Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 01:55 AM

5 posts, read 13,857 times

Advertisements

I am a newly single mom to a 4-year-old and I'm considering moving from LA to Orlando. I grew up in FL, but haven't lived there in many years, so I think I need a reality check and some info, please!

I love LA, so the reasons behind the move are (1) because my family is in FL so I'd have a good support system; and (2) it's too expensive to live in LA! Moving to Orlando would cut my cost of living almost in half, and I could transfer with my current job to the downtown area. I currently own a condo in a nice part of LA, but I'd need to send my child to private school due to the sad state of LA schools. That alone would be an additional $20K per year.....

I like living in a big city and having lots of conveniences around. I'm looking for a safe, liberal neighborhood where there are very good schools with lots of stuff to do (cafes, restaurants, kids stuff, book stores, etc.). I don't want to spend more than 30 minutes commuting to downtown Orlando, although coming from LA, Orlando traffic would be a breeze.

Can anyone help me narrow down my search? I am thinking about Dr. Phillips, but wonder if it's too stuffy/conservative? I have driven around a little and while I like the area, I'm not as comfortable with all the gated communities. Is that just the norm? Is that due to safety issues? Windemere seems too isolated for my taste. I'm considering Winter Park, but it seems like you are just a stone's throw from a not-so-nice area.... Are there any areas that are liberal and diverse, but still safe with good schools?

I've researched the schools pretty carefully in the various areas, but I'd love any additional feedback. Also, do any of you have kids in private school? I do not want to send my child to a religious-based school, so that seems to narrow my choices considerably. Anyone know about Windermere Prep? Any others?

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the long post!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2010, 04:32 AM

2,580 posts, read 3,751,903 times
The schools in your selected areas are fine. Private school isn't necessary here, especially if you don't have the money to fund it and do other things to get you straight financially. I don't know about the political leanings of each area. I don't know if that really matters, because you will have different people in all areas. Winter Park is generally safe, especially if you are in the "City of Winter Park" verses areas that use the Winter Park address. As far as things to do, downtown is good, especially if you are in the Boone HS feeder chain area, College Park, Winter Park and Dr. Phillips. Tons of local restaurants and stuff.

Old 11-14-2010, 10:41 AM

2,129 posts, read 4,513,149 times
You should also consider neighborhoods right around downtown such as College Park, Thornton Park, and Audubon Park. These places are closer to your work and lots of eclectic shops and cafes around. I'd also really recommend Dr. Phillips- it's safe, good schools, beautiful, close to lots of shopping and entertainment. I don't find it stuffy, as it's a mixture of middle and upper class. Winter Park has always seemed much more stuffy to me.

Old 11-15-2010, 03:13 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,179,752 times
Orlando really does have a huge selection of areas to live and it takes some time to narrow down your area. It is best to consider just renting for at least six months before buying unless you find a really good house that you must buy. I live in BP and really like it. The prices of homes/condos/townhomes in this sub have really come down quite a bit this last year. Also, I like the area around Winter Park Hospital. There are some not so nice areas of WP farther on but this area seems affordable and nice. If you consider BP the schools go from PK-8 and both schools seem to do a good job. WP high school is still rated very high. Boone HS ..I'm not so sure about that area or it's feeder schools. College Park is nice, but not too many new(er) homes which means you might be buying something that will take a bit of fixing up. Another problem with older homes in FL is insurance. Some places, unless they have been updated, might be difficult to insure. I like Thornton Park and there are some very charming homes in there, but older too. I think if you look at as home as another child it makes more sense to buy one that does not take a lot of "care and feeding". We used 5 different real estate agents at the same time when we were looking to move here. I was not impressed with any of them and ended up doing most of the leg work myself. We looked at Dr. P. and that area but did not care for it too much. Traffic seemed a bit much and that I-4 is a real killer. We have our 2 children in SMM in Winter Park and are very happy with it. That is a Catholic school so it is not on your list. Orange county schools have a "so so" rep. and there is a constant battle about education in Florida. The schools here seem to be getting a major remodel, but they have been mismanaged in the past. Mold, poor construction etc...lots of those small portable classrooms in use at some schools. One thing to do is go to the school(s) that you are interested in and watch the children come out after school. Does it look like they like being there etc?. Maitland is not so far out of the way and I've seen some very nice ranch style homes there with nice huge oak trees, yards etc...something to consider too. Good luck!

Old 11-16-2010, 07:16 AM

129 posts, read 316,860 times
Don't do it! My husband and I lived in Miami for four years and then moved to LA in 2005. After several years, I thought I was sick of the LA lifestyle and longed for an easier, simpler life in Florida. We decided to move to Orlando and regretted our decision about two months after the relocation. Nothing can compare to LA after you leave it. I LOVE Florida but missed almost everything about LA after the move. Orlando is a nice, clean city but I find it very boring compared to LA. The traffic on I-4 is horrendous during rush hour and even during the weekend sometimes. We live in Dr. Phillips right now and although it is nice, I call it "second-rate LA." I'm sorry if that sound snobby but it is how I feel. I feel like the shopping areas are trying to be like Calabasas or other nice LA areas, but they can't pull it off. There is a real lack of culture and history here. Everything feels "bland" to me as compared to LA, which is full of life and vibrancy. There is sense of "magic" and endless opportunity in LA that you won't find in Orlando. LA has a certain ethereal quality that is hard to put into words.

As for it being cheaper here, only housing is. Sure, you can get more apartment or condo for your money, but the utilities will kill you. We had a two bedroom apartment and our electric bill was $300 a month during summer months and $200 or more in fall and winter. Water, cable and internet is much more expensive here as well. Due to the utility bills,our monthly expenses are the same here as they were in LA, no lie. The only difference is that we had a one bedroom apt. in LA.

Our family is in the Midwest so I do like the fact that I am closer to them when I am in FL. I can see how having family here is a huge plus and something to consider. I wanted to add that we ran into a girl from San Francisco at a Starbucks a few months ago. I asked her how she liked it here and she said she didn't and that she couldn't wait to move back to California. We are moving back to LA on Dec. 1st ourselves. That was my two cents. I wish you the best of luck whatever you decide to do!

Old 11-16-2010, 10:46 AM

268 posts, read 890,335 times
I just moved back to Orlando after living in LA for the last 6 years and I'm extremely happy to be back. My wife who was born and raised in Pasadena also really likes it here. There is no comparison to the cost of living between the two areas. Don't forget there is no state income tax or disability withholdings in FL. Yes you don't have the same diversity but there is a lot to do in Orlando and it looks clean as someone mentioned.

Winter Park would be a very nice area to live in if you are working downtown. I did think your comment was funny about Winter park being a stones throw from a not so nice area. That basically describes most of LA... you can live in a million dollar house and be three blocks from crack dealers.

Old 11-16-2010, 10:53 AM

268 posts, read 890,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerwriter View Post
Don't do it! My husband and I lived in Miami for four years and then moved to LA in 2005. After several years, I thought I was sick of the LA lifestyle and longed for an easier, simpler life in Florida. We decided to move to Orlando and regretted our decision about two months after the relocation. Nothing can compare to LA after you leave it. I LOVE Florida but missed almost everything about LA after the move. Orlando is a nice, clean city but I find it very boring compared to LA. The traffic on I-4 is horrendous during rush hour and even during the weekend sometimes. We live in Dr. Phillips right now and although it is nice, I call it "second-rate LA." I'm sorry if that sound snobby but it is how I feel. I feel like the shopping areas are trying to be like Calabasas or other nice LA areas, but they can't pull it off. There is a real lack of culture and history here. Everything feels "bland" to me as compared to LA, which is full of life and vibrancy. There is sense of "magic" and endless opportunity in LA that you won't find in Orlando. LA has a certain ethereal quality that is hard to put into words.

As for it being cheaper here, only housing is. Sure, you can get more apartment or condo for your money, but the utilities will kill you. We had a two bedroom apartment and our electric bill was $300 a month during summer months and $200 or more in fall and winter. Water, cable and internet is much more expensive here as well. Due to the utility bills,our monthly expenses are the same here as they were in LA, no lie. The only difference is that we had a one bedroom apt. in LA.

Our family is in the Midwest so I do like the fact that I am closer to them when I am in FL. I can see how having family here is a huge plus and something to consider. I wanted to add that we ran into a girl from San Francisco at a Starbucks a few months ago. I asked her how she liked it here and she said she didn't and that she couldn't wait to move back to California. We are moving back to LA on Dec. 1st ourselves. That was my two cents. I wish you the best of luck whatever you decide to do!
The first 3 years I lived in LA I told everyone I didn't like it. It takes a long time to adjust and most people don't give it enough time.

Old 11-17-2010, 03:59 PM

9 posts, read 21,425 times
totsuka,
my husband and i are considering a job offer in orlando (from Memphis) and are liking the idea of the public schools but nervous since we are used to everyone being forced to send their children to private or catholic schools here. I read that you send your kids to St. Margaret Mary, which is on our list to check out. Is it co-ed or all girls? Do you mind sharing what the annual tuition is? Thanks!

Old 11-17-2010, 10:40 PM

5 posts, read 13,857 times
Thank you all so much for your opinions! It's such a huge move and I really do worry that I will miss LA horribly when I leave... I do feel like it's my home since I've been here for 10 years, and I've worked at the same place for those 10 years, but it is so expensive and we have no family here. There are so many great things out here, so much to do, etc. But, I know my housing costs will go down more than half. Probably more like 3/4. I will definitely rent for a while. I'm in no hurry to buy again and want to make sure I know which neighborhood works for us. My mortgage is huge here - for a condo! And yes, I've factored in the lack of taxes in FL and it will give me a nice boost in pay!

How are the hospitals, etc.? I am so spoiled here with Cedars, UCLA, Children's Hospital, etc. all within a quick drive. I went to public school growing up in Brevard County and it was decent, but it was so much different back then.... I do plan on looking at several schools when I go for a visit. I'm also going to check out the private school in Windemere, just in case.

Totsuka, where is BP? I don't know the Orlando lingo just yet! Summerwriter, good luck with your move back... I'm nervous that I may feel like that, too, but I think I have to give it a try. Having my child's grandparents nearby so they can see her more than 2x a year is really important to me. Johah - glad you like being back!

Thanks for the input!!

Old 11-18-2010, 03:06 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,179,752 times
EOP1016

We are very happy with SMM. The tutition right now is is 5510 per year, plus 450 additional fees, plus you give money every week at church (I give 5 dollars) so that is about 6250 a year or so. (You have to join this Church or another in Orlando. If you don't join the church it is much higher $7700 per year. This is common for all Catholic schools. If you belong to a Catholic church where you live now they will accept that for the 1st year. So you have to join this church or one in this area to get the discount. Additionally, you have to attend mass because, like all Catholic schools, they check. No big deal. It is a nice church, low key. There is no "joining fee" like our last church charged us. I think St. James has a joining fee. Some Churches do and some don't but check and ask before moving.

The school is PK-8, co-ed. The principal is super and makes the school a good choice. The facility is pretty new, very nice location, quiet etc. The children are very well behaved, very polite which most parents always comment on during PTA meetings etc. The teachers are strict but fair, positive. One thing they do not tolerate is bullying, misbehaving. They teachers and principal make that very clear to the students and parents. I have never heard of any problems and when I do my volunteer work I'm impressed with the order and discipline. The children all seem to like being there and I have never heard of any complaints. You will have to do 10 hours volunteer work per year but it's a piece of cake. My daughter is in 1st grade and son is in PK. I was not a big believer in PK, but he really enjoys it. The parents are very involved, positive etc. I'm very impressed with how polite the children are. I know most of it comes from the parents which is a good sign. I do my volunteer hours on the playground and the children get along very well. I have never seen any fights etc...it is a good indication of the parents and schools higher standards. Just a thought...

Currently, there might be a waiting list for some grades so you have to contact the school and ask the admin staff. They are very friendly and helpful. We checked all the Catholic schools in the area before choosing this one. Not that the other schools are bad, but we liked this one.

The Catholic High School is Bishop Moore, which is about 5 miles away. I attended an open house there a few weeks ago and was very impressed with the staff, facility and educational programs.

The public high school near us is Winter Park which has a very good reputation. The biggest negative for us is the size (3400 students), but they built a new 9th grade center which splits off about 900 students. It is good to think about the high school choice now so you are not forced to move later.

I think a good thing to consider is moving to an area that has a good public school in case your child or you don't not like the private school. (Back up school). We picked Baldwin Park which is about a ten minute drive from SMM. It has two "A" rated public schools (both new). Quite a few of my neighbors children attend those schools and are very happy with them. I like BP because it is new (less than 6 years old), very nice design, Publix, Drug Store, Bank etc..within walking distance. The price of homes has come down from the previous years. Check realtor.com (Zip Code 32814). The cheapest home I see is a small 3/2 for about 220, but a bit too small. The new townhomes are still going up, 2200 sq ft., 240k, and some 3/2, 1800sq feet homes for about 350k. There is one really nice 3/2 with a pool, great location for about 399k, but don't let the price scare you away. Any home in Orlando, always knock off 50-100k when you make any offer. They can only say no.

One thing to consider is maybe going cheap on the home and putting the money into private school. But, not too cheap. Don't buy a "unsellable" home because you never know what the future might hold and have to relocate again. I thing I noticed about Florida homes is the older they get, the less maintained they are so you had better really look close at any older home.

A must is for one of you to take a trip here and actually look around. SMM will give you a tour but they need an appointment. But even if you just "show up", they will walk you around. The Admin staff, teachers love to chat, talk up their school etc. Also, really consider renting for a few months before buying. There are some really nice homes for sale, but you have to get out and look. I like BP, but there are some nice homes outside of BP too. I first looked at Orlando back in 2002, but then took a job overseas. Came back in 2006 but home prices were too high. Got serious again in 2008 and bought in 2010 when the home we liked, price, timing worked for us. A lot of home owners got burned in Orlando/BP and payed way too much. Some are going into short sale, foreclosure, but those can take time. Then look at your back up public schools. Just go there when the children are getting out and see what is going on. Organized, well dressed, etc...you can tell a lot about a school by how the children act. If my children went to these two public schools I think it would be ok.

It is very hard to try and balance a move, schools, house etc. We pretty much got everything in place. UCF is close buy (15 minutes, so with luck both of our children will attend there and that will save us a bundle not having to pay for an apartment. The private vs public school debate never stops.

Many people like to live farther out of Orlando, for home prices, and schools. I think eventually the price of gas will kill or hurt those people. Gas was about 4.50 a gallon a few years ago and has gone up 20 cents in the last few weeks. Here it is 2.80 per gallon. I would recommend not to buy with the idea of driving on I-4. That is one big mess everyday. If you buy over by Disney, you get a lot of tourist traffic. There is a Catholic school there and the public schools have a good rep., we looked over there but did not care for it.

Good luck and if you have any questions just post it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando