Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 09:16 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,245,452 times

Advertisements

OK, obviously all of the non-OR folks who have posted here are too young to know what is going on.

Oregon is great! I love to visit it because it is against the law to pump your own gas. This is the way it was and always should be!

It used to be that you could not pump your own gas almost anywheres in the US. Then the gas crunch of 1973-74 hit. All of a sudden gas stations cut costs by firing all of the gas jockeys and making Mr. & Mrs. Kettle pump their own. Now all of you kids think this is the way of life.

Let someone else do the pumping honors and enjoy sitting in your car . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2007, 12:56 AM

2,141 posts, read 7,865,847 times
Wow, I never knew that there were states that didn't allow customers to pump their own gas. Sounds heavenly! I wish we had that here, especially in the winter

Old 11-18-2007, 07:13 PM

305 posts, read 1,609,939 times
Interestingly enough, if you do pump your own gas in Oregon and you get caught, you'll be fined I think $500 (can't remember the exact figure, but it's a lot), as will the attendent who was supposed to be pumping your gas for you. And the attendent will most likely be fired. Though sometimes it's faster to do it yourself, I'd rather sit for 10 minutes than have to pay a big fine and get someone fired!

Old 11-18-2007, 08:23 PM

840 posts, read 6,515,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyKnox View Post
Interestingly enough, if you do pump your own gas in Oregon and you get caught, you'll be fined I think $500 (can't remember the exact figure, but it's a lot), as will the attendent who was supposed to be pumping your gas for you. And the attendent will most likely be fired. Though sometimes it's faster to do it yourself, I'd rather sit for 10 minutes than have to pay a big fine and get someone fired!
I didn't know you could be fined. I've never seen a cop just sitting near the station waiting for people to break a "gas pumping law".

Personally, I'd rather do it myself. I hate the way they pump. Most of the time, they'll shove that nozzle in hard or twist the fuel cap several clicks too many and slam the door.

Old 11-18-2007, 10:51 PM

61 posts, read 402,391 times
Having someone pump your own gas can have its ups and downs.

Pros:
- not having to get out of your car
- helps you relax for a small part of the day (well for me anyways)
- gives jobs to those who need them (I think)
- for some reason it keeps gas prices somewhat lower here (compared to WA and CA)

Cons:
- sometimes you have to wait so long for someone
- stations in PDX often charge you $.10 more if you use a credit card
- attendants often don't speak English, so asking to fill to nearest dollar sometimes confuses them
- sometimes you just want to do things yourself

It's been interesting since I've moved here.

Old 11-19-2007, 07:38 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Default Fueling Problems in Oregon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadPettingill View Post
Having someone pump your own gas can have its ups and downs.

Pros:
- not having to get out of your car
- helps you relax for a small part of the day (well for me anyways)
- gives jobs to those who need them (I think)
- for some reason it keeps gas prices somewhat lower here (compared to WA and CA)

Cons:
- sometimes you have to wait so long for someone
- stations in PDX often charge you $.10 more if you use a credit card
- attendants often don't speak English, so asking to fill to nearest dollar sometimes confuses them
- sometimes you just want to do things yourself

It's been interesting since I've moved here.
Another Con:

The attendant doesn't secured the gas cap tight enough causing the Emission Control Lamp to illuminate resulting in a trip to the dealer... Happened to a friends Grandmother that lives in Cottage Grove.

or

You've got a classic 1920's antique car and the attendant badly scratches the paint. Seems even "Trained Professionals" have problems correctly pumping gas.

I always prefer to do my own... I'm the only one to blame if something happens.

An article several years ago in the Antique Automobile Club of America magazine warned drivers of the hazard of fueling in Oregon...

The recommended procedure was to stand outside your vehicle and wait for the attendant to hand over the pump nozzle, fill your own tank and then give the nozzle back to the attendant...

I try to never buy fuel in Oregon...

Old 11-19-2007, 06:49 PM

1,217 posts, read 4,033,250 times
I hate having someone pump my own gas. I get sick of waiting while one poor soul is running back and forth between eight cars. I actually topped of my tank MYSELF once at an Arco. The attendant was pissed and took down my name and license plate, telling me that he had to report me so I could be fined. The manager in the AM-PM gave me an exasperated look and threw the paper away.

Isn't it funny that the state would FREAK if you pumped your own gas, but so many other things in our society are ignored. Perhaps a sense of proportion needs to be used by our government officials.

Old 11-19-2007, 10:00 PM

15,575 posts, read 40,425,076 times
The law has been on the ballot several times to be repealed but believe it or not, Oregonians choose to not pump their own gas. I have lived here for 15 years and it still drives me crazy that I have to wait for someone to do it for me.

One of those quirkly things about Oregon.

Old 11-20-2007, 11:43 AM

34 posts, read 94,086 times
Being from Oregon and now living in the south, I can honest say that I was spoiled having someone pump my gas. Never really thought about it until I moved. Now that is about the first thing that comes to mind when I get out of my vehicle, the wind is blowing and its about 30 degrees.

Old 11-20-2007, 04:48 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,755,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee151 View Post
I learned to drive in a self pump state but love the luxury of not having to get out and pump in the rain and wind here.
I too learned to drive in a self pump state. But moved to Oregon when I was in college and stayed for a couple of decades. I LOVED not having to pump the gas in the rain!!! Plus I use the time I'm waiting to clean out my purse.

This summer I moved from Oregon back to NC. My 7 year old son and I drove across country. Our first night on the trip we spent the night in Ontario, Oregon because the next morning I wanted someone else to pump my gas and Ontario was as far east as I could get in Oregon.

Finally by the time we made it to Kentucky I would remember to pull the lever inside the car to release the gas door before I got out of the car. My 7 year old still has a good belly laugh about Mom pumping gas. But I'm better now. Not a pro... but better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon