Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2015, 10:01 AM

17,155 posts, read 15,373,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Exactly.
Orlando is for fun and theme parks. Otherwise it's rather ugly. No beach, car dealerships EVERYWHERE, omg. and just kind of blaaah. Tho, I do like Winter Park. but it's just

Atlanta is much more of a major city than Orlando. As is Seattle, Boston, Phoenix, Minneapolis, etc...
Orlando is what it is.....a tourist magnet. And for the residents that live there, they dont even go to the theme parks, except if their family from Ohio is in town visiting.

I've been to Orlando a million times and it just screams chain restaurants, Disney, car dealerships, swamps and somewhat redneck. Nothing wrong with that, but let's call orlando what it is...and quit beating around the bush here.
Downtown Orlando is ugly??? Serious??? Windermere, Dr. Philips, Lake Eola Heights, Markham Woods, Mount Dora, Downtown Sanford and its waterfront... You think those are ugly? The chain restaurants and tourists... You must be specifically referring to I-Drive, because downtown has very few chains and little to no tourists.

I'll say that there are too many strip malls in the suburbs, but then that's pretty much any city in the South, especially in FL -- not just Orlando.

Yes, Atlanta is much more of a major city... But not everyone likes to live in heavy congestion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 10:02 AM

2,426 posts, read 2,476,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Most of what you say is true... But I assure you the bold portion is extremely false and only applies to a very small part of town on the outskirts of the metro... where none of the 2+ million residents really live, nor even frequent much at all.

And Nashville? Come on, now. Orlando is listed as a Gamma - world city, whereas Nashville is listed as a Sufficiency... MAJOR difference.
I already know what your getting at with the Nashville thing, i kinda saw it coming. I have to honestly say Nasvhlle is more of a City and Feels more like a City Hands down Compaired to Orlando, no Amusement Parks needed. Even the Downtown Area is larger and has a more Urban Feel. The City in itself is around 2 1/2 times larger but Orlando's Metro has the edge, but not by much.... I guarantee you Orlando wouldnt be what it is Today without Disney and the Amusements, it kinda built its name and rep off of Disney. Nashville doesnt need that Asset..

Old 07-06-2015, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Downtown Orlando is ugly??? Serious??? Windermere, Dr. Philips, Lake Eola Heights, Markham Woods, Mount Dora, Downtown Sanford and its waterfront... You think those are ugly? The chain restaurants and tourists... You must be specifically referring to I-Drive, because downtown has very few chains and little to no tourists.

I'll say that there are too many strip malls in the suburbs, but then that's pretty much any city in the South, especially in FL -- not just Orlando.

Atlanta is much more of a major city... But not everyone likes to live in heavy congestion.
You are so right when it comes to Atlanta on this note, we already know this is no compairson, thats why i put Nashville in the Mix. More Compairable Size Metro Wise and more of an example of a City. But Atlanta, no Compairason for Sunbelt Cities. Atlanta can play in the big leagues of Major Cities like New York, Chicago, Philly, etc with its much smaller city population because of its Airport, Heavy Rail Subway, Huge Downtown and Midtown. Not to mention it huge Metro Area of over 5,000,000 and Suburban edge Cities with more office space than Orlando Can compair. It just is what it is.

Old 07-06-2015, 11:18 AM

1,169 posts, read 1,431,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Exactly.
Orlando is for fun and theme parks. Otherwise it's rather ugly. No beach, car dealerships EVERYWHERE, omg. and just kind of blaaah. Tho, I do like Winter Park. but it's just

Atlanta is much more of a major city than Orlando. As is Seattle, Boston, Phoenix, Minneapolis, etc...
Orlando is what it is.....a tourist magnet. And for the residents that live there, they dont even go to the theme parks, except if their family from Ohio is in town visiting.

I've been to Orlando a million times and it just screams chain restaurants, Disney, car dealerships, swamps and somewhat redneck. Nothing wrong with that, but let's call orlando what it is...and quit beating around the bush here.
UGLY?? Orlando is a BEAUTIFUL city, ignorant statements like this amaze me. Have you been to Thronton Park, Lake Eola, Park Avenue in Winter Park, Leu Gardens, Lake Lucerne, Wekiwa Springs State Park, ??????????

Orlando Metro is named one of the 100 best places to live and I assure it is not because of theme parks and tourist attractions.
Orlando named one of 100 Best Places to Live - Orlando Business Journal

Old 07-06-2015, 11:27 AM

17,155 posts, read 15,373,458 times
Welcome to Orlando... Because ugly, theme parks, and tourists... LOL

Old 07-06-2015, 11:38 AM

1,169 posts, read 1,431,627 times
Quote:
Welcome to Orlando... Because ugly, theme parks, and tourists... LOL

THANK YOU for posting this Arcenal.. Maybe some of the trolls on this thread could learn a thing or two about the CITY of Orlando..

Old 07-06-2015, 11:42 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,916,759 times
Quote:

Yes, Atlanta is much more of a major city... But not everyone likes to live in heavy congestion.
I agree, downtown Orlando is NOT ugly. It's pretty nice actually. Sure there are some nasty areas on the outskirts of downtown, but most major (or 2nd tier major cities) have very iffy areas outside of downtown.

Old 07-06-2015, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts View Post
I agree, downtown Orlando is NOT ugly. It's pretty nice actually. Sure there are some nasty areas on the outskirts of downtown, but most major (or 2nd tier major cities) have very iffy areas outside of downtown.
Now i totally agree with you on that one. Orlando is not a ugly City, it's actually quite Beautiful, it's just not what i call a Major city, thats all. Calling it ugly is going a little too far.

Old 07-06-2015, 12:38 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
Now i totally agree with you on that one. Orlando is not a ugly City, it's actually quite Beautiful, it's just not what i call a Major city, thats all. Calling it ugly is going a little too far.
I agree. Detroit is ugly. Baltimore is ugly. Knoxville is ugly. Portland is pretty ugly, too.

But I think Orlando has a pretty attractive skyline for a fairly young city.

Old 07-06-2015, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I agree. Detroit is ugly. Baltimore is ugly. Knoxville is ugly. Portland is pretty ugly, too.

But I think Orlando has a pretty attractive skyline for a fairly young city.

To add to that, i even think Nashville is Kinda Ugly in spots and it not the prettiest, except the Downtown Skyline and thats mainly lit up at night but other than that it is kinda Gritty. I just feel its more of a Major City than Orlando, Hands Down. Orlando just doesnt live up to that status to me.. I don't think i could ever see it as any more than Disney and Amusements, but thats just me and my opinion guys. The Downtown area even makes me think of Disney and Tourism when i see it or drive through, not Major City. It just looks like Orlando
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando