Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 12:48 PM

82 posts, read 154,947 times

Advertisements

Hi. I was hoping some of you experienced Orlando folk could offer some guidance. I am currently up in Gainesville, and looking to move into Orlando soon. I found a townhouse for rent that I like everything about, but in reading through these boards I keep hearing advise to steer clear of this area (Fern Park). Does anyone have opinions/experience about Lake of the Woods? Good or bad? I like that it is near Maitland and Winter Park, areas that I would like to be near, but have been unable to find anything in my price range and size requirements in so-called better areas. Is the whole area bad? The community itself seems nice, and well taken care of. It also has a pool and clubhouse area. Thoughts? Thanks in advance....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 03:29 PM

1,988 posts, read 7,157,626 times
I think Fern Park and Casselberry are spotty. They are not the worst and not the best in the area so it is hard to really advise on that. People will probably tell you horror stories on one end, then you will hear of a person who has lived there 20 years and never encountered a problem. I generally do not like Fern Park, but I would have to specifically see the complex and surrounding streets to judge it.

Old 06-05-2008, 11:16 AM

765 posts, read 2,641,303 times
Lake of the Woods is not bad at all. What you want to stay away from are the apartments on Oxford Rd by English Estates Elementary.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:08 PM

2,700 posts, read 3,686,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpop View Post
Lake of the Woods is not bad at all. What you want to stay away from are the apartments on Oxford Rd by English Estates Elementary.
Good post and an accurate appraisal of the area.

Old 06-07-2008, 07:23 AM

129 posts, read 448,689 times
Lake of the Woods is nice. It is close to everything. The person I know that lives there is a single female and has been there for years. This is an older part of the Orlando area, so things may not look as fresh and clean as elsewhere, but Fern Park is not that bad. It has character and is right on the Orange/Seminole county line, it being in Seminole county.

Old 06-23-2008, 09:52 AM

2 posts, read 10,448 times
Default Lake of the Woods Resident

I'm a LOW (Lake of the Woods) resident. I moved in to LOW in November of 2007. My Fiance owns a Townhome there, we're in our early 30's. It's a nice neighborhood, majority of the residents are elderly and single folks. I've noitced that there are children at the pool on the weekend but they are always with an adult (usually their grandparents). The neighborhood is very quiet. There are some condo's down the street as well as an apartment complex that aren't the greatest looking and have some "ghetto" type folk walking around their area.

My fiance's home was robbed a few years back, but he did leave a door unlocked so it wasn't exactly forced entry. This prompted the purchase of a security system of course.

Overall, the area is not bad at all. I will warn you that the elderly folks that live there don't have a lot to do so if you break the slightest rule there will be a posting about it in the monthly newsletter (lol). They are sticklers about parking on the street but if you break the rule for just a few mins no one seems to mind, but parking on the street for an extended period of time is not tolerated at all and will prompt a towing.

The HOA fee is currently about $175 a month. The activities offered are more up the alley of the main populus (bridge, pot lucks, etc.) and they have a yearly "garage sale" at the clubhouse.

I like it, it suits my Fiance and I well since it's just us and our dog. There are some young couples here but for the most part it's old folks.....

You might hear Ambulance's and Firetrucks entering the neighborhood someitmes 2 or 3 times a day but that's b/c it's a neighborhood of elderly folks and that's pretty self explanatory......

Hope this helps!

Old 06-23-2008, 10:49 AM

Those apartments on Oxford Rd are really the only questionable part of Fern Park. The rest of the area is pretty much older middle class single family homes. The elementary school in the area is an A+ school.

Old 06-23-2008, 02:11 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,554,712 times
I've always liked the looks of this area....I got lost back in there once after leaving Sam's on 436...lol..don't ask how, I couldn't repeat it if I tried.
It's nice to hear it's a decent area.

Old 06-23-2008, 02:48 PM

I believe many people like to bash Fern Park and Casselberry on this forum because it is older and not fresh and new looking like Winter Springs, Oviedo, Lake Mary, etc.

By the way, there are some "not so nice" areas in Winter Springs off 434 in the Moss Rd area.

Old 10-31-2008, 12:35 PM

1 posts, read 8,947 times
I want to move to FL, but a safe part of course, not to expensive, right now I'm just looking, not moving till September, so I have time to make up my mind where in Flordia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando