Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 03:57 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,915,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Honey, I am far from being rich but I'm not sitting around whining about my lot in life. What I meant by my comment was that if you are sick of being poor, then do something constructive about your situation versus whining about being "stuck" with "inconsiderate" neighbors who are "rednecks, hispanics & welfare trash" (sounds like you are a bit elitist yourself BTW).
I'm not sitting around constantly whining EITHER. I'm venting a frustrating situation on a message board where a good proportion of others do the same thing. If I DIDNT vent about this somewhere, there's a good chance I would literally expode, perhaps all over the guilty neighbors lol.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:58 PM

6,107 posts, read 4,602,134 times
I sympathize with you wanting to have the trees. Even though your neighbor may have technically had the right to cut the tree down, a more neighborly approach may have been to consider your feelings and maybe try to work the fence around the tree or add some really dense shrubbery for a privacy screen.

For what it's worth, people in wealthier neighborhoods can be great neighbors or have a "it's all about me and my property rights and to hell with my neighbors" attitude just like in neighborhoods with lower incomes (the one difference being is that those in the more affluent areas may be more likely to have the funds to hire a lawyer to tell the neighbor to go pound sand rather than do it personally).It all depends on the individual and how considerately they were raised to be, and whether that's part of their nature.

As tempting as it may be to get mad at a neighbor over something maybe they should have been more considerate about, it may cause you more grief if you do, so just try to let yourself calm down over it (even though I'm sure it's tough) before loosing your cool with them. Nothing good typically comes of that other than feuds expending energy to aggravate each other- life's too short for that.

And just as others have said maybe you could plant something on your side of the line that would make it look better considering what's already done? There's something about gardening that is a natural stress reliever, and very satisfying to see you've added something pretty to a world that sometimes is drab.

Last edited by Jowel; 06-06-2011 at 04:08 PM..

Old 06-06-2011, 04:07 PM

I guess what it comes down to is that I feel seriously intruded upon. My home is what makes it bearable to live in this city basically, it's my sanctuary. You guys should have seen the canapy those trees made, they were almost like weeping willows in that sense. And because of the sun being blocked out the grass was the most beautiful green and so soft, it was such a nice spot for reading a good book, visiting with a friend etc.

Sigghh...I'm so weary of life here. I just want to win the lottery, chuck the chefs career I recently graduated from college for (since the jobs around here seem to all be going to illegals anyway, but THATS another topic altogether and if I think of that I will get even more depressed then I already am) and move to the coast with about 10 acres of land between me and other people. But I don't have good enough luck for that to happen lol

Old 06-06-2011, 04:32 PM

Silly me. I had hoped until an hour ago that they were leaving a few of the trees for even a minute of privacy in consideration for my feelings, but that last hope was just dashed as they're out there right now taking the remaining ones down.

Question: I noticed they are on MY side of the property line doing this. Is THIS legal ? Or can I go over and tell them that if they want the trees down, then they have to do it only from their side ? Why should I make this easy for them, is how I'm looking at it.

Old 06-06-2011, 04:41 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,527,800 times
Seems to me that would be considered trespassing.

Old 06-06-2011, 04:50 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,389,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
So this morning I wake up to the sound of a chainsaw. Now this is obnoxious in itself but then I go to look out the door to see the reason for this horrendous noise and what do I see ?

The next door neighbor (a total white trash looking neanderthal if I ever saw one) is CUTTING DOWN THE BEAUTIFUL lilac trees that border our property. Why, you ask ? Because HE wants to put a fence there.

Now I realize that a lot of people don't appreciate the beauty of trees. An awful lot of people don't give a flying f*** if they look out their windows and all they see is concrete, but I am not one of them. I also like my privacy and when the weather gets too hot, I liked to sit under those trees as they had a gorgeous canapy.

I don't know what to do. Right now I am SO pissed I can barely see straight. I went outside and asked him what he thought he was doing taking down the beautiful trees and he gets all offended that I could even ASK him. Like his fence is more important then some trees that gave our house a modicum of privacy and beauty. If you guys could see how ugly this side of town is you might appreciate even the smallest things that are pretty and free. LIKE TREES.

Turns out the trees are on HIS side of the property line so I have no say so whatsoever. It's like "Thanks for asking us how WE feel about it, and thanks for taking away OUR privacy and what little beauty we HAVE on this side of town".

I hate being poor. Poor means you're continually at the whim of what those who have more money would do to you in the name of THEIR convenience. I just love being reminded of my strata thanks so much.

I feel like breaking something. Namely the neanderthals head. He could have at LEAST acted sorry to be taking away something that gave someone a small amount of pleasure in this life.
Sorry for your loss. They are pretty trees and it would be a sad day to see them gone. Plant some more like what others have suggested.

That's all I've got. I don't have any good advice. Thanks for posting though. I'm glad it's not just me that gets into revolting situations.

Old 06-06-2011, 05:05 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Quote:
Yes, thank you Charley..I think I WILL. The message it will be send will be worth it almost as much as having a little beauty back on this side of town (you have no idea. It's all redneck, hispanic, welfare trash on this side of town. Sometimes I swear I'm the only person here who appreciates beauty).

Anyway, that was the only valuable thing Bydand said in his post. Although I'm sure trying to actually help wasn't his intention.
Which one of those categories are you?

Seems to be self centered and juvenile to expect a neighbor to get approval from you or anyone else to do what is legal on their property. Yes it would have been nice if they conferred with you, but most people don't, and there may have been a perfectly good reason not to. Maybe that fence will improve the neighbor relationship.

Old 06-06-2011, 05:50 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,050,421 times
Quote:
Sigghh...I'm so weary of life here. I just want to win the lottery, chuck the chefs career I recently graduated from college for (since the jobs around here seem to all be going to illegals anyway, but THATS another topic altogether and if I think of that I will get even more depressed then I already am) and move to the coast with about 10 acres of land between me and other people. But I don't have good enough luck for that to happen lol

As long as you think this way you will never get ahead. And I can guarantee that if you did hit the lotto you would be broke within a few years if not sooner.

I know a lot of chefs that make hundreds of thousands each year and who are very well off. It's not what you are, a chef, nut what you do with your life. You can have all the education in the world but if you never apply it you will still only be a chef years from now.

And don't blame the illegals for taking away your dreams. You took them away yourself without even knowing it because you think it takes luck to get ahead.

You need drive and you have to want it so bad that everything you do drives you to your goal of achieving it. You have to taste it and want it so bad that you can't live without it. Sitting around complaining about how you're not rich, pore little ole me, and not doing something to get what you want just tells me that you don't really have what it takes to get it.

busta

Old 06-06-2011, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustaduke View Post
As long as you think this way you will never get ahead. And I can guarantee that if you did hit the lotto you would be broke within a few years if not sooner.

I know a lot of chefs that make hundreds of thousands each year and who are very well off. It's not what you are, a chef, nut what you do with your life. You can have all the education in the world but if you never apply it you will still only be a chef years from now.

And don't blame the illegals for taking away your dreams. You took them away yourself without even knowing it because you think it takes luck to get ahead.

You need drive and you have to want it so bad that everything you do drives you to your goal of achieving it. You have to taste it and want it so bad that you can't live without it. Sitting around complaining about how you're not rich, pore little ole me, and not doing something to get what you want just tells me that you don't really have what it takes to get it.

busta
Uh....An illegal DID take away I beginning job I was supposed to have. I heard it right from the horses mouth. I've posted about THAT travesty elsewhere so I won't rehash that here. Just incase you don't know, cheap foreign labor has taken away driven down the wages of a lot of Americans, I'm not the only one. So there's that.

And no, I would NOT be broke because I don't need a lot of STUFF. I wouldn't buy a mansion or expensive cars etc. I would purchase a small modest home, albeit with acreage and live simply. WITH A LOT OF LILAC TREES SURROUNDING MY PROPERTY.

So you might want to quit with the assumptions that you know somebody after an anonymous vent on a message board. Because you know NOTHING about me or why I'm depressed (gotta love the posters that keep assuming they know me without asking WHY I feel this way..nice empathy. I'll repeat myself..I effing HATE people).

Old 06-06-2011, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Which one of those categories are you?

Seems to be self centered and juvenile to expect a neighbor to get approval from you or anyone else to do what is legal on their property. Yes it would have been nice if they conferred with you, but most people don't, and there may have been a perfectly good reason not to. Maybe that fence will improve the neighbor relationship.
Ever hear the expression "Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD" ?

And since when did it become "self-centered" and "juvenile" to insist on people considering other peoples feelings ? I guess I'm old enough to remember a time when that was the norm. Silly me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics