Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 04:06 PM

34 posts, read 77,218 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are from NJ and just signed a contract for a house in Lake Mary in Woodbridge Lakes. I was surprised to see that my daughter will attend Seminole High School. I know Lake Mary High School is closer, so I assumed she would go there. I have heard mixed reviews about Seminole High and fantastic things about Lake Mary High. I read about the Baccalaurate program which I believe my daughter would be accepted into since she is excelling in pre AP classes now at her high school in NJ. My question is how concerned do I need to be about fights and the quality of education at Seminole High School? Should I consider private school? We are not moving for another 18 months, so she will be a junior at that time.

Last edited by ybother; 11-11-2009 at 04:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 04:21 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,738,699 times
Try to get a transfer to Lake Mary high if you want. Seminole high isn't a bad school, the IB program is a great program but i think you have to start freshman year with it. I don't think your allowed to just join the program as a junior. i don't know for sure though.

Old 11-11-2009, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
Try to get a transfer to Lake Mary high if you want. Seminole high isn't a bad school, the IB program is a great program but i think you have to start freshman year with it. I don't think your allowed to just join the program as a junior. i don't know for sure though.
Is that an option? Can I get a transfer to Lake Mary high?

Old 11-11-2009, 04:50 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,738,699 times
Its possible, I've heard of people getting transfers, I have no clue what the process of getting a transfer is though, its something you will have to look into. If you aren't successful in getting a transfer, its not a big deal. Seminole high schools is still a great school.

Old 11-11-2009, 05:10 PM

12,638 posts, read 32,240,463 times
I think in order to get a transfer, either you have to be a minority or be of low income. Seminole High School is not bad but I'd definately prefer Lake Mary.

Old 11-11-2009, 07:04 PM

13 posts, read 30,837 times
Don't let your kids go to Seminole High School!

Old 11-12-2009, 03:56 AM

Uh oh.

Old 11-12-2009, 06:22 AM

12,638 posts, read 32,240,463 times
You do have other options. There are charter schools. Do a search for them on the internet. You can homeschool too. My friend is a teacher at Seminole High. She says it's not that bad but they are rediculously strict with the rules. You have several disadvantaged kids mixed with middle and upper class.
I'd start doing some research to see if it is possible to do a transfer. You also have Seminole State College Adult High School. It is a high school at the colleg campus that is designed like college. You can also do dual enrollment. My daughter went there for dual enrollment and I was very pleased with it. Both of my kids have attended Lake Mary High and I have really not had any problems. Although, it's very nice in Woodbridge, is it to late to get out of the lease? Don't panic, you'll figure something out.

Old 11-12-2009, 10:13 AM

We bought the house. That would not deter me from buying the house as I love it. I would consider private school or even renting a place for my inlaws or parents in Lake Mary High district and using that as my daughters address. I will also try the transfer. Do you think I should contact the school or Seminole County school District? Thanks Beckycat for all your help, I really appreciate it.

Old 11-12-2009, 11:46 AM

56 posts, read 169,462 times
I graduated from Seminole High in 1976 and my father graduated from Seminole High in 1934, but I would never let my kids go there. Why would you buy a home without knowing it's school zoning? Did you have a real estate agent?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando