Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 06:57 AM

31 posts, read 302,536 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a good pest control company in the Orlando area?We'll be living in Clermont specifically. We're looking for a reliable company to do both indoor and outdoor pest control on a regular basis. We were considering Orkin but maybe there are some local companies that are better?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2007, 07:22 AM

1,418 posts, read 10,188,410 times
Orkin and Massey services is ok for treating pests, but I wouldn't buy into their "Bond Programs" - just use them to spray for bugs.

Here's what you need to know. They all use about the same chemicals to control pests and kill termites. Some, however, will sell you services you don't need. Most of the pest control companies that have been around awhile are good at killing bugs. All of them will try to up-sell you on various types of Termite Bonds. This is nothing more than an insurance policy.

There are two types of bonds and neither is very good, but for different reasons. A Treatment Bond only pays for subsequent retreatments of a terminte infested area if you discover termites within a certain amount of time - big deal, just pay for a reatreatment if necessary, or do it yourself; no reason to pay for this kind of bond year after year. A Treatment and Repair bond not only pays for the reatreatment, but also any "new damage" to the house from the time of the last treatment. This is very missleading. How do you know what is "old damage" and "new damage", since the termite company didn't document this at the time of treatment? Also, these guys are trained to suddenly see sprinkler heads, downspouts, and many other areas of "water intrusion" that completely voids the waranty, only when you call them back out with a real problem. Basically, if you have a real bad termite problem and a termite Treatment and Repair bond, you can expect to be in a lawuit with the pest control company sometime in the future. Also, as these bonds used to be pretty good years ago, the termite companies have gotten smart and added a bunch of exclusions and exceptions to cover their asses.

The bottom line. Do your own interior pest control 2-4 times a year for regular pests using a product that you can get from Home Depot. Call a pest control company to address serious pest control problems - that is what they are really good at. Don't purchase treatment bonds! And I'd probably steer clear of treatment and repair bonds as well.

Old 06-13-2007, 07:55 AM

1,683 posts, read 8,209,634 times
[quote=Prichard;877814]Orkin and Massey services is ok for treating pests, but I wouldn't buy into their "Bond Programs" - just use them to spray for bugs.

Wow! Prichard thank you for posting this wonderful info....I have given Massey 200.00 per year the last 2 years I've been in my new home for a termite bond because I was told it was very important if you lived in Florida. I lived in my Winter Park home almost 20 years and we NEVER had a problem with termites - but I knew it would cost a fortune if we had to tent our new home and we are near woods, etc. So I shelled out the bucks. Do you have any more specific information on these 'bonds'.

Do you self treat for pest control (regular bugs - not termites)? We have not needed pest control til this point, but in the last week or two we are seeing a couple of bugs in the house. I hate bringing poison into my home. This home is much tighter built - scents linger forever and I have a little dog - I'm concerned about that. What product do you use?

Thanks for the info....

Old 06-13-2007, 08:59 AM

6 posts, read 47,351 times
I worked in the Pest Control industry as a salesman and as a tech in Central Fl.for many years and several different companies.Prichard is right on about the Termite warranty(sometimes mistakenly called a bond which implies that money is set aside for a specific purpose- which there is not!)The truth is in Florida there are termites in the ground(Subterranian type) around your home-just as there are worms and other creatures.The problem is usually wood to earth contact that allows a food source for the termite.Also if you have stucco siding below ground level that is a huge attractant for termites.Additionally,any area that contains excessive moisture will attract termites.To prevent damage,make sure you cut any wooden fence touching your home,cut stucco 6 in. above grade,make sure you limit areas of excessive water accumulation.If you are using wood for any new projects make sure you use pressure treated lumber as most termites cannot penetrate.
For regular household pests(roaches,ants,fleas) Orlando has several do-it-yourself stores that should be listed in the directory.Most pesticides used by todays pros are now available to the public.It wasnt that way prior to the late 80's-early 90's. Roaches are a big issue in warm climates,but if you eliminate food or water sources and maintain sanitary standards you can greatly cut down on their presence.Hope this was helpful-good luck!

Old 06-13-2007, 12:13 PM

Yes, I self-treat for household bugs, roaches, etc. I spray the entire house about every third month or so. I hardly ever see any roaches or bugs, occasionally I'll see one and I'll just go ahead and spray the entire house. Costs me about $3 per treatment.

I do mix up some termite treatment and spray around the outside of my house about once a year. However, what Dave said is correct - if you have a moisture problem, you need to fix that problem and it will be more likely that you will have a termite problem at some time.

Also, BEWARE of wood frame houses built in Florida from about 1986 to about 1998 or so. This was a period of time after Chlordane, a chemical ground treatment for termites, was banned. Prior to 1886, the contractor would pre-treat the ground with Chlordane which was highly effective for stopping termite infestation. I believe it had a half-life of about 15 years, so even after 30 years it still had some effectiveness. It took the construction industry years before they figured out good ways to fight termites. Wood frame houses built during this time period tend to have chronic termite problems. Even block homes built around this time can have chronic problems, just not as severe. Around 2000 contractors had a mesh material available that stops termites from coming up through the ground and into your home. I think there are also some other chemical treatments used in conjunction with new construction that are now quite effective.

Old 06-13-2007, 08:11 PM

555 posts, read 2,211,433 times
I pay the money every year to have Massey monitor my house using the Sentricon system. Termites can do a lot of damage in a short amount of time. I have heard it said that it is not if termites get into your home, but when. Scary. I don't know if I am wasting my money or not. I do know Massey is good about paying for damages. Many homes in our neighborhood of concrete block have already been damaged by termites. The homes are all less than 15 years old, some were 3 years old when they were damaged.

Old 06-13-2007, 08:56 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,211,940 times
hometeam pest control is pretty good i believe

Old 06-13-2007, 09:26 PM

[quote=SouthernBelle3;882357]I pay the money every year to have Massey monitor my house using the Sentricon system. Termites can do a lot of damage in a short amount of time. I have heard it said that it is not if termites get into your home, but when.

Yeah, that is word for word what the Massey guy told me as he was taking my $200.00 ANNUAL check - LOL

Old 06-13-2007, 09:28 PM

Thanks for all the helpful recommendations. I think I'll look into doing it myself.

Old 06-14-2007, 09:35 AM

First of all, it takes a long time for termites to do any real damage. The problem is that you may not know they are doing damage until years later after the damage is significant. It's an urban myth that termites quickly get into your home and devoure all of the wood in record time. It just dosen't work that way. Nonetheless, termites are real and their damage can be quite significant. You do need to have your house inspected ever couple of years for termites and treat when necessary. I am just not a big fan of the bonds - I have seen where some of the major termite companies try to hang their hat on "water intrusion" and "old damage" to avoid making costly repairs under their bond.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando