Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2006, 11:56 AM

4,250 posts, read 10,461,831 times

Advertisements

I am considering Brookings to relocate to (I currently live in Scottsdale, AZ). I cannot get used to the lack of water here and there's nothing to do.

I have worked in business and am trying to transition into social services. I have an MBA and am bilingual (Spanish). I am in my mid 40s, single, no kids, so are there any people to meet there in my situation? I really don't want to go somewhere where it's only established families.

Anyway, any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2006, 01:35 PM

331 posts, read 1,852,626 times
Brookings would be great for you if you don't mind dating someone in their late 60's or early 70's. If you could transition into Geriatrics, you should be able to find work there. There is just not enough going on there to keep you happy for any length of time. I have pictures of Brookings downtown and some ocean pictures and homes in the area if you care to take a look.

Steve, a poster here on the forum lives in Brookings and seems very happy. I think he is a retired teacher.

If you use the search button at the top and type in Brookings you sould get lots of information including posts from Steve.

Dan

Old 10-20-2006, 05:52 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,461,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clear2land View Post
Brookings would be great for you if you don't mind dating someone in their late 60's or early 70's. If you could transition into Geriatrics, you should be able to find work there. There is just not enough going on there to keep you happy for any length of time. I have pictures of Brookings downtown and some ocean pictures and homes in the area if you care to take a look.

Steve, a poster here on the forum lives in Brookings and seems very happy. I think he is a retired teacher.

If you use the search button at the top and type in Brookings you sould get lots of information including posts from Steve.

Dan
LOL, thanks. I'm afraid I have no choice but to transition into geriatrics, as I'm not getting any younger. I really prefer to date someone closer in age, although the 54 year old guy I found here was an absolute NIGHTMARE -- worst one EVER.

Maybe I'd better reconsider Brookings, even though it's probably quite lovely there.

Old 10-20-2006, 07:37 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,687,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
LOL, thanks. I'm afraid I have no choice but to transition into geriatrics, as I'm not getting any younger. I really prefer to date someone closer in age, although the 54 year old guy I found here was an absolute NIGHTMARE -- worst one EVER.

Maybe I'd better reconsider Brookings, even though it's probably quite lovely there.
HI again, figured I would come help you out over here! Brookings is beautiful but he is right Alot of retired people, you like the beach than have you ever considered Astoria, amazing town, where they filmed Goonies and Kindergarden cop, good mix there and amazing views and coastline. I love it there, it does rain alot and is cooler but the summers cant be beat. Everyone is freindly there I honestly dont know why people dont talk about it more,although they are probaly trying to keep the secret!

Old 10-21-2006, 10:07 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,242,819 times
Re: Astoria -- LOL, I actually stopped and took pictures of The Goonies House, yes, on that steep hill. I'll mention something different about Astoria -- the Roundabout. Also, while I'm thinking about it, isn't it cool the way the people living up there along the North Coast set out cut flowers for sale daily along Highway 101 and leave a jar for the purchaser to pay through the honor system? That's awesome.

Old 10-23-2006, 12:15 AM

1,312 posts, read 6,476,533 times
I wouldn't consider it. Way too many layers of culture shock. Consider:

Hot summer climate > cold summer climate
Sunny winter days > overcast winter days
dry > humid
young and vibrant social scene > most residents over 70
urbane > backwater
arts and culture > plywood mill and salmon fishing derbies
professional opportunities > minimum-wage blue collar jobs
culturally diverse > just white folks born before WWII
an area where bilingualism is a valuable career asset > ¡unas de las pocas regiones en el oeste de los estados unidos donde no hay NADIE que habla español!

Someplace like Eugene or Portland would be a better place to make the climatic adjustment. I moved from Phoenix to Corvallis and it took many years to adjust to the difference in light intensity. Fortunately, that was a city where the quality of life could see you through the crummy winters.

Old 10-23-2006, 01:31 AM

8 posts, read 81,042 times
I grew up in Brookings. The job market is based around three types of jobs:

1. Forestry; either working at the mill or working for the National Forest Service
2. Fishing.
3. Services such as retail and resturants.

The beauty is truly unbelievable there and it's winters are mild and summers are cool and sometimes foggy. Brookings climate is known as the Banana Belt and temperatures in the 90's to 100's are not uncommon when the right conditions hit, but they are usually short lived and occor only a couple times a year and for only a few days. The mild weather and beauty has attracted an enormous amount of retired folk in the last 10 years or so. With a metro population of around 10,000, the night life is non-existant, so a passionate love for the outdoors is a must.

Old 07-12-2015, 06:36 PM

23 posts, read 26,089 times
There are jobs in Brookings .

Old 07-12-2015, 06:42 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,476,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor6809 View Post
There are jobs in Brookings .
You know what they say...having a job isn't the same as having a career. If it's a fulfilling career you want, I would think very carefully before moving to Brookings. Your job might move away from you.

Old 07-14-2015, 08:23 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,272,560 times
This is a 9 year old thread, I wonder what she decided?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon