Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2007, 08:38 AM

73 posts, read 322,397 times

Advertisements

Thinkin about moving to Winterpark How is it there crime wise i have a lil 4 year old daughter how are the schools and stuff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2007, 10:19 PM

307 posts, read 2,106,383 times
i'm originally from katonah (westchester county)new york ! Winter Park is an overall wonderful area to live, work, and visit! Central Florida is very diverse around the Orlando area. feel free to PM me anytime, and i'll be happy to email you links of information about it!

Old 07-25-2007, 03:10 AM

170 posts, read 753,312 times
winter park=overrated

maitland, lake mary, altamonte, oviedo are all better

Old 07-25-2007, 07:07 AM

35 posts, read 313,939 times
Winter Park is a very affluent part of town and has a generally lower rate of crime.

Moderator cut: link removed

Last edited by Yac; 12-04-2007 at 03:20 AM..

Old 07-25-2007, 01:11 PM

170 posts, read 753,312 times
those stats are froma few years ago, everyone i know seems to rant and rave about how great winter park is, personally i cant understand it. Take a drive along lee road or 17 92 and fairbanks, and u will see drug addicts, prostitutes and homeless all over, winter park village is very nice but when u step outside that it is fairly rough.
And a couple of weeks ago a crack addict shot someone for a lottery ticket.

Police: Man Found Dead Recently Won Lotto - Local News Story - WKMG Orlando (http://www.local6.com/news/13653429/detail.html - broken link)

maybe there are areas that are good of winter park but ive only seen bad areas and i dont think it is as good as the areas ive mentioned

Old 07-25-2007, 04:05 PM

1,418 posts, read 10,188,973 times
Quote:
Take a drive along lee road or 17 92 and fairbanks, and u will see drug addicts, prostitutes and homeless all over,
I do it three days/week. This statement is quite an exageration! I have never seen one drug addict on the streets mentioned. I have seen an occasional prostitute (like two in the last 7 years) right around the men's club formerly known as the "Boobie Trap", or at least I suspect that she may have been a prostitute. I haven't seen any homeless on Lee road, but have seen where one or two homeless occasionally camp out way up under the I-4 overpass on Fairbanks; but I've also seen the cops harass the guy and noticed him gone a few days later.

There are some beautiful places in Winter Park around Park Avenue, Interlochen and along the lakes. It's not like you're going to find these places either unless you are quite familiar with Winter Park - trust me on that; there are a number of $6,000,000+ homes that are quite secluded. Winter Park is only over-rated if you don't know Winter Park.

Old 07-26-2007, 01:59 PM

33 posts, read 182,624 times
[quote=maybe there are areas that are good of winter park but ive only seen bad areas and i dont think it is as good as the areas ive mentioned[/QUOTE]

I have no idea what this guy is talking about. I grew up in Maitland and spent a lot of time in Winter Park. I have never seen a prostitute in Winter Park (maybe there are expensive call girls - Winter Park is a classy place). I don't think I've ever seen a homeless person there either. If you consider 17-92, Lee Road, and Fairbanks to be Winter Park, then yea, it looks crappy because that's not the historical heart of the city (which is the downtown area centered around Park Avenue). Those areas are typical LA-inspired suburban sprawl.
I'm also shocked this person called the Winter Park Village "very nice." Please, that place is alright, but it doesn't hold a candle to what it's supposed to imitate (the outdoor shopping centers of LA).
I don't think this person has ever shopped on Park Avenue, taken the Scenic Boat Tour, driven through the Vias, driven down the innumerable historic brick streets, or strolled the Rollins College Campus. The best parts of Winter Park are a bit secluded from the rest of the city.
I think it's hilarious to think of Winter Park as "rough." People rave about it because it has low crime, it's one of the prettiest towns in the US (and I have been all up and down both the East and West Coasts multiple times), the local schools are some of the best in the region (although they can't hold a candle to say, the Westchester, New York schools), and there's an actual historic downtown.
Also, home values appreciate faster in Winter Park than in those other areas that one poster mentioned. All those amenities don't come cheap (you need to earn a good income to pay the mortgage; it is possible to find houses/apartments for cheaper on the up-and-coming West Side (between 17-92 and the railroad tracks)). If you're looking for a waterfront house, expect to add somewhere in the six figures onto the price of the house. The zip code to buy in is 32789 if I remember correctly (that's the older part of the city).
Check it out for yourself here: Welcome to the City of Winter Park (http://www.ci.winter-park.fl.us/2005/ - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando