Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2011, 06:51 PM

5 posts, read 10,220 times

Advertisements

Moving from Jacksonville to Orlando in a couple of months and trying to decide which in part of Orlando to live. I been in Orlando at least 4 times in the past 3 months....love the FL Mall and the outlets, better than shopping in JAX. is the job market in Orlando good? Hopefully better than Jacksonville which SUCKS.

So far, I've looking at Rosemont/Lake Orlando, Altamonte Springs (used to live near the area 10 years ago), UCF area and this one place........... Fountains At Lee Vista which is off State Road 436. I need to know if these area are safe areas, cause I don't wanna live in an area with shooting, constant breakins, police brutality (been a victim in JAX), ETC..

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 07:59 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,221,631 times
Please don't move here, this town sucks just as bad! Only with more Spanish, and for being touted as a tourist town, it has some really, really slow times. No wonder there's foreclosures and people leaving this town all the time. Orlando is a joke.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:13 PM

27,245 posts, read 44,225,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLStateOfMind View Post
Moving from Jacksonville to Orlando in a couple of months and trying to decide which in part of Orlando to live. I been in Orlando at least 4 times in the past 3 months....love the FL Mall and the outlets, better than shopping in JAX. is the job market in Orlando good? Hopefully better than Jacksonville which SUCKS.

So far, I've looking at Rosemont/Lake Orlando, Altamonte Springs (used to live near the area 10 years ago), UCF area and this one place........... Fountains At Lee Vista which is off State Road 436. I need to know if these area are safe areas, cause I don't wanna live in an area with shooting, constant breakins, police brutality (been a victim in JAX), ETC..

Thanks

If you can't find work in a city with a more diversified economy and a lower unemployment rate what makes you think it's going to be better here? Also for what it's worth Jacksonville has a lower crime rate and lower cost of living so you're not winning out there either.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:09 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,366,237 times
I would not chose Rosemont area, it's can be pretty rough in spots. Altamonte is still a great place to live. Altamonte mall is not quite FL Mall or the outlets but I would say it's the best mall outside of the tourist corridor. They now have H&M, an Apple Store and all other typical mall stores. There are rarely any vacant store fronts in Altamonte Mall. UCF and Lee vista areas are nice but population is exploding in these areas. With that you have all the expected problems of explosive growth, traffic etc. If you're unhappy in Jax why not give it a shot here. You've already heard from the naysayers so take it for what it's worth. Best of luck to you.

Old 12-06-2011, 01:24 PM

27,245 posts, read 44,225,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
I would not chose Rosemont area, it's can be pretty rough in spots. Altamonte is still a great place to live. Altamonte mall is not quite FL Mall or the outlets but I would say it's the best mall outside of the tourist corridor. They now have H&M, an Apple Store and all other typical mall stores. There are rarely any vacant store fronts in Altamonte Mall. UCF and Lee vista areas are nice but population is exploding in these areas. With that you have all the expected problems of explosive growth, traffic etc. If you're unhappy in Jax why not give it a shot here. You've already heard from the naysayers so take it for what it's worth. Best of luck to you.
I'm not being a naysayer, rather cautious given the OP's original comments which involve wanting to move away because she prefers the shopping here and an inability to find a job in a city which has a lower jobless rate than here. The inability to find a job here for many is well documented as is the higher cost of living and higher crime rate. Facts and common sense are an important consideration one should take into consideration when moving and shouldn't be dismissed as a "take it for what it's worth" comment.

Old 12-06-2011, 06:14 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,366,237 times
I'd have agreed with you more if the OP was leaving a job to try their luck here but in a situation where you're leaving one job search to try in another area....I say give it a shot. You know I'm not very big on statistics as they often are too general to reflect the complete picture. CFL may have a higher overall crime rate but living in a safe area in Jax and safe area in ORL you're not very likely to be affected by crime either way. I don't know much about the cost of living but I would believe Jax is lower because it's a port city. My point is we're not talking about comparing NYC and ORL here, it's Jax and Orl....I don't think it's such a huge difference in any category that if you enjoy one over the other you shouldn't give it a shot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando