Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 03:39 PM

44,347 posts, read 20,047,057 times

Advertisements

When I was a teen, it was very common to hitchhike and to pick up hitchhikers. I did not do it myself.

That is, until . . . About 10 years ago, I was in my 40s and was on a church picnic at a large park. My friend's daughter had gone for a walk in the woods and had been gone quite a while. My friend and my sister and I went to look for the daughter. It was a terribly hot and humid day, and we walked and walked and . . . got LOST! So we walked and walked some more. We finally ended up out on a county road and started walking back toward the park. We were still more than a mile away. Eventually, a small red car with a young man driving and two young boys in the back seat pulled alongside us. The man said he had passed us going the other way, as he and his sons were on their way to the grocery store. They couldn't believe it when they were on their way back and saw us, still dragging ourselves along the road. So he offered us a ride and we gratefully accepted! We crammed ourselves into the car with the kids and the groceries and were so relieved when we finally got back to the picnic grounds. Oh, and of course, the "lost daughter" had returned shortly after we went to look for her.

We haven't lived it down to this day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 03:42 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,334,293 times
The reason I posted this was becasue I saw a fairly young women HH on the side of the highway and she didn't look like she was homeless, needed money etc. I would walk before HH.
Oh and always keep your car doors locked at all times. One day my mom was drving me and my cousing somewhere we were about 8 or younger. My mom stopped at a red light and some guy opened the door and got in. My mom freaked out but all the guy wanted was a ride. She didn't scream or tell him to get out for fear that if she did this guy would do somehting to us. Luckily he wasn't crazy and just needed a ride. He was a jerk for just opening someone's car door like that though.
So boys and girls please keep your doors locked.

Last edited by KylieEve; 09-08-2010 at 03:45 PM.. Reason: .

Old 09-08-2010, 03:57 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,994,999 times
No offense to anyone here, but nowdays, picking up a stranger is just plain stupid. Why people insist on taking risks like this, I do not know.

Old 09-08-2010, 03:59 PM

8,039 posts, read 4,512,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
The reason I posted this was becasue I saw a fairly young women HH on the side of the highway and she didn't look like she was homeless, needed money etc. I would walk before HH.
Oh and always keep your car doors locked at all times. One day my mom was drving me and my cousing somewhere we were about 8 or younger. My mom stopped at a red light and some guy opened the door and got in. My mom freaked out but all the guy wanted was a ride. She didn't scream or tell him to get out for fear that if she did this guy would do somehting to us. Luckily he wasn't crazy and just needed a ride. He was a jerk for just opening someone's car door like that though.
So boys and girls please keep your doors locked.
Believe me I do. I have also warned my friends to lock their car doors especially when traveling at night.

Old 09-08-2010, 04:33 PM

10,662 posts, read 9,316,817 times
The only time hubby and I took a passenger in our car was in Cuba - over there, everyone does that, solidarity is key! And people who ask for a ride are nice and very helpful (as they help you find your way!)
I would never do that here in the US, or in Europe.

Old 09-08-2010, 05:07 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,029,109 times
I have never hitchhiked nor would I ever pick up a hitchhiker. A good friend of mine is a police officer and I've heard too many horror stories. However, if I see someone on the side of the road that appears to be in distress I call 911.

Old 09-08-2010, 05:34 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
I hitchhiked from the Midwest to the west coast and everywhere in between. Met some pretty amazing people in the process.

But that was then and this is now. Now.... no.

Old 09-08-2010, 05:48 PM

12,114 posts, read 14,991,553 times
I did it one time in the 70's... my dad picked me up. I didn't see the outside for a month. No way would I do it now or pick up anyone I didn't know and that makes me sad. Sometimes someone just needs a little help but everyone is so afraid.

Old 09-08-2010, 06:45 PM

27,336 posts, read 27,387,014 times
I used to, back in 'the day', when my friend and I would hitch a ride all the way to Riverside from Sunnymead to spend our lunch money at the Riverside Plaza. We would make it back too, in time for school to let out so we wouldnt miss our bus home. These days unfortunately, its almost suicidal to do so.

Old 09-08-2010, 06:53 PM

8,039 posts, read 4,512,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper1 View Post
I did it one time in the 70's... my dad picked me up. I didn't see the outside for a month. No way would I do it now or pick up anyone I didn't know and that makes me sad. Sometimes someone just needs a little help but everyone is so afraid.
I know what you mean I do feel sorry for some folks but it is just to dangerous. I will call 911 for someone but will not even roll the window down all the way. It's a sad world we live in now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics