Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 05:41 AM

29 posts, read 100,723 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are planning on moving to the Orlando area (we're thinking Lake Mary) in May. We're coming down in early April to look around. However we have a 5 yr old Shepherd mix (with Shiba Inu). She's about 50-60 lbs and is not aggressive. Our question is, how likely will we find a place that will accept her? One place said they want to meet with her before being accepted; since we live in NY, that is not too likely. I've written to so many realtors on rentals.com with no responses. We still have to find jobs. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 07:54 AM

8 posts, read 22,699 times
Hi - I have rented in Florida for many years, from both private landlords and property management companies, and I have two dogs: one is a 90-lb. lab mix and the other is a 40-lb. shepherd mix. They are both rescue dogs, so I don't really know what the breeds are. I give you all this information so you can know where I'm coming from, and then (hopefully) feel better knowing that I've never had a problem renting a place. I've never had anyone want to meet them; the worst I've had to do is put up a non-refundable deposit for having them (which can be expensive - I've paid $350 for each dog on top of the regular security deposit). I think you'll be fine - just keep looking, and make sure the dog is on flea & tick medications. I wouldn't bother asking "no pets allowed" types if they'll change their minds though. Hold out for people who are fine with pets in the first place. Good luck!

Old 02-14-2008, 11:23 AM

Thanks! Our dog is also a rescue dog. One place wants us to get insurance on her and another said they'd need the property manager to meet with her beforehand. Others said no shepherds, not even mixes. And she's on flea & tick/heartworm medication constantly. I'll keep looking!

Old 02-14-2008, 10:36 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,854,528 times
There are places that will accept your dog. The easiest way for a realtor is to search for the homes and such for rent in the MLS. there are many that don't want pets but always some that do. You might give some thought to what part of town you want, amount of rent/ month and size... these would make the search easier.

Ken Anderson

Old 02-15-2008, 05:22 AM

3 posts, read 6,467 times
hi, we have a rental property there and wouldn't mind a dog, as long as the owners are responsible. good luck!

Old 02-15-2008, 04:57 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times
Many places will accept your dog. What type of place are you looking to rent?

Old 02-15-2008, 05:29 PM

3,928 posts, read 11,596,703 times
I'm sure some landlords will probably reject your "best friend", but with all the inventory sitting empty, I'd say your chances of finding a place suitable for all of you is pretty darned good! I worked recently with one customer who had two chows and another who had a GI-normous Great Pyrenees.

Old 02-15-2008, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
Many places will accept your dog. What type of place are you looking to rent?
We're looking for a 2BD+/1.5BA+ house @ $1300 max. in the Orlando area (not necessarily in Orlando but around it).

Old 02-16-2008, 01:18 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times
You should be able to find something in that price range. Let me recommend Lake Mary/ Longwood/ Altamonte Springs. It also depends where you work. Check craigslist also. Do you want an apartment or a house?

Old 02-19-2008, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
You should be able to find something in that price range. Let me recommend Lake Mary/ Longwood/ Altamonte Springs. It also depends where you work. Check craigslist also. Do you want an apartment or a house?
A house, we figured it would be easier to find something for our dog. We've found 5 realtors so far that will not accept our dog:

-RPM Realty/Real Property Management
-All American Mgmt.
-Wilson Management Group
-ReMax200 Realty
-Homevest Realty

Last edited by JC1972; 02-19-2008 at 07:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando