Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2009, 08:51 AM

1,000 posts, read 3,352,275 times

Advertisements

Maybe this should go more on the work and employment forum, but I figured since we're looking to get down to the Orlando area, I'd start here. Not looking to start stalking anyone on here for jobs but has anyone here ever gotten employment through contacts made on City Data or other unconventional means?

As an example, I had been out of work for about a year from about 8/07 to 9/07 and finally got a part-time legal secretary job (it was the job my mom, who is also a legal secretary left) and I eventually convinced them to go to full-time with me. I was unhappy though because the other assistant in the office thought she was the office manager and basically had a severe personality disorder but I stuck it out because I knew what it was like to be out of a job and desparately needing one. After about 7 months there the job I currently have (more pay, better hours and just overall a nice place/people to work with) kind of fell into my lap.

A girl whose house we had looked at to rent (but she ended up going with someone else) remembered I told her I was a legal assistant so she contacted me about it and then gave management my resume and I was offered a paralegal position with our State Bar.

So I would have to say for me, that was a pretty unconventional route. (Not to mention that about two weeks after I started, two more places called me that I had submitted resumes to the year before to see if I was still looking for work as they had openings they were interested in me for.

It's just funny that after looking so hard and long for a year and coming up with nothing when not having a job that three different opportunities came up once I did have a job, I wonder if that was coincidence or if the recruiter who once told me that it is easier to get hired when you already had a job was right?

Well, sorry for the incoherent babbling, I think I need to go get some more caffeine. At any rate, if anyone has any suggestions outside of the box for finding employment down there, please feel free to speak up.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: