Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 02:54 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,346,164 times

Advertisements

Have you ever or would you ever pick up a hitchhiker? have you ever hitchhiked?

I have never picked one up and I would never HH. I might be paranoid but I keep thinking the person I pick up is going to end up being a serial killer or something.
If I was doing the HH I always think that the person picking me up is going to be serial killer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 03:03 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,232,135 times
Did both.

I used to give rides to people on the way to the beach all the time. It was always during the day.

The one time I did hitchhike myself wasn't pleasant the clutch went out on the car I just bought from my brother stranding me on the highway at 1 in the morning at the beginning of winter and I was too far from any exit to walk and this was pre cell phone. The guy who did give me a lift was creepy and i kept my hand on that door handle the whole way, ready to jump out, all the way to the first restaurant off the first exit we came to.

Old 09-08-2010, 03:05 PM

821 posts, read 863,122 times
Nah my grandpa was a cop and he used to tell me all kinds of horror stories so I've been too paranoid to do it.

Old 09-08-2010, 03:12 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,346,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Did both.

I used to give rides to people on the way to the beach all the time. It was always during the day.

The one time I did hitchhike myself wasn't pleasant the clutch went out on the car I just bought from my brother stranding me on the highway at 1 in the morning at the beginning of winter and I was too far from any exit to walk and this was pre cell phone. The guy who did give me a lift was creepy and i kept my hand on that door handle the whole way, ready to jump out, all the way to the first restaurant off the first exit we came to.

That sounds really scary.

Old 09-08-2010, 03:19 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,613,855 times
I've never picked anyone up, but I remember my mom doing it once. All of us kids had to squeeze into the back so the guy could sit in the front. His delivery truck broke down and he was standing right by it, so I guess my mom thought it was safe. Nowadays, if someone needed help you could call the police or a wrecker for them. No cell phones back then though.

I remember being scared because my parents always told us that you should never, ever pick up a hitchhiker.

I've gotten rides from people to the car from the gas station when I was young and stupid and was with someone who ran out of gas. I haven't hitchhiked on the side of the road, though.

Old 09-08-2010, 03:21 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,906,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
Have you ever or would you ever pick up a hitchhiker? have you ever hitchhiked?

I have never picked one up and I would never HH. I might be paranoid but I keep thinking the person I pick up is going to end up being a serial killer or something.
If I was doing the HH I always think that the person picking me up is going to be serial killer.
I am a serial killer... I killed a lot of boxes of serial, like Kellogs Special K, Corn Flakes, Post Fruit Loops, General Mills Weakies.. I mean Wheaties..

Seriously, I would never pick up any hitch-hikers, nor would I ever hitch-hike. I mentioned this before, but I'll mention it again. The only time I ever picked up a hitch-hiker was on a fairly hot July afternoon here in Phoenix, in 1989. I got off the freeway (Interstate 17) to go to a convenience store to get something cold, and at the time, the area was somewhat isolated. Right after I got off the freeway, on what was then called "The access road", I saw a young woman who was hitch-hiking, and being concerned for her safety on that hot afternoon, I stopped and offered to give her a ride. I can't remember the exact details, but I asked her where she was going, and I can't remember exactly what she said, but one thing that clearly stood out that she mentioned she was a prostitute... and offered her services... Well, I declined her "services", but being the nice guy that I am, I helped her out with a small amount of cash, and I took her to the convenience store and got her something cold, and I gave her advice against doing that kind of work, and hopefully she listened to my advice.

Last edited by Magnum Mike; 09-08-2010 at 03:34 PM..

Old 09-08-2010, 03:22 PM

10,182 posts, read 20,819,219 times
I can count on one hand the times I've picked up someone in need of a ride. Recently, a vet was leaving the VA hospital and asked if I could drop him off in town and I did. Otherwise, I've heard of too many horror stories to trust anyone on the road. I remember a time when criminals would bait well intentioned drivers by leaving their car on the side of the road with the hood raised and a baby stroller beside the car, giving the impression a family was stranded. Once the driver stops to assist he gets rolled. Women and children have been used as a prop to get motorists to drop their guard and help out. Call me paranoid, but I'd rather phone in help for them on my cell as I drive by than to take chances. If my instincts were screaming that this person is safe then I'll do it, but that doesn't happen often.

Old 09-08-2010, 03:26 PM

8,039 posts, read 4,521,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Did both.

That does sound scary and you were lucky.

Old 09-08-2010, 03:28 PM

No way would I pick up a hitchhiker. I don't mean to sound cruel to those that are truly stranded but I don't know you and you don't know me and we are just going to leave it that way.

Old 09-08-2010, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
I am a serial killer... I killed a lot of boxes of serial, like Kellogs Special K, Corn Flakes, Post Fruit Loops, General Mills Weakies.. I mean Wheaties..

Seriously, I would never pick up any hitch-hikers, nor would I ever hitch-hike. I mentioned this before, but I'll mention it again. The only time I ever picked up a hitch-hiker was on a fairly hot July afternoon here in Phoenix, in 1989. I got off the freeway (Interstate 17) to go to a convenience store to get something cold, and at the time, the area was somewhat isolated. Right after I got the freeway, on what was then called "The access road", I saw a young woman who was hitch-hiking, and being concerned for her safety on that hot afternoon, I stopped and offered to give her a ride. I can't remember the exact details, but I asked her where she was going, and I can't remember exactly what she said, but one thing that clearly stood out was she as a prostitute... and offered her services... Well, I declined her invitation, but I offered to help her out with a little bit of cash, and I took her to the convenience store and got her something cold, and I think I gave her advice against doing that kind of work, and hopefully she listened to my advice.
That was nice of you Mike but women can be serial killers to. Even guys gotta be careful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics