Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2013, 07:24 PM

214 posts, read 467,913 times

Advertisements

We are looking to relocate in a few months to the Orlando area (probably apopka or oviedo) and was wondering what the approximate annual cost of heating and maintaining a pool (using a pool maintenance company) costs. Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 08:29 PM

331 posts, read 1,051,957 times
I don't live in Apopka or Oviedo but I have a 20000 gallon pool that is not heated and we pay $71 a month. I live in Deltona so I really don't think the price would differ that much in the central Florida area.

Old 05-24-2013, 06:22 PM

220 posts, read 417,732 times
A pool seems to cost a lot more money then what you can imagine. On top of our $ 90 per month pool guy (yes we have a pool person) it is about $ 30 for the gas heater per month (only heats the jacuzzi). What kills us is that in 8 years we have had = 3 motors replaced, 1 new gas heater, 1 salt system, 3 leaks. Probably spent another $ 6k on those items in addition to the monthly items.

Now with that said = we love having a pool in Orlando. Can not imagine owning a house that does not have one.

Another alternative = live near the back of Disney and get a family annual water park pass and you can go to the water parks every day.

Old 05-24-2013, 06:46 PM

254 posts, read 789,990 times
Default Pool Maintenance

I only have a 12000 gal salt water pool. I too have a pool guy (reduced his service to 2x/mo/$17@). We put a bag of salt every now and then (one bag cost less than $6). I have a heated spa as well, just had it turned on and I think the 1st year is free and then they will charge me $75/yr for renting the gas tank. We hardly use it so we haven't filled out the tank to its full capacity as of yet. I have a home warranty which includes the pool and so far they have replaced the "cell" so I haven't spent a lot in maintaining the pool. Pool was built in 2005. I'm glad we have a pool though. I can't imagine living in FL without one.

Maintaining the pool seems easy. It's just that we don't have the time. You have to brush it and you can go to a pool store e.g. "Leslie's Pool" and they can test the water in the pool ( they give you a small bottle) and tell you what chemicals you will need. Good luck.

Last edited by nixau27; 05-24-2013 at 06:48 PM.. Reason: add

Old 05-24-2013, 10:00 PM

288 posts, read 733,768 times
We also have a pool and a pool guy who comes out once a week. This runs $100 a month which includes chemicals and salt. Once a year the DE (diatomaceous earth) filter has to be cleaned out for around $60. We have a salt system and a rooftop heater. The salt water chlorine generator (SWG) lasts about 5 years and we've had to replace it once for $250 or so (I don't remember). The rooftop heater is a pain in the neck and may invalidate any warranty you may have on your roof. So far the censor has had to be replaced and we have fought leaks in it ever since we had it, so we don't use it anymore, don't really need to. We have also had leaks occasionally in the filtration system that have to be repaired, but it happens.

The other thing is the screen that encloses the pool area. There are tall pines, oak trees, and a camphor tree in the yard and they are always dropping debris, especially during storms. Some of it gets through the screen but I cannot imagine not having the screen enclosure. Without it the pool would be a real job to keep clean. So every now and then the screens have to be replaced because they just rot out and develop holes. Keeping the top of the enclosure free of tree debris is no fun, but better there than in the pool.

Even considering all this, I would not want a house without a pool, and would not want to swim in a public pool. It's just nice to see it out the window or sit by it on the patio, and it's nice to be in! I have no kids so there are no worries there. The neighborhood HOA does require that homes with pools have the back yard fenced. If there are children I think there is some kind of rule about having an inner enclosure around the pool as well.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:59 AM

511 posts, read 854,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehB33nz View Post
I don't live in Apopka or Oviedo but I have a 20000 gallon pool that is not heated and we pay $71 a month. I live in Deltona so I really don't think the price would differ that much in the central Florida area.
Erm $71 for electric and maintenance? Sounds low to me and I've been in the pool business for 25 years, never owned a pool myself, (that's kind of like being a GYN if you know what I mean) but that still sounds even lighter then prices back when, let alone now, given that I know what the cost for service alone is and also doesn't account for repairs.

Old 05-27-2013, 08:08 AM

511 posts, read 854,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nixau27 View Post
I only have a 12000 gal salt water pool. I too have a pool guy (reduced his service to 2x/mo/$17@). We put a bag of salt every now and then (one bag cost less than $6). I have a heated spa as well, just had it turned on and I think the 1st year is free and then they will charge me $75/yr for renting the gas tank. We hardly use it so we haven't filled out the tank to its full capacity as of yet. I have a home warranty which includes the pool and so far they have replaced the "cell" so I haven't spent a lot in maintaining the pool. Pool was built in 2005. I'm glad we have a pool though. I can't imagine living in FL without one.

Maintaining the pool seems easy. It's just that we don't have the time. You have to brush it and you can go to a pool store e.g. "Leslie's Pool" and they can test the water in the pool ( they give you a small bottle) and tell you what chemicals you will need. Good luck.
This is a myth like so many others, it is not as easy as a "professional" makes it look and most of the time the sales people at pool stores are just that and are book trained and really have no practical experience to draw upon and I personally have had to repair serious damage to pools they mucked up because the had no idea why certain things were happening and just kept selling the customer more chems and products that all just added up to more damage. I am biased but if you only knew how much damage can be done in such a short period and how much time and more over money you can waste you'd never consider doing your own pool yourself if you're wise..

These days every body and his brother thinks they're professional pool people and includes pool service in services like mowing a lawn which ANYONE can do and they are polluting the profession with unqualified service personnel and undercutting REAL professionals and it's a sham as they are supposed to be licensed in that specialty..

Old 07-27-2016, 10:08 AM

1 posts, read 4,246 times
Hi All, I want to buy a house with a caged pool in the back yard in Florida(Inverness). I live in newyork. I can go there once or twice a year for vacation, but can not move there permanently for atleast 15 years. How difficult would it be to maintain?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando