Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 04:13 AM

1,793 posts, read 3,351,653 times

Advertisements

Hello, Floridians!! Now before you think my question is crazy, let me say that I've never been to DW or even cared to go - though friends of mine simply rave over it all and go every chance they get. As much as I love amusement parks, crowds just don't do it for me .

That said, I would love to take my niece and great-nephew there next spring (or maybe even over the Christmas holiday). I have no children of my own, and she is a wonderful young lady, struggling as a single mother, working two jobs and taking classes for an advanced degree while trying to provide a loving home for her 11-yr-old son. I just adore her. Now that I am 55 and comfortable, I would like to provide them with an unforgetable trip; something really top of the line, inside of the park. We're looking at maybe 3 nights, 4 days.

Would anyone be kind enough to share their opinions with me? I'd truly appreciate it. Thanks so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 05:33 AM

1,722 posts, read 3,749,801 times
My personal favorite is the Contemporary Resort. My family stayed there five times in the 70's and 80's. It's fun being very close to everything and if you can get a tower room with a theme park view, nights will be fantastic looking at the lights and fireworks from the comfort of the balcony.

Old 04-23-2012, 05:54 AM

27,228 posts, read 43,956,177 times
I think for kids the Animal Kingdom Lodge would be unforgettable.
Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge | Walt Disney World Resort

Old 04-23-2012, 06:27 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,178,667 times
I would choose the Beach Club Resort. You can walk to the back gate of Epcot, it has great pools for kids. You can take the boat to Hollywood Studios and get the Monorail at Epcot to go to the Magic Kingdom.
My favorite place for burgers and ice cream is there-Beaches and Cream and it is a beautiful hotel.

Other than that I would say try to stay at a monorail resort. You can walk to Magic Kingdom from the Contemporary but for me it just seems too busy there because of the monorail going through the building.

The other thing to think about is what parks you will be taking them to and what the kids like to do.
Even though the hotels are not as fancy or expensive, I know my nephew would prefer staying at All Star Movies because he is a big Woody(Toy Story) fan so he would love just staying there.

If the kids love animals and you plan Animal Kingdom as one of the parks you plan to go to the Lodge is beautiful.

To get views of the animals at AKL or the castle view at Contemporary you have to book rooms specifically and they will cost more than the rooms that look out at the parking lot etc. so be specific with choices.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:32 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,114,080 times
Club level at the Yacht or Beach Club or the Grand Floridian.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:34 AM

1,793 posts, read 3,351,653 times
Thanks so much!!! Looks like both of them are winners. I guess I need to study the exact locations within the park as I am so new to this. We'll probably book two rooms unless I can find a suite with two bedrooms (the old lady is used to privacy - LOL). Just the research is going to be an adventure!! More opinions (including what to stay away from) are welcome!

Old 04-23-2012, 06:49 AM

1,284 posts, read 3,898,286 times
Take a look at the themes of the hotels and which you guys would enjoy most.Also look at the location as you have some hotels that allow you to walk or take a boat to some of the parks,others have monorail access while others bus would be your main mode of transportation.I don't have a favorite but rather favorites,Wilderness Lodges I love the theme,transportation would be boat to the Magic Kingdom and bus to the other parks,the Polynesian is also great with monorail access to the Magic Kingdom and Epcot and bus to Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios.The Beach Club and Boardwalk have walking or boat access to Epcot and Hollywood Studios and bus to Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom.Animal Kingdom Lodge is also a great one but only has bus transportation everywhere.These are my favorites but I have no problems at all with the value resorts,the All Stars,Pop Century and they're in the process of opening the Art of Animation resort next to Pop century,all of these would have bus transportation.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
Thanks so much!!! Looks like both of them are winners. I guess I need to study the exact locations within the park as I am so new to this. We'll probably book two rooms unless I can find a suite with two bedrooms (the old lady is used to privacy - LOL). Just the research is going to be an adventure!! More opinions (including what to stay away from) are welcome!
Check out this site for info on the hotels, parks, etc. . If you plan to eat in some of the "sit down" nicer restaurants you can start getting your reservations 190 days from when you stay. There are packages you can buy where you get rooms, passes, and dining so there are a lot of options.

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com - Powered by vBulletin

Just overlook the rudeness and immaturity of some of the posters on some posts and you will be able to get some good info.

Can't get Mousersavers to go to the main page but it is a good source for planning.

Last edited by Rabflmom; 04-23-2012 at 07:16 AM.. Reason: posting a link but not going to the exact page so deleting link

Old 04-23-2012, 07:17 AM

41 posts, read 54,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
Check out this site for info on the hotels, parks, etc. .

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com - Powered by vBulletin
I was going to recommend this site as well.

Be sure to do research as to whether you want to go during Christmas break. I've never been during that time, but from what I understand, it is the absolute most crowded time of year.

Have fun on your vacation!

Old 04-23-2012, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Freebird View Post
I was going to recommend this site as well.

Be sure to do research as to whether you want to go during Christmas break. I've never been during that time, but from what I understand, it is the absolute most crowded time of year.

Have fun on your vacation!
The week between Christmas and New Years is the most crowded time. 2 hour waits in standby lines is not unheard of and often the Magic Kingdom closes admittance by 10 AM due to capacity. If you can go the during weeks between Thanksgiving and the last few days before Christmas it isn't bad. The Magic Kingdom and Epcot have a lot of good things happening during those times....The Castle lights and Christmas fireworks at the Magic Kingdom are beautiful. To see the Christmas parade and special shows you do have to buy an additional hard ticket to get into the Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party. After about the 20th the parade is during regular hours.

The Candlelite processional at Epcot is wonderful. They do Christmas in all the countries and Illuminations is different at Christmas( my favorite time to go to Epcot)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando