Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2011, 06:54 AM

6 posts, read 17,047 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I have read forums for quite some time and have finally joined! Seeking opinions on Lake Mary and Sanford. Beckycat and Kyle seem quite knowledgeable. Noted your geographic boundaries Kyle. Still don't have a feel for areas, though. Is anyone familiar w/Grande Oaks@Heathrow TH's? What about Fountain Parke, and lastly, Terracina by Taylor Morrison in Sanford. Schools all seem quality in aforementioned communities. Have young children and like most, crime, safety, decent neighbors and affordability are concerns. Thank you!

I had posted the above on 7/22 and have rec'd no responses.
I would appreciate any input, esp on Grande Oaks. THX again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2011, 08:27 AM

793 posts, read 2,525,911 times
Lisa,

All three are good communities, my wife and I lived in Lake Mary / Sanford area for years and have sold property in or around the communities.

The one problem with Terracina is going to be the construction at 46 and I-4, they are redesigning the on/off ramps for 46 also the 429 beltway, lots of congestion and dust.

Grande Oaks just outside the rear entrance to Heathrow, located within walking distance to Public's and Walgreens, community has a nice pool and bike trail is close by. Light traffic at rush hours due to Heathrow entrance and cut through to Markham Woods area you'll need to deal with when leaving community.

Fountain Parke again has bike trail and shopping is close by, stop light at entrance so access to community is easy.

Hope this helps,

Old 08-02-2011, 03:39 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,082,798 times
They are nice areas. Everything is closeby and low crime. I'd check the schools. I think they are zoned for Sanford, not sure. The west cluster for elementary is fine. My kids went to Wilson Elementary. Markham Middle and Greenwood Lakes are fine. As for high school, Lake Mary is preferred.

Good luck.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:59 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,952,560 times
I am very familiar with Fountain Parke as I have family in there. Crystal Lake Elementary is right there at the entrance of your subdivision, so if you have young children, the location is perfect. Also, FP is set far enough back from busy Reinhart Road that you don't hear a lot of traffic when enjoying your patio. Grand Oaks is literally on busy 46A near the entrance of Heathrow, and it's location is why my family members chose otherwise. Yes they were temped by it's walk-ability to restaurants, bars, grocery, and even a movie theater and cigar bar, however FP is still really close to lots of amenities, including a cross county recreational trail as some mentioned. The units at FP are nicer than GO and IMO, a better deal. Even the elevators inside the units at GO were not up to par with FP, you could actually see the floors through the grates of the elevator "door." In FP, you will have a nice accordion style door in your very sleek, private elevator, what could be sweeter for under $300k. Both places have nice clubhouses and nice pools, although I'm partial to FP's Tuscany ambiance. Check them both out, either are great places to live, with reasonable association fees that come with a lot (cable, internet, gym, pool, clubhouse access, security, gate, lawn maintenance, outside window washing, etc). If you have more specific questions feel free to ask, welcome to Orlando.

Old 08-03-2011, 05:39 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,984,073 times
Hi Lisa!

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Not sure how I missed your original post. Looks like you've already gotten some good information and I too would steer you towards Fountain Parke versus the Grande Oak option. The Fountain Parke area is centrally located and has easy access to nearby stores and restaurants. However I'm more of a fan of the Lake Forest area (Terracina) as it's quieter/less congested than Lake Mary or Heathrow, and has enough stores/services nearby that you don't have to drive around much. I wouldn't be swayed by the construction at I-4 and SR46 as I travel through there almost daily and find it far less congested with construction happening versus a normal day in Lake Mary or Heathrow. Bear in mind as well when that construction is completed it will be an easy intersection to get through. Hope I gave you some good information and do let us know if we can help out more. Good luck!

** Just checked and Terracina is under "school choice" for half the district, which means "A-rated" Wilson Elementary (the school closest to Terracina/Lake Forest) is an option. The middle school assignment is Sanford Middle School which is also "A" rated and actually outperforms the Lake Mary/Heathrow schools.

Last edited by kyle19125; 08-03-2011 at 05:54 AM..

Old 08-03-2011, 10:36 AM

6 posts, read 17,047 times
Thank you all for your kind responses and details. Comparison btwn GO and FP,
particularly helpful, and Kyle's info re Terracina, as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando