Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 06:50 PM

840 posts, read 6,515,801 times

Advertisements

What gas stations are you guys going to that apparently doesn't have some kind of shelter from the rain?

I understand rain can be driven sideways, but you still have to either roll down your window or open your door to tell the attendant what you want and to pay.

I think there should be an option. Have one side of the station full service and one side self pump. Best of both worlds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2007, 09:11 PM

246 posts, read 1,073,431 times
Is it really that huge of a deal? Just seems like we deal with lots of pain in the rear things no matter where we go. This is just one of them and it doesn't seem like it's that big of a deal. Granted, we aren't there yet. I agree, the idea of having the option would be ideal.

Old 11-20-2007, 09:12 PM

I must be exhausted. I slightly overused the word "DEAL". LOL! Sorry.

Old 11-21-2007, 02:41 AM

2 posts, read 9,126 times
Default No pumpin'

Two key lobbies keep killing the 'pump your own gas' initiatives. The first is AAA, which sees it as an issue of convenience for motorists. The other is AARP, which represents all those poor benighted seniors who would freeze to death if they had to get out of their cars. Personally, I'd be satisfied if they just decriminalized it. I've had an assortment of 'weird' cars over the years that require odd gyrations to get fuel into them, and I'm just as happy to take care of it myself.

Some stations care, some don't. Late at night seems to work better, most places. The 'official' reason is fire safety; pump operators are allegedly trained to handle volatile fuels safely, and to be able to react properly if a fire breaks out while fueling. But it's really just an excuse, driven by the entrenched interests who like things Just As They Are, Thank You. MGF

Old 11-21-2007, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiffin4java View Post
Is it really that huge of a deal? Just seems like we deal with lots of pain in the rear things no matter where we go. This is just one of them and it doesn't seem like it's that big of a deal. Granted, we aren't there yet. I agree, the idea of having the option would be ideal.
Just wait until your sitting in your car for over 10 minutes hoping someone will come over to start pumping gas. There were a couple times I had enough of waiting and just went to the next station.

Old 11-21-2007, 10:40 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,236,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperial1904 View Post
Just wait until your sitting in your car for over 10 minutes hoping someone will come over to start pumping gas. There were a couple times I had enough of waiting and just went to the next station.
If you feel you're waiting too long, simply step out of your car. Employees magically appear. Personally, I like it the way it is. I like Oregon being different. Sets us apart.

Old 11-21-2007, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seashelly View Post
If you feel you're waiting too long, simply step out of your car. Employees magically appear. Personally, I like it the way it is. I like Oregon being different. Sets us apart.
I have, and also I've opened the door and took the cap off myself hoping to get their attention. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Old 11-21-2007, 03:28 PM

Seems like in that case I'd just start obnoxiously honking the horn. LOL! I also tend to go to the same gas stations that I like so I'm sure I'd find one that wasn't so bad.

Old 11-22-2007, 10:02 AM

1,457 posts, read 6,031,492 times
I like having the attendant available.

If any change occured, I'd suggest a law allowing self-pumping, but also requiring the option of an attendant as well.

As much as is rains in Oregon, its a very good system for many people wearing suits, slacks and such.

As far as the need for it or not, I doubt that we need as many servers in restaurants either. But its quick and streamlined.

Old 11-22-2007, 12:06 PM

610 posts, read 3,319,994 times
I moved here, to Oregon, figuring I would hate the lack of self-serve. I've adjusted. I'm no more opposed to it than I am to pre-pay.
I kinda like driving to dinner and my hand doesn't smell like gas while I hold my fork-full of food up to my mouth. I kinda like listening to my tunes or speaking with my wife, simply relaxing for a minute while on a trip and gassing up.
I kinda like that more jobs are created - jobs that pay more than a "good" job paid in the state I moved from.
Waiting is a hassle - but one must consider that these are not really "high-end" jobs - so, expecting the most capable of employees is not quite fair.
It's Oregon. That right there is the kicker. Nothing beats it.
Was surprised to find out that Oregon isn't just another California though - that it really does have a "feel" of Happy Days (the 50's/60's).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon