Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 11:06 PM

566 posts, read 1,258,322 times

Advertisements

I have a wife and three small children, and getting into Disney World is going to set us back big time. We'll need every coupon and deal we can find to make it. As we'll be Florida residents in a few weeks, there is that Florida-residents-only deal with a cut rate. I also heard from a friend's friend about some kind of community service program where if you put in so many hours, you can get a discount to DW? Anyone know anything about that?

I guess one can't bring food into the park, such as a picnic basket with sandwiches. Part of the money-making business at DW, I imagine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2011, 11:17 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,213,963 times
I bring food into Disney all the time. And the only real discounts is to get a blue maingate pass otherwise your still talking hefy prices even with Florida residents I.D.

Old 12-03-2011, 11:20 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,942,694 times
If a program indeed existed where community service hours could translate into discounted/free WDW tickets, just know that it would be an incentive arranged by the organization the service is being done for--not WDW. Sometimes companies/organizations purchase discounted tickets from Disney in order to give as a "benefit" to their employees/volunteers. Disney wouldn't be giving out these tickets (too much potential for abuse).

Old 12-04-2011, 06:47 AM

3,981 posts, read 8,199,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post
If a program indeed existed where community service hours could translate into discounted/free WDW tickets, just know that it would be an incentive arranged by the organization the service is being done for--not WDW. Sometimes companies/organizations purchase discounted tickets from Disney in order to give as a "benefit" to their employees/volunteers. Disney wouldn't be giving out these tickets (too much potential for abuse).
Actually it was Disney's theme after the get in free on your birthday celebrate year. They gave away 1,000,000 passes to people who volunteered for a day at charity/service places that registered for the program. It was filled before the middle of the year and 1,000,000 people did get in free for a day that year..
This year they are doing something with your pictures on the castle so no free passes.
To OP .....
Best bet for a Florida resident is the Florida passes, but I think some of those have black out days so might not be able to get in during the Christmas season. You will need to get your Florida driver's license's before trying to buy the Florida pass. Might still be able to get them by showing several consecutive electric bills etc. but not sure what they take as proof of residence now. Buying multi-day ticket makes days cheaper over time but expires in 1 year. Don't buy hoppers and that will save money. Don't rent a stroller-bring your own. You can ask any restaurant for a glass of water rather than buying water.
If you do decide to bring in food to eat, you can't bring in hard coolers or anything with wheels. They will let you bring in small soft coolers but nothing in glass or knives to cut anything. If you decide to buy there sometimes the meals are big enough to share especially for kids

One option to get the Disney feel is to go to downtown Disney. (free parking) Lots of things for the kids to see and do including Santa and seeing characters. You can take a bus from there to a resort to see Disney Christmas decorations.

You might actually be surprised at how many Florida residents have not ever been in a Disney park because of the expense. Disney does have a pay monthly plan for Floridians now. You might want to check that.

Old 12-04-2011, 09:23 AM

428 posts, read 1,084,838 times
How to save on food 101.

I saw a family of 4 adults and 4 kids at one of the restaurants in WDW.
They ordered 2 hamburgers then went to the condiment bar. They took loads of sliced lettuce back to the table, mixed ketchup and mayo for salad dressing, added dill pickle slices, mushrooms etc. and ate for free; other than the 2 burgers.
No one said a word from Disney.
I have only witnessed this once and really thought it was both ingenious and pathetic.
You gotta pay to play and it's not really a salad bar afterall.

Seaworld does allow you to take in food but not a cooler. We would take in a sandwich and get free beer which they no longer do and sit on a bench. It was nice and relaxing.

We also take in water since the water at the coolers is AWFUL!

Old 12-04-2011, 07:54 PM

1,284 posts, read 3,903,439 times
Disney did the volunteer "Give a Day,Get a Day" promotion last year,I volunteered 3-4 hours at a warehouse sending food and supplies to hurricane victims in Haiti.I've had the Florida resident seasonal pass for over a decade and last year Disney added the monthly payment program.We used the 1 day credit from volunteering to put as the down payment on the pass last December,after the down we were left paying $13 something a month.This year since we're renewing using the monthly payment program no down payment is required so our payment will go up to $21 something.When they did the birthday promotion in 2009 I also went on my birthday and also used the credit to renew my pass when it came due.Disney unfortunately doesn't do discounts or deals too frequently,occasionally they'll have a deal for Florida residents.I also saw an older couple doing the "condiments salad" once,I don't think they even ordered anything,just asked for two plates and loaded up on lettuce,onions,tomatoes and honey mustard for chicken strips as a dressing,crazy!!Only saw it once though.

Old 12-04-2011, 08:12 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,942,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
Actually it was Disney's theme after the get in free on your birthday celebrate year. They gave away 1,000,000 passes to people who volunteered for a day at charity/service places that registered for the program.
You're right, I totally forgot about that!!

Old 12-05-2011, 01:24 AM

12 posts, read 68,613 times
If you are local and don't mind going on weekdays, the Florida resident Weekday Annual pass is the best deal. With monthly payments its $90 down, and $8/mo for a year. And you can visit the 4 major parks year-round, except for some blockout dates , but the blockout days are so crowded you should avoid them anyway.

Old 12-05-2011, 05:30 AM

3,981 posts, read 8,199,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hallbabies View Post
If you are local and don't mind going on weekdays, the Florida resident Weekday Annual pass is the best deal. With monthly payments its $90 down, and $8/mo for a year. And you can visit the 4 major parks year-round, except for some blockout dates , but the blockout days are so crowded you should avoid them anyway.
the waterparks have a good AP for locals, too.

The best way for locals to get into the parks inexpensively is to get a part time job working-either seasonal or parttime on weekends etc. The person who works there can go almost unlimited on their pass and they get to bring in 3 people for free on their pass a certain number of days a year. They have to go to the gate and are supposed to accompany their 3 guests in the park. Some people work just a few weeks a year to keep their pass and work as engineers, doctors, lawyers, and candlestick makers etc. to make money to live on. That is the way we get in. We can go either 10 or 12 times a year for free but it still ends up costing more than $100 +for the day since we eat there (some discounts on that too and anything bought in the parks with employee discount). There are some blackout days for this, too. We still probably only can stand 2 or 3 times a year at the parks, though.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:20 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,209,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
Some people work just a few weeks a year to keep their pass and work as engineers, doctors, lawyers, and candlestick makers etc. to make money to live on. That is the way we get in. We can go either 10 or 12 times a year for free but it still ends up costing more than $100 +for the day since we eat there (some discounts on that too and anything bought in the parks with employee discount). There are some blackout days for this, too. We still probably only can stand 2 or 3 times a year at the parks, though.
You're joking right ? Why would a doctor, lawyer, or engineer work a few weeks a year at a theme park when they easily afford an annual pass or 20 annual passes for that matter ?

And for the OP ... if you have to struggle to afford passes to the theme parks, maybe you should be looking for cheaper entertainment for now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando