Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2015, 08:32 AM

6 posts, read 5,551 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! My husband and I just moved from Chicago to Orlando in the Andover Lakes area. We are renting a 4 bedroom 2.5 bathroom house. It's lovely. My question is about pest control. The house is very clean and we don't seem to have any problems yet. The owner is putting up a fence soon. The property backs up into a natural area. Palms and other things have already been chopped down but all the dead debris is left back there. Seems like it would be an awesome home for all sorts of critters.
Anyway, do you do regular pest control or only when it's needed. What are some reputable companies and how much does it usually cost?
Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2015, 09:39 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,165,604 times
Massey Services. Have them treat now and let them figure best treatment plan in future. These guys take wall plates off switches and outlets to treat in the walls. Very through and professional.

Old 01-03-2015, 09:44 AM

698 posts, read 961,684 times
Maybe check with your neighbors to see what their experience is in your area.

Old 01-03-2015, 10:37 AM

536 posts, read 854,252 times
As a home owner, I use Massey for monthly service on my principal residence, & I pay them 1 year at a time, in full, to get an extra 5% discount on their very thorough & competitive services. I like them.

But if you're a renter, Florida code says it's the obligation of the landlord to provide housing that is free of pests. That doesn't mean the landlord has to hire the service of your choice, but it does mean the landlord has an obligation to address any bug or insect infestation that might impact your living conditions. It's the landlord's obligation, not yours, the tenant.

If you feel your landlord is giving you a good deal, & you like your house & situation, & you want to be reasonable, you might consider requesting the landlord to cover the cost of some type of pest spray that you can buy at Lowes or Home Depot, & you could spray around the exterior of the house yourself, once a month or so.

No matter how clean you keep your house, you're going to need some type of pest control sooner than later, in our sub tropical climate.

Old 01-03-2015, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokerHarry View Post
But if you're a renter, Florida code says it's the obligation of the landlord to provide housing that is free of pests. That doesn't mean the landlord has to hire the service of your choice, but it does mean the landlord has an obligation to address any bug or insect infestation that might impact your living conditions. It's the landlord's obligation, not yours, the tenant.
hhhmmmmm the apartment complex I live in charges me for pest control, whether they spray my apartment or not. Pretty typical charge of any of the complexes I looked at. So is this FL code saying the landlord pays to deal with the bug issue?

Old 01-03-2015, 04:23 PM

536 posts, read 854,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTGal View Post
hhhmmmmm the apartment complex I live in charges me for pest control, whether they spray my apartment or not. Pretty typical charge of any of the complexes I looked at. So is this FL code saying the landlord pays to deal with the bug issue?
(2)(a) Unless otherwise agreed in writing, in addition to the requirements of subsection (1), the landlord of a dwelling unit other than a single-family home or duplex shall, at all times during the tenancy, make reasonable provisions for:
1. The extermination of rats, mice, roaches, ants, wood-destroying organisms, and bedbugs.

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

It depends on the exact wording that was inserted into the lease.

Last edited by BrokerHarry; 01-03-2015 at 04:44 PM..

Old 01-03-2015, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokerHarry View Post
1. The extermination of rats, mice, roaches, ants, wood-destroying organisms, and bedbugs.
It depends on the exact wording that was inserted into the lease.
Thanks for the info.

I'm certainly not agreeable to paying a monthly fee especially since I never request for the exterminator to come but I'm stuck paying it if I want to live here, it's in the lease. The one good thing is there is nothing in the lease about charging the tenant extra beyond the monthly fee.

Old 01-04-2015, 06:50 AM

27,231 posts, read 44,055,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRoyal10 View Post
Hello everyone! My husband and I just moved from Chicago to Orlando in the Andover Lakes area. We are renting a 4 bedroom 2.5 bathroom house. It's lovely. My question is about pest control. The house is very clean and we don't seem to have any problems yet. The owner is putting up a fence soon. The property backs up into a natural area. Palms and other things have already been chopped down but all the dead debris is left back there. Seems like it would be an awesome home for all sorts of critters.
Anyway, do you do regular pest control or only when it's needed. What are some reputable companies and how much does it usually cost?
Thanks so much!
It largely depends upon what is surrounding the house in my opinion. My house also backs up to a wetland/conservation area with all kinds of critters and having replaced the standard wood mulch with river rock in the planting beds surrounding my house has eliminated any roach/spider activity for the past couple of years. Keeping a clean house contributes greatly as well. Also not having overgrown shrubs or trees up against your house helps prevent too. I still maintain full hedges/plantings but they're kept trimmed a good two feet away from the house. I also have Terminix come out four times a year and spray the perimeter only for $75 a visit, which has probably helped contribute to zero bug sightings.

Old 04-08-2015, 05:21 AM

61 posts, read 137,512 times
I agree with VTGal, it is best to contact with your neighbours they best know about pest control services.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando