Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 10:57 AM

73 posts, read 143,655 times

Advertisements

Hello:
Can anyone tell me when there's a house for sell in a gated community--does that mean that there's always security at the main gate? Also how does that work with visitors--do they have to show an ID to get into your house? does the security guard call to let you know someone is going to your house? How does that works? I have never lived in a gated community but I am looking to move to Orlando soon and we would like the option of buying in a gated community. Do we need an alarm security system if we live in a gated community?

Thanks for all your help!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 07:27 PM

63 posts, read 165,677 times
Two types of gated places, manned and unmanned. The manned places will have a higher HOA fee to pay for the security guards. Some places are kind of silly and are short of aking for DNA
Unmanned will usually be less and is controlled via a remote to open the gate when you enter. Once your name is in the electronic register by the gate, guests will look up your name and call you so you can buzz them in.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:35 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,093,326 times
Manned- you have to put the person's name at the gate. They have to show ID to get in. If not on the list, they will attempt to call you.

Unmanned-worthless, anybody can get in by following another car in. Others have one code and anyone can find it out if they know somebody living there.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:12 PM

27,231 posts, read 44,018,252 times
[quote=beckycat;22809331 Unmanned-worthless, anybody can get in by following another car in. Others have one code and anyone can find it out if they know somebody living there.[/QUOTE]

^^^ 100% agree, it's ridiculous. Meanwhile there are nicer communities without gates being overlooked that are every bit as safe if not more so.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:45 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,093,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
^^^ 100% agree, it's ridiculous. Meanwhile there are nicer communities without gates being overlooked that are every bit as safe if not more so.
^^^^Agree. It's safe enough here. We don't live in gated subdivision, nor do we have an alarm system.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:57 AM

27,231 posts, read 44,018,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
^^^^Agree. It's safe enough here. We don't live in gated subdivision, nor do we have an alarm system.
No gates here either but I do have a security system for fire monitoring...I pretty much never set the alarm.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:13 AM

793 posts, read 2,526,425 times
The trend for unmanned but gated and the nicer non-gated are installing cameras to catch non resident entries.

24 hour guard-gated is best and if that's your direction look at Heathrow and Alaqua Lakes in Lake Mary and possibly Veramonte a newer community that currently has a gate and guard house just don't know if the new residents will go that route.

Hope this helps,

Old 02-02-2012, 08:31 AM

1,257 posts, read 4,578,501 times
I have lived in 24hr guard-gated communities all my life. When I was looking for our next house, I looked into buying outside the gate but I somehow just don't feel right. I once hired a painter to paint our house but very quickly was informed that he has criminal history and is in the middle of a trial. I called and informed him to keep the deposit and sent all his tools to the guard gate for him to pick up. I was so relieved that I could have the guard to deal with him. As you live in the community long enough, the guards are friends and they start to know your friends too. My housekeeper and dog sitter and the pool guy never have any problem to get in. All the guards know them.

Here is the answer to your question:
Can anyone tell me when there's a house for sell in a gated community--does that mean that there's always security at the main gate?
It depends as others have answered the question.

Also how does that work with visitors--do they have to show an ID to get into your house? does the security guard call to let you know someone is going to your house? How does that works?
You call the guard ahead of time to let guard know. And your guest will be allowed in. If you didn't call ahead of time, the guard will call you to obtain your permission. To reduce their workload, it is better to let guard know ahead of time.

Do we need an alarm security system if we live in a gated community? It depends. Many new gated communities have a lot of renters now due to this house market. So.. I have an alarm system in my home inside the gate. I have never used it.

Last edited by LingLing; 02-02-2012 at 08:42 AM..

Old 02-02-2012, 09:49 AM

63 posts, read 165,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
Manned- you have to put the person's name at the gate. They have to show ID to get in. If not on the list, they will attempt to call you.

Unmanned-worthless, anybody can get in by following another car in. Others have one code and anyone can find it out if they know somebody living there.

Pretty much true but people think because they live in a manned gated community, they will not be burglarized. True it's harder in the manned scenario but anyone can jump over the wall or fence, specially the homes on the perimeter and do a burglary in a snap. Easier if no burglar alarm is on. As far as finding out who lives where, thanks to the internet privacy has gone out the window. I don't even see the reason for having an unmanned system as it is just about worthless as beckycat said.

Old 02-02-2012, 10:30 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,086,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernbar View Post
Pretty much true but people think because they live in a manned gated community, they will not be burglarized. True it's harder in the manned scenario but anyone can jump over the wall or fence, specially the homes on the perimeter and do a burglary in a snap. Easier if no burglar alarm is on. As far as finding out who lives where, thanks to the internet privacy has gone out the window. I don't even see the reason for having an unmanned system as it is just about worthless as beckycat said.
I live in a manned gated community, while it's not 100% foolproof, it does keep someone from taking more than the small items they could easily carry. I've also got an alarm, web cam based monitoring, and two big dogs who don't like strangers and have no problem defending their turf.

Want to try and burglarize me? You'll regret it--don't say you weren't warned. Rob me? I'll shoot to kill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando