Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2008, 05:52 PM

2 posts, read 5,417 times

Advertisements

I live in Coos Bay and love it dearly. No complaints except for lack of work and the small amount of medical care per capita of senior people in this area [no heart facilities or cancer centers]. I am thinking of placing my 90 year old father into an assisted living apartment in a facility in the North Bend/Coos Bay Oregon area. I was wondering if anyone who lives in this area had heard any bad reports on any of these facilities. Any information would be greatly appricated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 10:59 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,051,201 times
Hi. I live here too, and also love it. Great place to live...
hey, i dont know anyone personally, but had a few thoughts for you...
in checking them out, why dont you spend a few hours in each, spend the time talking to various folks who actually live there, and what they think/feel. Take a good look around, see if the staff seems hurried or aggrivated...if you see friendly one on one, and people seem to be well cared for or not. Talk to as broad range of staff that you can, and if anyone has family visiting them, talk to that family and see what they think.
anyhow, maybe youve already done all this, but i just wanted to throw it out, might be helpful?
oh, and stop in unexpectedly too, dont want people going all fake and puttin on a show...also would be helpful to see what kind of security they have that way.
I hope you find somewhere that he'll be very happy at! Let us know!
Tiffany

Old 09-24-2008, 10:02 AM

2 posts, read 5,417 times
Thanks so much for taking the time to respond Tiffela74. You are right, and that is a good idea. I should have thought of that myself. I am going over to one place today with my father and will spend some extra time just hanging around and possibly find some nice people to talk with. Thanks again, CoosBayBee

Old 09-24-2008, 11:34 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,051,201 times
Anytime. I hope all went well today...
I asked someone who's been around a few here and there if there were any facilities she would feel comfortable taking her family member to, and she said Ocean Crest. So, theres that.
Hope all went well!!!
Tiffany

Old 09-25-2008, 10:24 AM

1,082 posts, read 4,719,365 times
Generally nursing homes are state regulated and you can contact the state board of nursing for complaint history. They will all have some, but it might help you look for trends. Also, ask to see a copy of the contact before you sit down with them. There will be some important stuff in there and you can make a list of questions by reading it.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:48 AM

1 posts, read 2,014 times
Default Coos Bay Assited Living

Be sure to check on staffing if you decide to place your father - two communities operated by the same company staff very skimpy. Work their employees very hard. There are a lot of small group homes that provided a more home like setting and staff better.

Old 02-24-2010, 04:05 PM

480 posts, read 2,467,111 times
Contact the State Long Term Care Ombudsman in Salem. They were established to represent the resident's interests and can provide you with reports done by the licensing agencies on local places that you may be thinking about. Do also consider what are called Adult Foster Care homes - some of them are quite excellent (and some are not, so do your homework).

State of Oregon: Long-Term Care Ombudsman (http://www.oregon.gov/LTCO/index.shtml - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon