Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 01:25 PM

573 posts, read 1,457,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seashelly View Post
I don't know how big 'commercial' is suppose to mean but we have a busy airport here in North Bend - SouthWest Oregon Regional Airport - and it's pretty good size and growing.
So sorry to disagree but that is a very small airport and is only busy cuz of Bandon Dunes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2008, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperial1904 View Post
I heard they make an ice rink in the Empire area during winter. It's on school property.
LOL---I do not think so. I lived in the area over 25 years and it does not freeze---------rarely gets snow---------and rarely gets below 32.

Old 03-15-2008, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klove1228 View Post
I recently moved away from Coos Bay and would just like to add something here. Just remember that living in Coos Bay is entirely different than visiting. All the outdoor stuff is nice when the weather is nice. But I'd honestly say that about 80% of the year it is either raining or too windy or foggy or cold to enjoy the Coast. If I had the choice I would have got a job in Eugene and visited Coos Bay or Florence or Newport during the nice weekends.
Coos Bay is more of a retirement community than a booming economy.
You are right on!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-15-2008, 06:13 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,873,637 times
We all like different places. I moved to the bay area because i liked the area. We are just about retirement aged people. I love the views of the ocean and the bay. They have gained some population here but it's not a boom town. Thank Goodness! It's crowded enough during tourist season.

Old 03-15-2008, 09:18 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,071,788 times
ya, truth, if you want a hard partying wild lifestyle, you might find Coos Bay pretty boring. We dont have the clubs that are pumping bass out til 3am that you can hear a mile away. Theres no amusement park here, not a block of strip clubs each offering their own...."specials".....So if youre looking for that, you wont be happy in Coos Bay.
On the other hand, if family and friends time means more to you than how many different people you can dance with before 2am bar shutout, if you like going to old shipwrecks the ocean has uncovered, and block festivals that you know 2/3rds of the people at as you mingle in local fare booths, then Coos Bay might be up your alley.
Im in my early 30s, i have kids ranging from 6-13 and we are so happy here in Coos Bay. We've found people to be friendly and open. Plenty of good weather, and more than enough to do. Its got enough people to have a good variety, but small enough you find yourself waving at people you know as you drive down the street.
Like any place, its entirely up to each individual on how you percive it. For me, 10min. of a mist in the morning that blows off by 9am doesnt count as a day of rain. Lack of thumping clubs doesnt mean its boring here. I think you should come and visit and make up your own mind. Dont let somebody that for their own personal reasons hates it here, and can only see exaggerated negatives make you decisions for you.
Come....if you like it, stay, if you dont, theres a whole world to explore.
Tiffany

Old 03-16-2008, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffela74 View Post
ya, truth, if you want a hard partying wild lifestyle, you might find Coos Bay pretty boring. We dont have the clubs that are pumping bass out til 3am that you can hear a mile away. Theres no amusement park here, not a block of strip clubs each offering their own...."specials".....So if youre looking for that, you wont be happy in Coos Bay.
On the other hand, if family and friends time means more to you than how many different people you can dance with before 2am bar shutout, if you like going to old shipwrecks the ocean has uncovered, and block festivals that you know 2/3rds of the people at as you mingle in local fare booths, then Coos Bay might be up your alley.
Im in my early 30s, i have kids ranging from 6-13 and we are so happy here in Coos Bay. We've found people to be friendly and open. Plenty of good weather, and more than enough to do. Its got enough people to have a good variety, but small enough you find yourself waving at people you know as you drive down the street.
Like any place, its entirely up to each individual on how you percive it. For me, 10min. of a mist in the morning that blows off by 9am doesnt count as a day of rain. Lack of thumping clubs doesnt mean its boring here. I think you should come and visit and make up your own mind. Dont let somebody that for their own personal reasons hates it here, and can only see exaggerated negatives make you decisions for you.
Come....if you like it, stay, if you dont, theres a whole world to explore.
Tiffany
I do not think their is alot of exaggerated negatives here---------one should always know the down points as well as the good points. The facts are also important and those also can be found in city data. I definately agree that you should visit and not just once. I must say that going to festivals and knowing 2/3rds of the people there is rather an exaggeration but I will say I am very glad you are happy there and willing to defend the area. That makes a very good citizen and a very good neightbor.

Old 03-16-2008, 04:24 PM

I agree that Coos Bay has its negatives. Theres NOT jobs here for everyone and every walk of life, ....we dont have as many sunny cloudless days as ..oh...per say, Mesa Arizona,.....we dont have the huge mall that you could spend all day in (although, according to my husband, and a few other posters spouses, thats a PLUS!!!
I just think that sometimes, people dont mesh well with a certain area and tend to only see the worst, and want to warn people away....much like an ex-spouse!!! I know darn well my views, thoughts, opinions and comments on my ex are quite polar opposite from what his current GF says! lol
So i guess we should just agree to disagree. thank you for your kind last line, and I am happy youve found your own happiness in your new state.
Tiffany
ps....theres a good chance we'll bump heads (or opinions) on other threads, please dont take it personally when i fire back in defense of Coos Bay, or Oregon. And I'll respect your views as well.

Old 03-18-2008, 11:35 AM

Hey MikeMorrow...i see from various posts youre headed this way......when are you planning on moving here? Are you so excited? Please do let us know what you think of it all as you get here and poke around.....
Best of luck to you!
Tiffany

Old 03-23-2008, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffela74 View Post
I agree that Coos Bay has its negatives. Theres NOT jobs here for everyone and every walk of life, ....we dont have as many sunny cloudless days as ..oh...per say, Mesa Arizona,.....we dont have the huge mall that you could spend all day in (although, according to my husband, and a few other posters spouses, thats a PLUS!!!
I just think that sometimes, people dont mesh well with a certain area and tend to only see the worst, and want to warn people away....much like an ex-spouse!!! I know darn well my views, thoughts, opinions and comments on my ex are quite polar opposite from what his current GF says! lol
So i guess we should just agree to disagree. thank you for your kind last line, and I am happy youve found your own happiness in your new state.
Tiffany
ps....theres a good chance we'll bump heads (or opinions) on other threads, please dont take it personally when i fire back in defense of Coos Bay, or Oregon. And I'll respect your views as well.
LOL--no problem--everyone is intitled to their opinion and I respect that as I can see you do also. I just hate rude, nasty people who can not discuss things. You are not rude or nasty. I live in Washington now and I could talk for hours about what is wrong here. If I had a choice, I would live in Oregon any day. Their are just some places I prefer in Oregon.

Old 05-08-2010, 12:32 AM

6 posts, read 19,699 times
I would love to live in Coos bay, or any beach area down there. I live in a HOLE right now - Everett Wash. If you are thinking of moving there, DONT!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon