Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 09:28 PM

47 posts, read 231,999 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! What a great resource for information. My DH has an opportunity at a new position outside of Yachats. We have three young children. What type of information can you give me on the area for families? Where is the closest hospital? Schools? Parks and Recreation? Any place you recomend looking for housing/living if not in Yachats at most 30 minutes away? Your opinons and info are appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2008, 09:59 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,045,187 times
well first off, congrads on the opportunity!! Yachats is IMO one of the most beautiful places on the entire west coast. Its my dream to retire there someday...I have 3 kids of my own, and I dont think Id want to move there til they are grown and out on their own.Theyre all so invoved in sports/kids theater/other clubs and such I dont think theyd be so happy w/o all that. People there seem quite friendly and involved in their community, but it seems to cater more to the retired crowd and vacationers...I could be wrong though, Ive never lived there personally.
I would think the housing prices would be higher there, but again, just an opinion...
Newport is only about 20miles away and could be an option. Theres more there, but certainly not fast paced wild life type of town. Unless you count the local deer/racoons/etc. as the wildlife.
Anyhow, its an uncomparably beautiful area...have you visited yet?

Old 03-16-2008, 10:37 PM

[Moderator Cut: Orphaned]

Tiffela- Thanks for the info! Newport could be a possibility if my dh would only need to commute 20 minutes or so. 30-45 would be acceptable! We live in the country now, and are used to driving to get where we need to be. Kids don't goto school in Yachats though do they?

Last edited by madicarus2000; 03-17-2008 at 12:06 AM.. Reason: Orphaned response to deleted comments.

Old 03-16-2008, 11:35 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,045,187 times
Anytime. Mapblast from Yachats to Newport, it'll give you the exact. But i do believe its about 20miles north. Its one lane running each way for the most of that drive, but I wouldnt think youd have too much traffic except during weekends/holidays, maybe in the summer?
Waldport is between the two, but its pretty small as well!
I have NO idea about schooling in Yachats...unless they have one of those itty bitty schools that have like 8 kids in each grade. I know they have a reality office there, cant think of the name of it....if you do some googling, you might find it and they could answer some of your questions a lot better than me!
best of luck to you!
Tiffany

Old 03-17-2008, 06:18 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,538,194 times
Yachats is one of my very favorite places. That area is so beautiful! From Seal Beach to Cape Perpetua is nothing but pure photo ops.

Schools in the area are small and OK. There are two seasons- wet & friggin wet. Nearest hospital is 45 minutes away in Newport. Housing is affordable (non ocean view, of course). I agree with one poster who wonders if it's a place to raise kids. Very little outdoor time due to wind, rain & cold.

Old 03-17-2008, 01:21 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,235,032 times
Now that I think of it.......I don't think Yachats even has kids. While in Yachats recently, we did meet a nice woman coming into Yachats "looking for her dog" or something who lived a couple miles inland of Hwy. 101 and she mentioned she did not have electricity (used a generator as power) and did not have running water either. For being that close to Yachats, I'd call that a survivalist lifestyle. Please visit that area first before moving with children. It's a beautiful ocean setting, has a summer-time farmer's market, zillions of vacation unit rentals but......a visit works for me. There are kid friendly towns within 30 miles you may want to check out -- Florence to the South and Newport to the North. Good luck with your decision.

Old 03-17-2008, 04:23 PM

Doing some more checking on the area I noticed that Yachats does have a community based preschool that had pictures of kids, so I know there are at least some there We would be coming from a farming community and live on acreage. We already have to drive 15 minutes to the nearest gas station, so even if there are few children in the town, I can't see that it would be that much of a transition for our kids. They have no neighbors where we are anyway. But, another larger town may be a better opportunity. I do appreciate your all your input! His work would be outside of Yachats, but that doesn't mean we have to live in that town.

Old 12-15-2008, 04:02 PM

1 posts, read 7,019 times
I live in Yachats myself with two kids. The nearest hospital I know of is Newport. The schools are in Waldport called Crestview heights Elemenatary , Waldport high. Sports useually is played in Newport thier games and they practice in Waldport. I lived both in Waldport and Yachats and love them both. Parks and recreation areas from the state are all long the hwy 101. Welcome! Personally I came from California about three months ago with my family. I love it here!

Old 12-15-2008, 04:51 PM
EZA

10 posts, read 33,184 times
I have heard that 101 between Yachats, Florence and Newport can be pretty dangerous in the winter time. Just be aware of it. I looked at a position in Florence, it is a very nice town, but a retirement town, not a lot of kids. Also when we were looking for places to rent, a lot did not like pets. You might want to keep that in mind.

Old 04-19-2009, 09:48 AM

4 posts, read 11,819 times
Question thinking about moving to newport, or, we live in rocklin, ca. with two small children, thinking about moving to newport,

[quote=beach lady76;6573110]I live in Yachats myself with two kids. The nearest hospital I know of is Newport. The schools are in Waldport called Crestview heights Elemenatary , Waldport high. Sports useually is played in Newport thier games and they practice in Waldport. I lived both in Waldport and Yachats and love them both. Parks and recreation areas from the state are all long the hwy 101. Welcome! Personally I came from California about th

Hi, i have two small children and live in rocklin, ca. and are thinking about moving to newport, or for a slower paced life, any input? do you think this is a good move? We just came back from that area on vacation and the people are sooo nice.. We just loved it in newport
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon