Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 07:08 PM

25 posts, read 54,424 times

Advertisements

I am considering a position in downtown Orlando but really like the Lake Mary area. Is it horrendous traffic commuting from Lake Mary to downtown? I have searched the forum and it appears that may be 'parking lot' like. If it is bad, then what area would be good to live in if working in Downtown with a reasonable commute and safe, affordable housing? Thanks for your suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 07:32 PM

995 posts, read 1,696,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet08 View Post
I am considering a position in downtown Orlando but really like the Lake Mary area. Is it horrendous traffic commuting from Lake Mary to downtown? I have searched the forum and it appears that may be 'parking lot' like. If it is bad, then what area would be good to live in if working in Downtown with a reasonable commute and safe, affordable housing? Thanks for your suggestions!
Yes, it would be horrible. I commute 50 miles to Daytona Beach (against traffic), and I feel sorry for the people going the other way every single day.

We would need to know more about you to make a recommendation, but I would look at the downtown neighborhoods.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:08 PM

793 posts, read 2,525,262 times
Dr Phillips area should work and parts of Winter Park.

Hope this helps,

Old 03-22-2011, 08:22 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,330,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broker Dave View Post
Dr Phillips area should work and parts of Winter Park.

Hope this helps,
If the OP is going to work in downtown, WP would be a lot easier of a commute than Dr Phillips IMO. Dr Phillips would still beat out Lake Mary though.

I would avoid Lake Mary like the plague if you want to avoid crazy traffic for your commute to downtown. Winter Park, College Park, Baldwin Park, and Thornton Park are all good options.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:55 AM

428 posts, read 1,083,210 times
Look at Baldwin Park; 2.5 miles from downtown.
You could ride a scooter and save lots on gas.
I had to drive to Lake Mary for a party at 6P and the traffic was bumper to bumper.
No way would I do it daily.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:43 AM

58 posts, read 163,269 times
I'm usually driving I4 (heading east, thankfully) about 7AM each morning. Yeah, the west bound (coming into Orlando) is usually moving, but very heavy. There are quite a few homes in the Thornton Park area that would be the perfect location for you - several craftsman style that appear to have been well kept.

used to live in Winter Park - wife worked downtown - traffic was a nightmare even from there.

Old 03-23-2011, 11:49 AM

25 posts, read 54,424 times
Thanks to all for the feedback and confirming Lake Mary isn't a good choice. I don't mind some traffic- I do about 30 min each way now- I would just rather not go the way that is ALWAYS a parking lot. I liked Dr. Phillips area, but I couldn't tell what area was good or not, and I want to check out Winter Park- I didn't get a chance to see much of that area. Anywho, thanks again for all the feedback! Much appreciated!

Old 03-23-2011, 12:11 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,330,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet08 View Post
Thanks to all for the feedback and confirming Lake Mary isn't a good choice. I don't mind some traffic- I do about 30 min each way now- I would just rather not go the way that is ALWAYS a parking lot. I liked Dr. Phillips area, but I couldn't tell what area was good or not, and I want to check out Winter Park- I didn't get a chance to see much of that area. Anywho, thanks again for all the feedback! Much appreciated!
Dr Phillips is not a bad area, plenty of good homes off apopka vineland road, as well as some nice areas right off sand lake rd. Commute to downtown would be <20 mins with no traffic, could be 30-35 mins with.

It's an area to consider if you like "new" more than old. Winter Park is better if you like an older, more historic feel that is closer to downtown. I would argue that Dr Phillips and Winter Park are some of the nicest areas in the Orlando metro area in terms of homes, restaurants and schools.

Old 03-23-2011, 03:47 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,342,054 times
You could also consider Maitland and Colonialtowne and Audubon Park.

Old 03-28-2011, 04:05 AM

89 posts, read 387,658 times
I4 during rush hour (at least 4 pm to around 7 pm) is a parking lot between downtown Orlando and Lake Mary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando