Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 04:40 AM

152 posts, read 451,599 times

Advertisements

My family is living in sw FL and are considering a move to the Orlando area. We have been to Orlando many times as tourists, but do not know which areas are good for buying a home. Our budget is limited, but we would like to be in the nicest area for the money. Our budget is max $200,000, but preferably less. We need over 2,000 sq ft, 3 bedrooms, 2 baths. Good schools are only important for resale value. We absolutely do NOT want an HOA home. What would be our best options? Are there any foreclosures for sale that would be worth looking into?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 05:28 AM

27,231 posts, read 44,064,004 times
Your best option would be to visit as a local and not a tourist, since that is how you will be living. Beyond that in your price range you'll not be in an area with very good schools and in a neighborhood you might consider nice, especially since it sounds like you're planning to come in around 175K-180K. If your sole reason to moving to the area is to hang out in the theme parks you might look just outside the area at cities like Winter Haven, Auburndale, Polk City or Clermont which are 30-40 minutes from Walt Disney World and offer more house for the money.

Old 07-12-2013, 06:27 AM

I think the areas that you mentioned would be good. I have heard some good things about Clermont. What about Winter Garden--is that a good area? I did say Orlando area. I realize that on my budget we will not be able to afford the nice areas of Orlando. We are planning to ride up there in the next few days to look around.

Old 07-12-2013, 08:52 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,352,415 times
I believe your budget can get you into some nice areas with good schools. I would suggest Altamonte Springs, Casselberry, Winter Park, Winter Garden, Clermont, Conway and Colonialtowne/Audubon Park.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:24 AM

Thank you Crane's Rooster. Is that the order of top choice to less choice that you would suggest as well? I appreciate your help.

Old 07-12-2013, 10:07 AM

No it was just the random order they came to mind. My family made the same move years ago from Ft. Myers so let my give you my comparison. The first and foremost are that all these areas are fairly well developed and fairly well planned out. Nothing that resembles Cape or Lehigh, all these areas have city waters, sewer, utilities, sidewalks etc. Altamonte is busier suburb in Seminole County. The west side is a really good school district, Lake Brantley. Homes are older but large. Casselberry is similar but further east along 436 which is basically like the 41 of the Orlando area. Some parts may also be called Winter Park. Winter Park itself is very affluent but does have some affordable neighborhoods in the areas. The school district is good. Conway, Colonialtowne and Audubon Park are downtown neighborhoods. The home range from newer development to old historic bungalows. You would be in the bottom end of the housing price here but still could find a good home in good area. Finally Winter Garden and Clermont are on the west side of the metro. NOTHING like SWFL. Alot of rolling hills and completely different look and feel to it than anything in Lee County. Most of the homes in these two areas are new development. Used to be pretty undeveloped so everything is pretty new.

Old 07-12-2013, 10:19 AM

Crane's Rooster, that helps so much. I really appreciate it. We are in Naples, but moved from TN and we are actually missing the hills. That is one reason for the move. We are going to try to come to Orlando to look around over the weekend. We have been to Orlando many times, but never got serious about moving there until now. I can get around the tourist areas pretty well, but never ventured out much farther than that.

Old 07-12-2013, 11:28 AM

I think you will like it here once you get outside the tourist corridor, which btw local rarely venture to. The areas I mentioned, although some of them busy, are nothing compared to the congestion in the tourist corridor. They are also much less commercial. Of course there are still alot of chain restaurants and national chains but you will also find more mom and pops establishments. You will not find any tourists trap 3 T-Shirts for $10 souvenir shops in any of those places. You may also notice a physical change in the environment at well. There's a fabricated "tropicalness" to some of the touristy areas, but once you get outside of it, most of Central Florida actually looks alot more like other parts of the south. Alot of old shady oaks trees as opposed to palms which really don't grow naturally here. If you want hills, Altamonte has some hills but not as noticeable as Clermont which is very hilly. Look up sugarloaf mountain. Life here is much different than vacationing here, but in a good way if you ask me.

Old 07-12-2013, 11:36 AM

566 posts, read 1,256,922 times
You may also want to look at Winter Springs and Oviedo. They're both very family-friendly areas in your price range, and they have more open spaces than further into town.

Old 07-12-2013, 12:52 PM

I am looking forward to a visit without being a tourist. I love the trees there. And I look forward to exploring the hilly areas. Oviedo is on my list to visit as well as some of the others that have been suggested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando