Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 08:41 PM

63 posts, read 184,373 times

Advertisements

It's been over 15 years since I vacationed in the Orlando area and remember staying at hotels with my family on International Drive. That area was starting to get crowded, crime ridden and unsafe in general the last time I was there. I am about to embark on another vacation and am finding some really nice hotels on/near International Drive that are economical, but I wanted to know has the area gotten better, worse or stayed the same? I'm a city person, grew up in the city and would never just "hang out" all over the street in the middle of the night anywhere (lol), however I will be with my mother, husband, and 1 year old infant and we may be coming back to the hotel late at night (coming from Disney).

What is your opinion of staying on/near International Drive and would you stay at say a Hilton on or near this major street with your family? Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 09:05 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,509,869 times
For me, it would depend on what side of I-Drive. One end (south of Sand Lake Road, towards the convention center) is decidedly nicer and doesn't seem to attract the seediness of the other end (towards Wet N'Wild and the outlet mall). Also, I would look for hotels in which someone has to enter the lobby as opposed to being able to climb up stairs from the parking lot to enter the room. It also may depend on the hotel- I would feel totally safe staying at the Peabody, for instance.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:31 PM

36 posts, read 67,927 times
I've stayed at International Palms "Resort" (across from Magical Midway, kinda) and at Econo Lodge south of Sand Lake, I felt safe at both of those places. You needed a key to go up the elevator at International Palms. At Econo Lodge the rooms had outside access. I guess I prefer the outside access places so I can come and go without having to wait on an elevator or whatever.

Old 07-06-2011, 11:18 PM

1,284 posts, read 3,896,512 times
I have probably stayed in 2/3 of the hotels on International Drive in the last 20 years,many of them multiple times,never had a problem but I would agree that south of Sand lake rd towards the convention center is better than the north end.If you want to know about the new Hilton that opened up next to the convention center I stayed there last January and I can't see how there would be any problems in that area,if I remember that hotel had a guarded parking garage,totally safe!!

Old 07-07-2011, 05:51 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
You'll be much safer south of sand Lake and in a hotel with interior corridors over a motel. In fact I've never heard of a room invasion at a hotel, but there have been plenty of them at the motels.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:20 PM

81 posts, read 154,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
You'll be much safer south of sand Lake and in a hotel with interior corridors over a motel. In fact I've never heard of a room invasion at a hotel, but there have been plenty of them at the motels.

i'm staying at the Hilton Grand Vacations Suites across from seaworld Orlando, and the adv. says "entrance from exterior corridors". But they do have 24 hr. security, does that sound like a good place? i already booked it so.... i hope so.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:43 PM

1,284 posts, read 3,896,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyygal View Post
i'm staying at the Hilton Grand Vacations Suites across from seaworld Orlando, and the adv. says "entrance from exterior corridors". But they do have 24 hr. security, does that sound like a good place? i already booked it so.... i hope so.
You're good!!I don't think any part of International Drive is that bad,but the worst area is north of Sand Lake rd,south of Sand Lake towards the convention center to Sea World and all the way to 536 is good with the areas between Sea World and 536 less built up.

Old 07-08-2011, 05:36 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyygal View Post
It's a very safe location. You'll be fine.

Old 07-08-2011, 04:05 PM

81 posts, read 154,032 times
thanks all!

Old 07-10-2011, 12:44 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,012,754 times
The only problem I ever had at a hotel was when I stayed at Motel 6 on American. I booked a NON-SMOKING room, the lady hands me my key, I take the elevator up, smell smoke protruding from the room, slide my key in, open the door, and walk in on about 15 guys going through a drug deal. The humor kicked in when I told the lady at the counter and she tells me, "They're not supposed to be here... Can you go kick them out?" She was serious.

Outside of that, I've never had a problem with the (cheap) Orlando hotels. Even the real seedy ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: