Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2009, 01:52 PM

995 posts, read 1,694,766 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at a house that is right near the intersection of Fairview and Beach street (near the Main street bridge). It seems fairly inexpensive and I was wondering if this area is unsafe. It seems like it would be a fairly desirable place to live (walk to the river, long walk to the beach, right near main, near riverfront park, manatee park, etc.).

Thanks for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 02:43 PM

482 posts, read 2,417,896 times
If I were you I would call the Daytona Beach Police Department and ask if they can give you any crime reports/stats on that area. I lived in Daytona for many years and that area was a bit questionable. But they have sure worked to clean it up but I would go to the area, knock on the doors of some neighbors, ask around and if the neighbors are primarily renters and things don't feel right I would not buy it, you never know who will be renting next door if that is primarily a rental area.

Old 07-04-2009, 12:25 AM

501 posts, read 1,881,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idr591 View Post
I'm looking at a house that is right near the intersection of Fairview and Beach street (near the Main street bridge). It seems fairly inexpensive and I was wondering if this area is unsafe. It seems like it would be a fairly desirable place to live (walk to the river, long walk to the beach, right near main, near riverfront park, manatee park, etc.).

Thanks for any info.
I know the area/neighborhood well and have some friends who just moved there last year.

Basically, it's the story of how everyone abandoned the downtown neighborhoods for the new suburbs 20 years ago. There are some amazing historic houses there which have been neglected over the years, but can now be purchased for a song. People are starting to come in an fix them up again. There are some great trees in that neighborhood.

This neighborhood (now called Uptown) seems to be on the rebound and has turned things around a lot in the past couple of years. I know they have a Neigbhorhood Assoc. that is very active.

There used to be a lot of crime there 5 years ago. Today, it's now limited to petty theft, drug dealing, prostitution and vagrancy.

I know you can definately qualify for a Bond Loan rate there if you're financing.

The positives are how close you are (walking/biking distance) to the Beach, Main Street, Downtown and the Riverfront Park. You can watch Space Shuttle launches and fireworks from your yard, and walk to special events downtown and Main St. and Caribbean Jack's Restaurant.

Chances are the house you are considering has great architecture and features such as hardwood floors, fireplaces, crown molding, etc. you can't easily find today in Florida (as this was once a historically significant neighborhood in the city).

Downside would be the area is not considered a good address yet by locals (but will probably later), there is a Salvation Army facility a few blocks over that has foot traffic through the neighborhood and over the Main St bridge (and adjacent parking lot and Riverfront Park), there has been some flooding issues which will take a few years for projects to be completed and traffic/bridge noise.

I also don't think Daytona (in general) has good school selection and would consider if children were involved to send them to St. Pauls or Lourdes catholic schools, which are very nearby. You'd also want a fenced in area for kids to play that is safe, and walk them to bus stops.

Also remember that Main St hosts Bike Week events which backs up over the bridge into the neighborhood and could be a plus or minus, depending on your viewpoint.

And as a downtown pioneer, you'd need to stay constantly involved with the neighborhood as things are starting to change rapidly (for the better) and to connect with other investors moving in like yourself.

Good Luck!

Old 07-04-2009, 04:50 PM

995 posts, read 1,694,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonadewd View Post
I know the area/neighborhood well and have some friends who just moved there last year.

Basically, it's the story of how everyone abandoned the downtown neighborhoods for the new suburbs 20 years ago. There are some amazing historic houses there which have been neglected over the years, but can now be purchased for a song. People are starting to come in an fix them up again. There are some great trees in that neighborhood.

This neighborhood (now called Uptown) seems to be on the rebound and has turned things around a lot in the past couple of years. I know they have a Neigbhorhood Assoc. that is very active.

There used to be a lot of crime there 5 years ago. Today, it's now limited to petty theft, drug dealing, prostitution and vagrancy.

I know you can definately qualify for a Bond Loan rate there if you're financing.

The positives are how close you are (walking/biking distance) to the Beach, Main Street, Downtown and the Riverfront Park. You can watch Space Shuttle launches and fireworks from your yard, and walk to special events downtown and Main St. and Caribbean Jack's Restaurant.

Chances are the house you are considering has great architecture and features such as hardwood floors, fireplaces, crown molding, etc. you can't easily find today in Florida (as this was once a historically significant neighborhood in the city).

Downside would be the area is not considered a good address yet by locals (but will probably later), there is a Salvation Army facility a few blocks over that has foot traffic through the neighborhood and over the Main St bridge (and adjacent parking lot and Riverfront Park), there has been some flooding issues which will take a few years for projects to be completed and traffic/bridge noise.

I also don't think Daytona (in general) has good school selection and would consider if children were involved to send them to St. Pauls or Lourdes catholic schools, which are very nearby. You'd also want a fenced in area for kids to play that is safe, and walk them to bus stops.

Also remember that Main St hosts Bike Week events which backs up over the bridge into the neighborhood and could be a plus or minus, depending on your viewpoint.

And as a downtown pioneer, you'd need to stay constantly involved with the neighborhood as things are starting to change rapidly (for the better) and to connect with other investors moving in like yourself.

Good Luck!
Thank you so much for the detailed information. I sent you a pm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando