Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 05:18 PM

11 posts, read 33,757 times

Advertisements

I see all this construction going on in the intersection of narcoosee and lee vista, i heard that a home depot was being constructed. Anybody else know what else is coming to that area? I see theres a hess being built by the 417 and lee vista.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2007, 07:23 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,209,634 times
I heard that there was a Home Depot AND a Lowe's being constructed across the street from one another. We purchased in this area because we wanted to be 'out'. We are still surrounded by County owned land for several miles on each side, but the areas all around are getting developed. I should have known it was going to happen.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:57 PM
JRE

70 posts, read 321,585 times
Weren't Vista Lakes homes built on a World War II bombing range? I read that live ordnance was found throughout the neighborhood. Are people still living there?

Old 04-16-2008, 06:43 PM

2 posts, read 13,651 times
People are living there. 2,300 homes and i think still counting. As i see it's a family comm.! Anyone on here live there? We're moving there!

Old 04-17-2008, 07:58 AM

47 posts, read 285,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandt View Post
People are living there. 2,300 homes and i think still counting. As i see it's a family comm.! Anyone on here live there? We're moving there!
See Pinecastle Jeep Range (http://www.vistalakesfl.com/pinecastle.htm - broken link) and Defuse bomb disaster boring into Vista Lakes. This community has been in the news quite frequently lately due to all the bombs being discovered in the area. The Odyssey Middle School has seen disruption due to this.

Yes, it is a family community but it will be quite a challenge trying to sell your home in the future even when the housing market does pick up. I heard that some owners are being asked to pay up by their lenders since the banks don't want to be involved with these properties. And most of the properties have lost their value tremendously due to this. It really looks like a pleasant community to live in but to have this hanging over the heads of present owners is not something I would want to live with. There are other communities in the area like Lake Nona which do not have this issue.

Old 04-17-2008, 05:55 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,209,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crikey View Post
See Pinecastle Jeep Range (http://www.vistalakesfl.com/pinecastle.htm - broken link) and Defuse bomb disaster boring into Vista Lakes. This community has been in the news quite frequently lately due to all the bombs being discovered in the area. The Odyssey Middle School has seen disruption due to this.

Yes, it is a family community but it will be quite a challenge trying to sell your home in the future even when the housing market does pick up. I heard that some owners are being asked to pay up by their lenders since the banks don't want to be involved with these properties. And most of the properties have lost their value tremendously due to this. It really looks like a pleasant community to live in but to have this hanging over the heads of present owners is not something I would want to live with. There are other communities in the area like Lake Nona which do not have this issue.
Crikey, do you have documentation to back up your claim that Vista Lakes properties have lost their value tremendously? I ask because I was quite surprised when I was comparing properties in Waterford Lakes and Vista Lakes. Vista Lakes has held their value much better than Waterford or Avalon Park from my comparision search on realtor dot com. There are no bombs in Waterford or Avalon Park - you would think when comparing apples to apples...i.e. newer 3 bedroom, 2 bath home over 1600 square feet, you would find cheaper homes in Vista Lakes due to the bomb issue. Such is not the case.

I agree Lake Nona is a really nice area....it's just a little too far from downtown IMHO.

Old 04-17-2008, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianogal View Post
Crikey, do you have documentation to back up your claim that Vista Lakes properties have lost their value tremendously? I ask because I was quite surprised when I was comparing properties in Waterford Lakes and Vista Lakes. Vista Lakes has held their value much better than Waterford or Avalon Park from my comparision search on realtor dot com. There are no bombs in Waterford or Avalon Park - you would think when comparing apples to apples...i.e. newer 3 bedroom, 2 bath home over 1600 square feet, you would find cheaper homes in Vista Lakes due to the bomb issue. Such is not the case.

I agree Lake Nona is a really nice area....it's just a little too far from downtown IMHO.
All of what I posted I just heard from the news. Here's an article that alludes to it. The links I posted would be enough documentation for me to rule the neighborhood out. If a buyer knew about the bombs in that residential neighborhood, do you think a buyer would purchase a house there? I know I won't. Hence, the demand for houses in that particular neighborhood would likely not be as much as the demand for houses in Waterford and Avalon Park.

Now, if we just base it on realtor dot com, well, it may reflect different values since bombs are not normally taken into account when appraising a property. At least, maybe not on realtor dot com. I'm not trying to be negative about Vista Lakes, I'm just stating facts. Without the presence of bombs, it seems to be a very attractive community.

Old 04-17-2008, 07:20 PM

561 posts, read 1,922,540 times
We have freinds that live in Vista Lakes. They live on the side that is "supposed", to not have the bomb problem. They tell us that many many homes are in the forclosure process in that whole area and their next door neighbor has been trying to sell for almost 1 year now and has gone down almost 80K in price so far.

To me that whole area is "tagged" with the bomb reputation and will never recover. I know I would never buy a home there for any amount of money. A lot of people probably feel the same way.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:10 PM

Engineers Blow Up More Bombs Near School (http://www.wesh.com/news/15907595/detail.html - broken link)

Of note for property devaluation:
Eight houses in one subdivision near the range are up for sale, two from foreclosure and one for rent. Most of the homes for sale in the area start at about $500,000, but one of the homes sold for about $334,900

Old 05-26-2008, 03:39 AM
JRE

70 posts, read 321,585 times
Vista Lakes is not a safe place for anyone to live. Bombs and other World War II ordnance continue to be detonated by the Army Corps of Engineers. If life was fair, government and Vista Lakes developers would buy the homes from residents who were not given full disclosures of the live ammunition beneath their homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: