Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 07:23 PM

5,466 posts, read 8,188,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by *anya* View Post
.........and I'm curious which forests produce this wild edible vegetation. We just visited last week, mainly Bend and that's the place that we are most interested in ................
A 2400 year old edible “honey mushroom,” the largest living organism on earth, over 2200 acres, is in the Malheur National Forest in Eastern Oregon about 190 miles from Bend: Largest Living Thing | Mushroom in Oregon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 09:53 PM

49 posts, read 143,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
A 2400 year old edible “honey mushroom,” the largest living organism on earth, over 2200 acres, is in the Malheur National Forest in Eastern Oregon about 190 miles from Bend: Largest Living Thing | Mushroom in Oregon
that's pretty cool!

Old 06-14-2012, 11:56 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,344,486 times
I would love to know of a good spot for morrels

Old 06-15-2012, 02:17 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,696,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Nobody is going to tell you where to find mushrooms. It's just not done. However, morels sometimes fruit heavily in burned over areas after forest fires. Check early spring, when the buds on oak trees are just in the rabbit's foot stage.

Old 06-15-2012, 08:17 AM

I knew that. I have been mushrooming for forty-five years. I had to give it a shot.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:04 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,446,341 times
Quote:
Outside of Burns, Oregon, in the Ochoco mountains. About ten miles up NF-47/Burns-Izee Road. Where NF-37 breaks off, there is a hill on the left hand side. The south side of that hill had a really good crop in 2009 when I was last there.

There is usually a buyer just a few miles south of there. He'll sometime pretend to not speak English (he's Korean,) to take advantage, but he usually gives one of the better prices - I think he ships them over seas. If you don't want to deal with him, there is a retired guy and his wife who setup closer to town. They're usually driving a blue pickup with a camper on the back. They resell at a farmer's market somewhere, so they're not able to give as much.

If you're out in that area, and see any glass like stones in clear, pale yellow, red, green, blue, or purple, I'd appreciate knowing about them. Typically they'll be found in areas of iron heavy (red,) dirt, or will be found within the matrix level below a basalt out cropping. The matrix level typically looks like a green crumbly clay and will be a few inches thick to several feet. Those would be Oregon's state gem, the Oregon Sunstone. Not worth a lot of money but there is a bit of nostalgia on my part and I'd like to get some larger pieces to replace several that are in my personal collection.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:31 AM

We just got into a glory hole of Sunstones at the public digs in Plush a couple of weeks ago. Never heard of them near Burns. I want the Morrels for my belly, not some Korean.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:51 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,446,341 times
Quote:
We just got into a glory hole of Sunstones at the public digs in Plush a couple of weeks ago.
It's a great time, ain't it?

My great grandfather and his brothers were one of the first to dig Sunstones out there near Plush, they sold a lot of them to Tiffany's before they bought a claim there themselves (which is now where the Dust Devil Mine is.) That was all back in the 1930's, when you'd go out and find ant hills literally made of the stones.

There is one known mine up in the Ochoco's, the owners work it pretty heavily and have a shop downtown somewhere. Their prices tend to be pretty obscene and I can't imagine they're breaking even as sunstones just aren't a tough enough stone to be used reliably in jewelry.

Apparently Sunstones have also been found near Brookings and in Christmas Valley. As they're caused by pockets of carbon and copper put under immense pressure via lava flows, in theory just about the entire state should have them around. I've spent a lot of time pouring over geology maps and have a few ideas of locations that I plan on scouting out.

But if someone else finds some and lets me know, that's less work on my part That and I'd rather be mining for them in the nice shady forest somewhere during the summer, vs. being out in the sun all day near Plush.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:16 AM

49 posts, read 143,581 times
I've never tried Morels they are ridiculously expensive in Cali, and back in the mother land we either didn't pick them or they didn't grow there, probably didn't grow there. Now I want to try some haha.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:20 AM

Sunstons are fieldspar. They facit well. They are a product of volcanic activity, and are found in magma tubes that have deteriorated just like diamonds. Something they didn't know even a few years back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon