Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2012, 05:23 PM

318 posts, read 516,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
Speaking of Granite, Oregon - the mysterious Grandpa Boulder. ....[post #190] ... I haven’t been able to find out why it is there. Normally, only hikers and bicyclists might spot it. Is is a monument to all of the grandpas who have been lost forever in the woods?
With only my discernment to go on, it seems that a family's beloved Grandpa truly loved the place, so much so that he desired to have his ashes scattered there. Subsequently, arrangements were made to have Grandpa carved into stone, that generations to come could know the place loved so by an ancestor.

Lovely photographs of the ghost town areas, Rick/hamellr. You've quite the eye & heart for it, thanks. Will make a contribution of a few of my photos as well...

The above shot is from the Oregon side looking to Memaloose Island & Washington state, captured at the I-84W rest area near
Memaloose State Park around mile markers 71-72. It once was a major burial ground for the area native Indians, the word Memaloose
taken from the Chinook word "Memalust" that translates "to die". It was 4 acres or so, many native grave houses with seated
deceased members wrapped in blankets or skins & buried there until the Bonneville Dam flooded all but about half an acre of the
Island. The graves were all first relocated except for one pioneer by the name of Victor Trevitt, a printer by trade & a member of
Oregon's first legislature. He served as a senator from 1866 to 1874 & was burried according to his wishes on the island,
saying, "In the resurrection I'll take my chances with the Indians." Yea, verily.

New Years Day 2012 from between Carl Washburne State Park & Heceta Head lighthouse. Lovely place to begin a year. :-)

Last edited by SandHills; 07-30-2012 at 06:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 10:20 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,440,203 times
This is the Ghost town of Boyd Oregon.

Boyd is about 10 miles south of The Dalles on Highway 197.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:23 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,689,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
Crater Lake NASA Astronomy Picture of the Day: APOD: 2012 July 25 - Pink Aurora Over Crater Lake
Wow, that's spectacular! I was actually at Crater Lake that day. Too bad I didn't stay overnight. Would love to have seen that!

Old 07-31-2012, 04:39 PM

5,460 posts, read 8,180,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
Wow, that's spectacular! I was actually at Crater Lake that day. Too bad I didn't stay overnight. Would love to have seen that!
If you move your cursor over the picture so you can see the names of the celestial bodies you will notice that one of them says Meteor. If you look closely you can see a faint meteor trail.

Here is an earlier one where a meteor trail is obvious:

APOD: 2012 April 25 - Meteor Over Crater Lake

Old 08-29-2012, 01:51 PM

75 posts, read 160,267 times
Smile Thank you so much!

I just wanted to Thank you all for posting this beautiful photos. You are all very talented photographers and the pictures just spoke to me. I'm sitting here waiting for a call from the Dr. to see if I have cancer for the second time and I'm worried to death and sick to my stomach. I came here and your photos took me away and brought me peace.

Thank you so much.

K

Old 08-29-2012, 06:47 PM

318 posts, read 516,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katyia86 View Post

I just wanted to Thank you all for posting this beautiful photos. You are all very talented photographers and the pictures just spoke to me. I'm sitting here waiting for a call from the Dr. to see if I have cancer for the second time and I'm worried to death and sick to my stomach. I came here and your photos took me away and brought me peace.

Thank you so much.

K
.....Thank you so much, Katyia. Seems we have things in common besides admiring the Art of capturing interesting photographs. I have cancer myself & am, in fact, driving on my way to the Seattle VA hospital for surgery, catching up on email @ McDonalds in SE Washington state.

.....Interesting as well: a good friend of mine said that her daughter, a skilled & respected oncologist, recently said it's now days not a matter of if we will get cancer here in the United States of America. It's now a matter of when. Have many thoughts regarding this, though they are for another now.

.....You are in my thoughts, K. Blessings...

.....David

.................................................. Cancer is a word, not a sentence.

.................................................. .................................................. .. John Diamond

Last edited by SandHills; 08-29-2012 at 07:09 PM..

Old 08-30-2012, 11:23 AM

75 posts, read 160,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandHills View Post
.....Thank you so much, Katyia. Seems we have things in common besides admiring the Art of capturing interesting photographs. I have cancer myself & am, in fact, driving on my way to the Seattle VA hospital for surgery, catching up on email @ McDonalds in SE Washington state.

.....Interesting as well: a good friend of mine said that her daughter, a skilled & respected oncologist, recently said it's now days not a matter of if we will get cancer here in the United States of America. It's now a matter of when. Have many thoughts regarding this, though they are for another now.

.....You are in my thoughts, K. Blessings...

.....David

.................................................. Cancer is a word, not a sentence.

.................................................. .................................................. ..

John Diamond

David, Thank you for the kind message. So sorry to hear you have cancer. Not sure when you will get this but I pray your surgery went well and you will soon be on the road to recovery. Safe travels home and cheers to a quick and speedy recovery.

Thank you again,
Blessings

K

Old 10-13-2012, 09:29 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,376,749 times

IMG_2244 by kanhawk, on Flickr

Old 12-13-2012, 12:17 PM

8,514 posts, read 4,494,038 times
http://

Mount Hood, awash in lavender.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:23 AM

281 posts, read 713,146 times
Eugene

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon