Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 07:48 PM

18 posts, read 90,118 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My wife and I are visiting the Orlando area soon to see if we would like to move to a 55 plus community.

I would appreciate recommendations for 55 plus communities we should visit while here.

We would like to be no more than an hour from Disney, would like a gated community, a concrete house and a safe area.

Since we are moving from NY I would think we would not want to be in an area that is too isolated. We like to get in the car and go exploring (depending on the price of gas) so would like the area surrounding the 55 plus community to be safe to drive through.

From reading some of the postings I listed the following areas as places to consider but need to find 55 plus communities within these areas and so far have not had a lot of success with the exception of Leesburg (The Plantation);

Leesburg
Lake Mary
Longwood
Winter Park
Windermere
Dr Phillips
Clermont
Lake Nona
Hunters Creek

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 05:22 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,025,051 times
There are two in Clermont with a third on the way. Kings Ridge is an award winning community and people love it. There is are two plazas adjacent to the community with a Publix, hair salons, nail salon, dentist, chiropractor, a handful of restaurants (fast food and full service), insurance agent, liquor store, two golf places, dry cleaner, and Blockbuster. Go across the street and you'll find CVS, Walgreens, doctors, antoher dentist who is well regarded, Barnies Coffee, another restaurant, a furniture store, a gas station, another hair and nail place. In other words it's very convvenient to everything. It's off of Route 27 with entrances on Route 27, Hartwood Marsh Road, and Hancock Road.

Summit Greens is also in Clermont, I don't know much about that one, although it's in an area that's also close to amenities. It's off of Route 50 just est of Hancock Road.

Heritage Hills is a brand new community in Clermont being built by Lennar. I'm sure there is info on the Lennar web site. It's off of Hancock Road.

All of those are within an hour of Disney, Kings Ridge is closet at about a half hour drive. All are in safe areas, Kings Ridge is probably the most secure due to 24 hour guarded access and a very active neighborhood watch group. I have never heard of any crime occuring in Kings Ridge. I'm not fond of the neighborhood that Summit Greens backs up to. It's not an unsafe neighborhood, but it's definitely "working class."

Old 12-05-2008, 07:52 AM

482 posts, read 2,417,806 times
I am familar with the Lake Nona and Hunters Creek areas and can say there is nothing in those areas that are 55+ developments. There is a Good Sam Village in Kissimmee but I don't think it is what you are looking for.

Old 12-05-2008, 01:59 PM

1,594 posts, read 5,281,316 times
Also, Solivita in Kissimmee/Poinciana but I think it is a little to isolated but it a very lovely community.

Old 12-05-2008, 02:12 PM

Thanks to everyone for the fast response. Clermont sounds good I'll check out the website of the places mentioned.

Old 12-05-2008, 03:27 PM

126 posts, read 570,862 times
Hi, would you be interested in something like this?............

https://www.city-data.com/forum/class...g-florida.html

Old 12-05-2008, 03:49 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,205,511 times
Harbor Hills in Lady Lake is a gorgeous community. Not strictly 55 plus, but the vast majority fit that description. It is gated and there is a separate, public golf course. Membership is not mandatory and is very reasonable and great food! (I'm not a golfer) Not only are the homes beautiful and the property well-maintained, but the folks that I have met are active, upbeat and positive.

Harbor Hills

Old 12-05-2008, 09:18 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,165,026 times
Here's an informative website you might want to check out:
Senior Outlook - Housing Options for Senior Living (http://tinyurl.com/6eocm9 - broken link)

You might really want to check out the area before deciding to live really close to WDW due to all the road congestion in the area. I thought living close to Disney was a great idea before I moved here and now I'm so glad I decided not to. You can live anywhere and access Disney with a short drive....but if you live right there....it's hard to get away from all the hoopla.

Old 12-09-2008, 02:53 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,531,128 times
Hello,
WE own a home in The Plantation in Leesburg and are thrilled with it.
We currently still live in NY, because I cannot retire for another two years or so.
I agree with the other posters here that I'd rather live a bit away from WDW, but still be able to get to Orlando within an hour. From my Plantation home driveway to the Orlando airport, (which is SOUTH of Orlando) it is 39 miles, and I can get there in about 30 minutes or so.

There are MANY awesome 55+ communities in the Leesburg/Clarmont/Mt Dora area. Royal Harbor, Royal Highlands, Arlington Ridge, Legacy, Lakes of Mt Dora, etc,etc,etc.

I'll PM you with a bit more info. Good luck! It's the best thing we've ever done!!

Frank D.

Old 12-10-2008, 03:54 PM

We are going to visit the Leesburg area so we'll stop at The Plantation and look around.

Thanks for all the info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando