Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 09:18 AM

31 posts, read 104,954 times

Advertisements

Can You Give Me An Idea Of How Much Private School Cost A Year
Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2007, 04:46 PM

3 posts, read 7,356 times
I think for the most part people ask "where are you from" not "what country you're from and that's probably the reason they say P.R. I think if I ask a New Yorker where is he from, he would very proudly say New york. But I see your point because Puertoricans are very proud of their heritage and background. You know what I've noticed? I've noticed that the puertoricans who act up and hang around with the flags and going crazy are the ones who never lived in Puerto Rico. These type of puertoricans were raised in the U.S. but are nothing like the ones who were born and raised in the island. If you take a 20 year old puertorican from the U.S. and a 20 year old puertorican from P.R. you would notice the difference right away. There is no comparison.

Old 09-04-2007, 05:51 AM

1,352 posts, read 6,273,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiropractic View Post
I think for the most part people ask "where are you from" not "what country you're from and that's probably the reason they say P.R. I think if I ask a New Yorker where is he from, he would very proudly say New york. But I see your point because Puertoricans are very proud of their heritage and background. You know what I've noticed? I've noticed that the puertoricans who act up and hang around with the flags and going crazy are the ones who never lived in Puerto Rico. These type of puertoricans were raised in the U.S. but are nothing like the ones who were born and raised in the island. If you take a 20 year old puertorican from the U.S. and a 20 year old puertorican from P.R. you would notice the difference right away. There is no comparison.

That's true because I actually met a couple of Puerto Ricans from the actual country of PR while I was delivering pizza out here.....They seem more humble....Well i don't know if it is being humble or something else but that is what i felt from those people that said they were straight from Puerto Rico and had just moved here......I guess american culture has alot to do with the "attitude" of some Puerto Ricans that have lived here all thier lives on top of them trying to prove so much to thier own people that they "are" Puerto Rican so they feel accepted. I guess that is what makes them go so far and put flags everywhere and dress with PR headbands and clothing ........and in Orlando i think all the stickers and flags of PR are just a "being homesick" type of thing and maybe also a "shock value" thing since they think no one here is used to thier culture being here in our area.......It's like they need to force thier culture into our minds so that we as outsiders "know" they are there and they are like nothing we have ever seen......well at least that is the attitude i get here in Orlando even though im the type of guy that hardly ever gets fazed by anything......I think maybe they do all this and have "the attitude" that people are talking about just to get attention from everyone ......kinda like when kids want attention or celebrities gone bad try to do things for attention

I am Italian American and i know alot of Italians are proud to be Italian too....like Puerto RIcans but personally i don't really feel the same pride about my origin like everyone else because I had no choice in the matter of what race i ended up becoming when i was born..........Its not like i worked har dto become this race so i could have earned the pride of being it........i just dont understand why people get so pridefull over things they had no control over and things they didnt build or create

Old 09-04-2007, 01:53 PM

442 posts, read 2,913,034 times
[quote=chiropractic;1417874]I think for the most part people ask "where are you from" not "what country you're from and that's probably the reason they say P.R. I think if I ask a New Yorker where is he from, he would very proudly say New york. But I see your point because Puertoricans are very proud of their heritage and background. You know what I've noticed? I've noticed that the puertoricans who act up and hang around with the flags and going crazy are the ones who never lived in Puerto Rico. These type of puertoricans were raised in the U.S. but are nothing like the ones who were born and raised in the island. If you take a 20 year old puertorican from the U.S. and a 20 year old puertorican from P.R. you would notice the difference right away. There is no comparison.[/QUOTE

THAT IS ALL I AM [email]SAYING@...I can tell a person From The Island and from New York.. its all in the TUDE!...and we all know New Yorkers can Cop some TUDES!

Old 09-04-2007, 01:59 PM

3 posts, read 7,356 times
Ha! I agree..[quote=AJ67;1424102]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiropractic View Post
I think for the most part people ask "where are you from" not "what country you're from and that's probably the reason they say P.R. I think if I ask a New Yorker where is he from, he would very proudly say New york. But I see your point because Puertoricans are very proud of their heritage and background. You know what I've noticed? I've noticed that the puertoricans who act up and hang around with the flags and going crazy are the ones who never lived in Puerto Rico. These type of puertoricans were raised in the U.S. but are nothing like the ones who were born and raised in the island. If you take a 20 year old puertorican from the U.S. and a 20 year old puertorican from P.R. you would notice the difference right away. There is no comparison.[/QUOTE

THAT IS ALL I AM [email]SAYING@...I can tell a person From The Island and from New York.. its all in the TUDE!...and we all know New Yorkers can Cop some TUDES!

Old 11-06-2007, 08:51 PM

1 posts, read 2,582 times
Default Thank God That I moved out of Florida

I haved lived in Poinciana for 7 years and thank God, I sold my house and moved back to my real Home, PUERTO RICO. I have nothing against nobody, I was born and raised in P.R. and lived in the states for 9 years. I have made good friends here, in fact one of my best buddies was a redneck from the sticks of Clermont and is coming over for Christmas to visit. Even though I am a Puerto Rican from the Island, I have to agree that the Puerto Ricans that are born and raised in the states are completely different from us here in the Island. Poinciana WAS a good place to live untill the last 2 or 3 years. I use to live in the best place in Poinciana and during the beggining of this year, you could hear gunshots fired numerous times during the week, police helicopters flying around at any time, and grafitty painted all over the front of the houses, but what really messed things up was the break-ins and burglaries that were going on recently. I was affraid of going outside with my kids for a bike ride. The traffic in the morning got extremely bad and from 3:30P.M. on. And no, I am not exagerating. My kids were in a private school, because public schools are a joke over there (over here too) I will not move back to Florida even if they paid me triple of what I'm making here. I'm living in PEACE and most important, IN MY OWN HOME

Old 11-07-2007, 03:28 AM

442 posts, read 2,913,034 times
I hear from The islanders that The Crime In PR is bad too, i guess it is in certain parts.. But ,My next Door Neighbors are from the island and you could'nt ask for better neigbbors .. there are some that Irritate me to no end and of course they are the ones that never ever lived in PR..But there are also Americans that Irritate me ....its all about the TUDE!!...
Love thy neighbor!

Old 11-07-2007, 04:11 AM

1,352 posts, read 6,273,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ67 View Post
I hear from The islanders that The Crime In PR is bad too, i guess it is in certain parts.. But ,My next Door Neighbors are from the island and you could'nt ask for better neigbbors .. there are some that Irritate me to no end and of course they are the ones that never ever lived in PR..But there are also Americans that Irritate me ....its all about the TUDE!!...
Love thy neighbor!
That's what im talkin bout....you are 100 % right on this one!!!!

Old 12-17-2007, 01:45 AM

1 posts, read 2,524 times
So puerto ricans blare their music loudly and hang PR flags in their cars? at least their not killing you off for your land, forcing you to change your name and religion and work for them as slaves, not to mention giving you disease-infested blankets as ''gifts'' to kill you...all things european settlers did to the native americans when they first came to america...but my how we seem to forget that huh? they never respected the culture of the people here and learned to speak the language of the natives of this country...HOW DARE YOU ASK IMMIGRANTS NOW TO DO SO? they came here and brought their cultures with them, matter of fact forcing their cultures onto this land by naming the places they settled new york, new jersey, maryland, etc.... you people make me sick to my stomach....ignorant racists!!!

Old 12-17-2007, 05:37 AM

800 posts, read 3,088,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THASPECIAL View Post
Question........Puerto Ricans are citizens of the United States right?.......Then why is it when you ask 99% of them what country they are from....that they will say Puerto Rico?

Puerto Rico is a Country. It's an uniccorporated US territory. It has it's own self-government for managing the Country but does comply with parts of the US Constitution and US Laws. The currency, defense, foreign relations, mail and mining activities are run by the US Government. Those born in PR are also US Citizens. Nothing unusual about that response.

And, it's a beautiful country at that! Lovely beaches, rain forest, lots shopping, good food, etc. I enjoy vacationing in Vieques very much. And I don't speak Spanish!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando