Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2010, 07:31 PM

27 posts, read 73,134 times

Advertisements

I scrolled thru the posts and saw pics of Lake Mary! I have to admit I was surprised as when I think Of FL I think of palm trees and sand. Even though I now live in Eugene, OR I grew up in MD just outside of WA/DC. I guess it actually looks like the east coast with the brick buildings and that older look. Out here everything is wood and with all the rain, 8mos a year continously everything gets moldy and the wood rots. Love it! I hope I am not falling in love with my past. Just love the way it looks and hey, in the part of MD I lived we did not have mountains and rolling hills. Our 200+yr old house is now an historic landmark as is most of the old neighborhood. Now I have seen pics and it is all built up, crowded with people on top of each other. The old neighborhood remains the same with all the old homes still standing. Even the pics of FL remind of it. Must be just because it was built before the westcoast and is older and much more beautiful! Can't wait to move and am seriously looking at Lake Mary. You guys are great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 08:03 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,079,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chesgold View Post
I scrolled thru the posts and saw pics of Lake Mary! I have to admit I was surprised as when I think Of FL I think of palm trees and sand. Even though I now live in Eugene, OR I grew up in MD just outside of WA/DC. I guess it actually looks like the east coast with the brick buildings and that older look. Out here everything is wood and with all the rain, 8mos a year continously everything gets moldy and the wood rots. Love it! I hope I am not falling in love with my past. Just love the way it looks and hey, in the part of MD I lived we did not have mountains and rolling hills. Our 200+yr old house is now an historic landmark as is most of the old neighborhood. Now I have seen pics and it is all built up, crowded with people on top of each other. The old neighborhood remains the same with all the old homes still standing. Even the pics of FL remind of it. Must be just because it was built before the westcoast and is older and much more beautiful! Can't wait to move and am seriously looking at Lake Mary. You guys are great!
Lake Mary is great! It has some old buildings downtown, but most of Lake Mary is fairly new in the past 20 years. There are towns closeby that are more historic. Definately not dreary 8 mo out of the year. Plenty of sunshine.
Good luck if you move here. Any questions, please ask.

Old 08-28-2010, 05:27 AM

28 posts, read 117,286 times
I grew up in Maryland, too. Lake Mary is really pretty.

Old 08-28-2010, 08:00 AM

570 posts, read 1,154,229 times
The characteristics of any city with higher income is low crime, expensive but nice housing, higher property tax, great schools, majority whites with minimal blacks and hispanics.

The city, whether they'd like to admit it or not, will do everything in their power to keep it that way, or else look at what's happening to Sanford.

Old 08-28-2010, 06:38 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,249,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g0gat0rs View Post
The characteristics of any city with higher income is low crime, expensive but nice housing, higher property tax, great schools, majority whites with minimal blacks and hispanics.

The city, whether they'd like to admit it or not, will do everything in their power to keep it that way, or else look at what's happening to Sanford.

Is that the fault of the people living there? BTW. I've been in Sanford for two weeks now for work and will be here four more. Sanford is not a bad town. I've seen a few run down areas but it also looks like an older area. The area near the mall is nice with plenty of shops and restaurants. I believe it is French Dr, or something like that, that need some fixing up.

Old 08-28-2010, 07:06 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,079,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Is that the fault of the people living there? BTW. I've been in Sanford for two weeks now for work and will be here four more. Sanford is not a bad town. I've seen a few run down areas but it also looks like an older area. The area near the mall is nice with plenty of shops and restaurants. I believe it is French Dr, or something like that, that need some fixing up.
I agree. ok: Yeah it's just areas on the west side of French Ave (17/92) that aren't that desirable. Otherwise, they've really fixed Sanford up. I really like downtown Sanford, the riverwalk, and the activies they hold there. I like the historic homes on the east side of 17/92. They've been renovating alot of them. It's also nice over by the mall. All in all, I like Samford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando