Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 11:54 AM
VAL VAL started this thread

4 posts, read 22,884 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We are planning to move to Brookings. We have 4 kids that we currently homeschool but may put in school when we move. I'm wondering if there are homeschoolers in the area. Also interested in public schools, though from reading other threads, it seems Oregon schools aren't so great. I'm concerned about the tsunami situation and would appreciate any info about the threat for the coast. I read that Brookings is high enough to not be effected. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2006, 04:04 AM

43 posts, read 346,346 times
Brookings is pretty safe from tsunamis because it's in such a cove, and has a higher level above sea level than many coastal towns. You should be safe there. There are homeschooling options. The public school system could be better...but pulling your kids out of it doesn't help make it better, and could limit their experiences and ultimately may become a disservice to their social and emotional wellbeing.

Old 06-03-2006, 07:02 PM

363 posts, read 2,020,387 times
Putting your kids IN school can be a disservice to their well being... We are presently in Texas. I have very little knowledge about Oregon, but my (homeschooled) childrens' horsebackriding instructer here in the Lone Star State was born and raised there. (She was also lucky enough to be homeschooled her whole life.) I will ask her if she is familiar about that area and get back to you next week. Good Luck with your move.

Old 06-08-2006, 04:06 PM

Thanks for your reply referring to the tsunamis. I really appreciate your taking the time.

Old 06-08-2006, 04:08 PM

Hey thanks! I look forward to hearing from you.

Old 06-10-2006, 12:52 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,471,097 times
Tsunamis? Never had one...occassionally people here get hit by meteorites or die in rogue dust storms that well up from Arizona, though.

67% of the students in the Brookings public school system are on free lunch, i.e., they live below the poverty level. That speaks volumes about who lives here. Brookings has the worst COLA index in the state of Oregon -- the cost of housing is sky-high and wages are extremely low. Since most people that live here are retirees from California, working in the local economy is not an obstacle. Lately, the issue of finding "work force housing" has become a big issue. Also be aware that many people who come here suffer from the lack of a conventional summer. The Oregon Coast is a dark chilly place and it is not unusual for the high temperature in July and August to be under 55F.

Brookings is in a very beautiful area and for mature folks who want a refuge from the rat race and prefer to mostly stay at home for entertainment, this could be it (as long as warmth and sunshine are not requirements). But if looking for a good place to raise kids, Brookings would probably be in the bottom 5% of places in Oregon. Cities like Corvallis, Ashland, Bend, etc. are very child-friendly, but don't move to a retirement town if you want happy well-educated kids. It's also a VERY tough place to make a living if you're not retired -- few jobs, low pay, lousy benefits, if any.

Old 06-12-2006, 10:06 AM

Thanks, it sounds like I should scrap the Brookings idea and leave it to the mature folks. Anyone know of a seaside town that isn't opposed to the idea of, should I say it?...(gasp) children?

Old 06-13-2006, 06:30 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,863,094 times
Default Coast is not that good

Growing up in Oregon, we had a term for kids from the coastal areas: "coasties". That term existed for a reason. For the most part, these are economically depressed areas with relatively high levels of alcoholism and meth abuse. I'm being a little harsh but go see for yourself if you don't believe me. Unless you have a lot of money, then you can afford to get a house in a nice area.

Oh and it rains about 300 days a year there. . .

Old 06-14-2006, 02:09 AM

43 posts, read 346,346 times
Oh, please Brookings isn't that bad! Don't scrap an idea because someone told you something on a forum. Check it out for yourself!

It's gorgeous, and a nice place to raise kids.

http://myspace-594.vo.llnwd.net/00008/49/56/8736594_l.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by Eugguy; 06-14-2006 at 02:12 AM..

Old 07-05-2006, 11:22 PM

4 posts, read 31,964 times
The Oregon coast is beautiful. Not too much can compare to it as far as looks go.

I've talked myself into moving to Brookings numerous times, and then turned around and talked myself right out of it. Why? Just not warm enough for me. September is the best time to visit the Oregon coast. I can't tell you how many times we went there in the summer, to be miserable from the cold, wind, and wet, wet rain. Even in the summer...

So, I decided, it's a nice place to visit, but wouldn't want to live there. But, that top picture you have there, sure makes one re-think what they had already finished thinking about)

Gorgeous, absolutely beautiful little town. As are several of the Oregon coast towns. Astoria is hard to beat in the beauty department also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon