Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 10:03 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,483,603 times

Advertisements

Seaside have any unique problem you wouldn't find in, say, Venice Beach in California?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2013, 07:46 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,449,461 times
@Steve

There is no information anywhere, that backs up your assertion that all (or even the bulk) of Seaside's crime is because of Portland. Nor is there any information that points to meth being the biggest crime issue in Seaside. I looked at data reported to the FBI, National/State Crime Stats, and both the city and county papers. I HAVE read the crime blotter in both the Seaside Paper, and the Columbia County paper, going three years. Based on what I'm seeing, DUII is the largest number of arrests. Vandalism is the second. The rest of the crimes, even if every single one was directly attributed to meth, come in as a distance third numbers wise. Over all we're still seeing less then 20 arrests (in Seaside,) per a month. On the County level it's higher of course, but statistically similar.

The only mention of meth that I'm ever able to find were huge "front page," stories. It is rarely mentioned past that. The only other thing I found was that the same names were mentioned again and again, leading me to believe that the problem is limited to a small core group of locals. Especially when the article calls out the fact that these people tend to have existing records.

Based on the fact that Law Enforcement across the country has again and again been caught inflating drug stats so that they can get more money for drug enforcement, AND the fact that few of these crimes are specifically called out as drug related, and adding the fact that in small population areas, a single data point can wildly skew statistics, I will continue to invoke a healthy amount of skepticism on this subject. Even adding in the fact that certain of my (costally located) family members have fallen down the Meth rabbit hole themselves.

But as has been pointed out in this very forum multiple times, no one should rely on a single source of information in anything. If you wish to continue this debate, then you need to put up. I have provided you Internet links because that is the medium we are communicating in. If you'd like to scan in the copies of the reports that you were no doubt handed in these public meetings that counter my research, I will gladly give you my personal email to send them to me. I will then host them on one of my numerous websites so that everyone can see them and participate in this discussion. If you do not have a scanner, then I am willing to drive down to Dallas with my computer and scanner, meet you in a coffee shop, and scan them in myself.

I am not, anywhere, saying that Meth is not a problem. What I am saying is that based on the information available to me, it is not as huge of a problem as you are making it out to be, in Seaside. Nor is it all "because of Portland." If you want to argue other cities and counties along the coast, then I will desist as I have not researched that far.

Old 02-03-2013, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
Seaside have any unique problem you wouldn't find in, say, Venice Beach in California?
Yes. That #@^!(&^(&!# annoying "Candy Man" song playing in the streets and being accosted by the "taffy guy." And a lot less bums, bikinis, and "bros."

(Was in Venice Beach just a few months ago!)

Old 02-03-2013, 07:58 AM

5,147 posts, read 7,483,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
Yes. That #@^!(&^(&!# annoying "Candy Man" song playing in the streets and being accosted by the "taffy guy." And a lot less bums, bikinis, and "bros."

(Was in Venice Beach just a few months ago!)
See what I miss by living smack dab at the midpoint between the oceans? I'm culturally deprived!

Old 02-03-2013, 12:09 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,348,984 times
Ham you would be right. "Information available to you." I have more reliable information, and it is available to you direct from the source, not second hand or on the internet. Get over the idea that if you don't find it on the internet it isn't true. Ask any cop.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:00 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,461,499 times
Yeah, maybe "the Cop" can provide you some location (on the internet) where you can find some verifiable facts.
Steve obviously can't or won't for some reason.

This is 2013, not 2003, and anything of any importance will be "on the internet".
It's the major means of communication these days.

If what you are saying is true and is the "root of all evil" on the coast, you can be sure that it would be plastered all over the internet in PDF files, PowerPoint presentations, local law enforcement websites, online newspapers, public safety websites, the list goes on and on.

Steve, just because YOU say it's true doesn't mean it's true.
That's why hearsay evidence is not admissable in court.

Prove somehow what you are saying is true, and we will quit questioning your "opinion", and accept it as fact.

o·pin·ion(-pnyn)
n. 1. A belief or conclusion held with confidence but not substantiated by proof.

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 02-03-2013 at 02:59 PM..

Old 02-03-2013, 03:32 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,348,984 times
You couldn't be more wrong. Get over the internet and ask someone who knows.

Old 02-03-2013, 03:58 PM

Quote:
You couldn't be more wrong.
And you couldn't be more wrong about me being wrong. Sorry.

Quote:
Get over the internet
Using your logic, it goes that anything you yourself post on these forums (since they're on the internet) is BullSnot, and should be taken with a huge grain of salt...

Quote:
and ask someone who knows
That is exactly what we are trying to find.
Someone who knows what they are talking about and can substantiate, with facts, presented in some form, what they are saying.

So far that person has not appeared.

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 02-03-2013 at 04:23 PM..

Old 02-03-2013, 06:19 PM

So the moral of this thread is that Seaside is an absolute hole in the ground that should be avoided at all costs. If you MUST go there, be sure to carry a gun and take a friend or two. If you do get accosted by the millions of Portlanders who travel there just to commit a meth-related crime, be sure to look at them threateningly, and shoot their dog before things escalate out of hand.

But be sure not to drink and drive. They really crack down on that!

Old 02-03-2013, 07:52 PM

Crap.

Nightime razor clamming on the beach at the 12th street turn-around and the traditional razor clam dinner at Norma's is about to take on a whole new meaning for me!

Can you reccomend what caliber clam gun I should use?
I'm thinking a nice stainless steel double-action 130mm with mother of pearl grips and a 3 foot overall length should be just about right.

That'll leave a hole.

Of course carrying around a loaded gun of that caliber is heavy and foolish, so I'll hang a 15 round magazine at my waist to hold my loaded shells.

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 02-03-2013 at 08:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon