Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 03:20 PM

45 posts, read 176,163 times

Advertisements

In CA but needing to educate myself on communities outside of the Orlando area, there is a possible job opp for hubby.

So far I like what I see online with regard to homes in Clermont, our price point is 350K - 375K, I like having more yard but still want a neighborhood feel.

Must have great schools for my boys, how are the schools ?

How is the commute to Orlando too?

Is there a general rule of thumb in Fl as to which commute to Orlando is better, (i.e. North vs South...)

Thanks in advance : P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2009, 04:48 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,120,104 times
I'm in Clermont. You can buy a nice house in a nice neighborhood with plenty of room for the kids to play in that price range. Stay on the north side of Clermont (North of lake Louisa) or you'll be in a neighborhood zoned for short-term rentals. The north side doesn't allow that, and I know within the city limits they are aggressively going after those who are breaking that code.

You should look at Legends, it's a great neighborhood with a ton of amenities, and you can buy a nice 4/3 (probably with a pool) in that price range. There's a gorgeous 3 BR/3bath with a bonus room/half bath and pool I know of that's in pre-foreclosure that would go short sale in that price range, it's actually probably "worth" $550K or so. PM me if you want details.

Old 10-18-2009, 07:45 PM

Hmmm, I will check into that, thanks annerk!

How is Leesburg, compared to Clermont? If you don't mind : P

Old 10-19-2009, 08:06 AM

793 posts, read 2,527,698 times
When you say a yard, how big, remember it gets hot in the summer. Most want big enough for a pool and area for kids to play any bigger and the cost of maintenance and watering becomes an issue especially as water cost are set to rise or the years to come.

Leesburg is a fair drive to Orlando, have you factored the future cost of gas, this is a concern for driving to work or most all events. You have discussed in other post that you didn't know where the office would be located but what field is it, does it need to be accessible to customers?

Hope this helps.

If you are willing to drive to Clarmont I would again look at the Horizon West area of Orange County.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camom2 View Post
Hmmm, I will check into that, thanks annerk!

How is Leesburg, compared to Clermont? If you don't mind : P
Leesburg is more rural, a little more Florida cracker. I'd rent there, but dont' think I'd put down any permanent roots there.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broker Dave View Post
When you say a yard, how big, remember it gets hot in the summer. Most want big enough for a pool and area for kids to play any bigger and the cost of maintenance and watering becomes an issue especially as water cost are set to rise or the years to come.

Leesburg is a fair drive to Orlando, have you factored the future cost of gas, this is a concern for driving to work or most all events. You have discussed in other post that you didn't know where the office would be located but what field is it, does it need to be accessible to customers?

Hope this helps.

If you are willing to drive to Clarmont I would again look at the Horizon West area of Orange County.
I've got just shy of half an acre, and it's more than enough. I have two stretches plenty large enough for a game of touch football, tag, steal the bacon, etc. I wouldn't want any larger of a yard, because it is a lot of expense to keep it cut, watered, fertilized, etc.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:29 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,354,919 times
The only negative I could see about Clermont is the commute. If traffic gets tangled up it could take a while, however there are many routes you can use. Other than that I've only heard good things about Clermont.

Old 10-19-2009, 12:32 PM

okay, thanks to all of you for your awesome input, i will check all options out. still dont know where the office will be yet....it will be close to airport from what i hear.

Old 10-19-2009, 01:24 PM

111 posts, read 342,497 times
In that price range, you can get a very nice house. You can actually find pretty affordable homes lower than that. I just helped a buyer close on a 4/3 2900 Sq Ft. with a pool and fenced in yard in LakeView Point (Clermont). It was a bank owned home and really only needed appliances and the pool cleaned. The total price on that was $162,500.

I would look at price ranges starting at $150,000 and work my way up. There are plenty of nice homes starting at that price range.

As for the schools, what grades will your children be in?

Old 10-19-2009, 01:27 PM

My boys will be in 5th and 7th grade -- but they are coming from a private christian school setting, so we are looking for someplace that would possibly even offer that...if the public school option is not to par. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando