snail mail since faxes, emails and the internet didn't exist!

I hope I don't have to apply for any jobs in the future!

Bonus Question:

Lawnmower?
I don't own one - but since it's spring here, my lawnmower man is now coming about once a week, so I hope he doesn't put his lawnmower away!
Grill?
Don't own one
Air conditioners?
My air conditioner is fixed
Shorts and flip-flops?
Nope, just getting them out.

A rake?
Rake is needed pretty much all year round where I live
A sweater or jacket?
With spring here, I won't be needing a sweater for another 8 months or so.
I'm pretty sure it's never snowed where I live!

Extra Credit Question:

Good grief, no!

Why, or why not?
I'm just amazed I managed to live at home until I was 17! It has never been a good idea to move back with them!

Just for Fun:

I always have stocks, regardless of the time of year.

Halloween isn't big in Australia - I haven't had any costumed beggars knocking on my door since I moved to this town nearly 6 years ago.

LOL - if I lived in the US that would be me!

Have a great Sunday.

Last edited by Kobber; 10-08-2011 at 10:27 PM..

Old 10-08-2011, 10:23 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,445,735 times
Today’s Question(s):

In person? In person in 1970. I worked for the same employer from 1970-2007 at which time I retired.
By postal mail?
By fax?
By email?
Other?

Bonus Question:

Lawnmower?
Grill?
Air conditioners?
Shorts and flip-flops?

None of these. I don't change things out.

A rake? Nope
A sweater or jacket? Nope
A snow shovel??? (I hope not!) Nope

Extra Credit Question:

I left for college when I was 18.

Did you ever move back in with your parents? Nope.

Why, or why not? After college I moved to Chicago for a job.

Just for Fun:

Have you stocked up on candy for Halloween? Yes and I am eating it right now.

If so, have you “audited” the candy yet to be sure it is good enough to hand out to the little costumed beggars on the 31st? Heeheehee.

Has anyone “audited” their Halloween candy so thoroughly that you need to go out and buy more?? No, but the month is young.

Today in History:

1919 – The Black Sox scandal: the Cincinnati Reds win the World Series as a result of eight Chicago players intentionally losing games "Say it ain't so, Joe."
1967 – Ernesto “Che” Guevara is executed for attempting to incite revolution in Bolivia He's lucky he lived that long.
1986 – The musical Phantom of the Opera has its world premiere at Her Majesty’s Theatre in London I love this musical.
2010 – After 34 days of drilling, a team using a massive drill completes a 28”-wide, 2,257-foot deep hole to reach the 33 trapped miners in Chile’s San Jose copper mine That was amazing to watch.

Word of the Day:
A fool; a blockhead
Oh, I like this word. Thanks!

Today is:
Leif Erikson Day
Dessert Day
Fire Prevention Day It's raining in the DFW area. This is the best form of fire prevention. Yippee!
World Post Day
National Chess Day
Clergy Appreciation Day Thanks, bro.

Old 10-08-2011, 11:08 PM
bjh

60,510 posts, read 30,648,867 times
...Still and all, I’ll enjoy the sun and the warmth while it lasts, and as we bask in the last fading remnants of summer, let’s take a few moments together to consider:

Very poetic, MWBW.

Today’s Question(s):
Through an online application process

I'm okay with online apps, but had to get used to them.

Bonus Question:
Lawnmower? not quite
Grill? never
Air conditioners? It's still a bit warm during the day.
Shorts and flip-flops? I don't wear flip flops. Am wearing shorts right now in fact.

A rake? mulching mower, so no
A sweater or jacket? not yet this season
A snow shovel??? (I hope not!) Maybe in Denver.

Extra Credit Question:
nineteen
no
Why, or why not?
Lucky, I guess. Economics have changed a lot for the average worker in the past several decades and not in a good way.

Just for Fun:
Not yet.

Today is:
Dessert Day
Fire Prevention Day safety first
World Post Day
Clergy Appreciation Day
National Chess Day checkmate
Leif Erikson Day Skol! May your day do you tribute.

Last edited by bjh; 10-08-2011 at 11:22 PM..

Old 10-09-2011, 12:55 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,490,989 times
The last job I applied for was by mail.I have put away my lawn mower till next spring. Not
my shorts though - I wear them in the house all year round! I put on a jacket yesterday to
go into town, first time since March. I moved out of the family home when I was 17, my
stepmother and I did'nt get along (to put it mildly!) We have no candy for Halloween because we'll be in Las Vegas. 25 years since the premiere of Phantom of the Opera. I saw
the show for the first time the week after it opened. I was stunned by it. I wrote a fan letter to Michael Crawford, first of a few which he always replied to. He agreed with me what
a great show it was and he said "I think it might run for a while"!!

Old 10-09-2011, 12:59 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,042,462 times
Today’s Question(s):

In person?
By postal mail?
By fax?
By email?
Other?
I gave it to someone who then sent it to the home office. It was just a formality as I already had been offered the job.

The back of a bar napkin

Bonus Question:

Lawnmower? Already put away
Grill? Use it year round
Air conditioners? Ain't got one
Shorts and flip-flops? My summer wardrobe and winter wardrobe are one and the same

A rake?
A sweater or jacket?
That is a big no to all 3. Of course I have not been home since early Aug.

Extra Credit Question:

Funny you should bring this up...I did not leave home. Instead, home left me. My first year of college was in my home town so there was no sense spending my own money on living expenses. Towards the end of the year my dad accepted a transfer out of state. I was going to be heading to Montana in the fall so I did not move with the family. My cheap living gig was up once mom sold the house. Oh...By the way, to answer the question, I was 19.

For a short time once I graduated from college.

Why, or why not?
I did not have a job straight out of college so I could not afford a place of my own.

Just for Fun:

Have not. Probably will not be home.

Once again, have not

I have never run out. The last several years there have been very few kids showing up on the doorstep. I always buy way too much because there are a lot of kids in the area and one of these years they will all show up

Old 10-09-2011, 01:16 AM

10,782 posts, read 8,759,050 times
Today’s Question(s):

In person?
By postal mail?
By fax?
By email?
Through an online application process
Other?

Bonus Question:

Lawnmower? Used all year round here, not as often in winter but still need to mow it.
Grill? Used all year too, it's always out on the covered patio
Air conditioners? Ours heats and cools so that's always "out", on the wall.
Shorts and flip-flops? Have brought these out since it's warming up here in Perth. 72F today.

A rake? No
A sweater or jacket? Have worn these for the past few months, and still need to for the evenings and nights.
A snow shovel??? (I hope not!) LOL! It'd be a phenomenon if it snowed here. I don't think you can even buy them in this State.

Extra Credit Question:

How old were you when you moved out of your parents’ home? 20

Did you ever move back in with your parents? No

Why, or why not? Didn't need to and wouldn't want to. Once I left the nest, I was gone.

Just for Fun:

Have you stocked up on candy for Halloween? Not yet. I'll buy a bag just in case soon. Halloween's not big here but there's been the odd Trick or Treater once in a while. We're in a new neighbourhood now, with more kids, so maybe I'll buy a couple more bags, just in case. It's not like they'd go to waste if no kids came around

If so, have you “audited” the candy yet to be sure it is good enough to hand out to the little costumed beggars on the 31st? N/A

Has anyone “audited” their Halloween candy so thoroughly that you need to go out and buy more?? No

Today is:
Leif Erikson Day I remember learning about him in History class!
Dessert Day Yum! Every day can be Dessert Day
Fire Prevention Day
World Post Day
National Chess Day I don't have the patience for Chess. Kudos to those that do.
Clergy Appreciation Day

Old 10-09-2011, 01:58 AM

782 posts, read 1,113,707 times
Today’s Question(s):

In person?
By postal mail?
By fax?
By email?
Other?

I filled out an Online Application....I was called 3 hours later for an interview the next day. It lasted 1/2 hour and 2 weeks later after a successful background check I was employed. I don't make a ton of money but it supports me and I work in a supportive enviornment.
I have to tell the back story..I moved to Phoenix in 2009..I left a job I loved and friends because my kids needed me here... I was unemployed for 2 years, I was at my wits end, and my self esteem was in the toilet from filling out applications and getting no where. I had 3 interviews in 2 years. I prayed and asked that I get a job with little or no interview and no resume.

Bonus Question:

Lawnmower? Don't have one
Grill? Yes
Air conditioners? No
Shorts and flip-flops? shorts yes, flip flops never

A rake? Yes
A sweater or jacket? Yes
A snow shovel??? (I hope not!) Heaven Forbid!!!

Extra Credit Question:

I was 19
back with in a year
Why, or why not?
Wasn't ready

Just for Fun:

No, I prolly won't have any spooky guests..
I tend to "audit" it all up
Yes
Today in History:

Word of the Day:
A fool; a blockhead

Today is:
Leif Erikson Day
Dessert Day
Fire Prevention Day
World Post Day
National Chess Day
Clergy Appreciation Day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics