Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2015, 12:35 PM

1 posts, read 1,214 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I recently got admitted into the University of Central Florida as a graduate student. If I decide to attend school here, I will be living off campus in an apartment with my boyfriend. Though I will be a student myself, I'd kind of like to avoid living somewhere that's filled entirely with college students (though I know it's impossible to completely avoid and be close to campus at the same time). Does anyone have any suggestions on decent apartments that aren't too expensive (maybe around $800 max)? Or just suggestions on areas? I'd like to be within 20 minutes of the school. It is important for me to live in a fairly "safe" area as well! I'm not familiar with the area whatsoever, so I would appreciate any advice. Thanks for your suggestions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2015, 04:29 PM

5,024 posts, read 5,663,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam55 View Post
Hi everyone,

I recently got admitted into the University of Central Florida as a graduate student. If I decide to attend school here, I will be living off campus in an apartment with my boyfriend. Though I will be a student myself, I'd kind of like to avoid living somewhere that's filled entirely with college students (though I know it's impossible to completely avoid and be close to campus at the same time). Does anyone have any suggestions on decent apartments that aren't too expensive (maybe around $800 max)? Or just suggestions on areas? I'd like to be within 20 minutes of the school. It is important for me to live in a fairly "safe" area as well! I'm not familiar with the area whatsoever, so I would appreciate any advice. Thanks for your suggestions
Orlando can be somewhat transient, so perhaps it would be good to be somewhat close to campus in order to meet more new people who are like minded and want to do fun things. I would say both for less traffic and more safety/ higher quality of life, being north of University would be good with some exceptions. What things do you enjoy doing? That could probably narrow it down. Have you and your bf thought of renting a room out of a house. My one friend did that and lived off Lockwood and found it extremely convenient and helpful. There's a new apartment complex at what is eventually going to become the new Downtown Oviedo, so that may be nice too and have a good mix of older people, 20 something's and college students. Once you let us know specific interests that would help. I personally live with my parents, even though I am also a grad student, because free rent is a definite perk. But if that wasn't available, I would probably try and find a house along Lockwood or stay at the apartment complex at the bottom of the road, live at the new place across University, or if I could find somewhere safe at the corner of University and Dean, because I enjoy running at Blanchard Park, and being closer to the cultural amenities of Park Avenue. If this matters to you Oviedo has a comfortable indoor mall that has many good shops, a movie theater and way less traffic than Waterford Lakes . There is also a trail in Oviedo which connects all the way to Downtown Orlando or Winter Park, as well as Little Big Econ State Forest, arguably the most secluded, best hiking trail in the Orlando area. Hope this helps!

Old 03-07-2015, 07:27 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,936,812 times
Check out Baldwin Park, Oviedo and Avalon Park... they are all very different atmospheres within 20 minutes of UCF.

Old 03-07-2015, 07:50 PM

5,024 posts, read 5,663,312 times
Oh yeah forgot about Baldwin Park! I'd even throw in certain portions of Winter Park, Audobon Park too, although those commutes wouldn't be quite as fun.

Old 03-08-2015, 02:18 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,175,975 times
Baldwin Park - 2 new apartment complexes, plus garage apartments and other apartments. Another new apartment complex is being built now and done within a year. It's about 20 minutes from UCF and quiet, safe area. The rent for one of the existing apartment complexes is about 1100 I think...they were running a special....the other one is more expensive. There are home owners with garage apartments so that is an option too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando