Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 11:51 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts

Advertisements

MiO has updated their FAQ to acknowledge that not all the products are actually made in Oregon, so I guess that's something.

Quote:
Remember, that the iPhone selling for about $200 only costs Apple less than $30 at the factory when it rolls out.
This isn't true. It actually costs a little under $200 to manufacture the 4S and sells for $650 to $850 if you buy it unlocked (without a carrier subsidy). Of course, there's also the cost of support, hardware design, developers...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2011, 01:45 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,732 posts, read 58,079,686 times
I made a stop yesterday to a MiO, my first stop in several yrs. I was alarmed at what I saw FS !!! Offerings had certainly changed, and ironically the comment in article said they have over 500 vendors
Quote:
"It is supporting a lot of jobs here," said Vincent at the store's headquarters in Northeast Portland. "We have 500 vendors we buy from....
Some customers say that's not enough..
"
. Such a WRONG attitude (sounds very Gen Y).

How about REDUCING the bogus vendors and using ~100 that are actually manufacturing products AND sourcing materials / resources locally... They would be surprised what they could find if they looked / juried. I personally would bag the OREGON theme and make it PNW. There is MUCH more value in supporting the region, and avoiding the implication of supremacy. (That said I am currently working for a company that prides itself in MADE in OREGON manufactured product. It is a bit sickening to digest the daily dose of pride, while seeing the waste / ridiculous MGNT (largely blind pride) that will eventually tube the company. It is POSSIBLE to have a Made in OREGON product AND sustain the company / jobs; but you gotta be smart about it.

So sad, so OREGON...

Old 12-23-2011, 02:42 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,529,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
If you look at the top 150 businesses in Oregon, only 2 at seventy sixth and ninety second place which make some apparel, are the only ones that make things that would be sold in a Made in Oregon Shop. And their goods are too high price to sell much. There are a lot of lumber manufacturing companies, law firms, restaurants, car dealers, Microbreweries, contractors, etc., but no one making things that could be sold in an made in Oregon shop.
You can buy Oregon-brewed beer(usually using Oregon-grown hops) from a number of micro-breweries at Made in Oregon stores.

For me I usually just use the Made In Oregon stores at the airport(after the security check) so I can pick up a bottle or two of Oregon Pinot Noir to bring to my relatives--since I never check bags I can't carry liquids through the checkpoint. Or it's good to pick up some Tillamook cheese or smoked salmon or a nuts and dried fruits gift basket for my aunt.

But, I never really expected that Pendleton Mills still produced all of their blankets and shirts in Oregon. It's sad that manufacturing and the clothing industry have been outsourced but it's a problem endemic to America as a whole. I'd still rather support a business that employs people in Oregon but has some of their production done in a different country, than one with no connection to the state. Now if some of the products Made in Oregon, are from companies not even headquartered here or employing anyone in Oregon--that would make me angry.

Last edited by Deezus; 12-23-2011 at 02:51 AM..

Old 12-23-2011, 08:23 AM

1,126 posts, read 2,927,172 times
Maybe I am a little short sighted but seems like false advertising to me. If they can't supply products Made in Oregon, then just change the name.

If I shop for something Made in Oregon, or Texas, or Colorado I expect it to be made there.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:29 AM

780 posts, read 1,577,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirnot View Post
maybe i am a little short sighted but seems like false advertising to me. If they can't supply products made in oregon, then just change the name.

If i shop for something made in oregon, or texas, or colorado i expect it to be made there.

+1

Old 12-23-2011, 10:31 AM

4,828 posts, read 7,457,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirnot View Post
Maybe I am a little short sighted but seems like false advertising to me. If they can't supply products Made in Oregon, then just change the name.

If I shop for something Made in Oregon, or Texas, or Colorado I expect it to be made there.
Double +1

If the sign says MADE in Oregon, well by golly, it should be 100% made in Oregon.

Either change the product line or change the name.

Old 12-23-2011, 10:53 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,443,694 times
I can see their point to a certain extent. What is really made "In Oregon," that would work in the store?

Wines, jelly, locally printed books, produce, cheeses, honey, items from the Pendleton Wool Mill, Myrtlewood items, pictures, calendars, etc.

But either way, I'm still disappointed about how this came about. I don't see it as a failure of the Made in Oregon stores though, more of a failure in Oregon's (lack of,) manufacturing industry.

Old 12-23-2011, 01:49 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,691,252 times
Leupold scopes. Danner boots. Nosler bullets. Hevishot. Santiam canned vegetables. Flav-R-Pack frozen vegetables. North River boats.

Old 12-23-2011, 03:16 PM

1,822 posts, read 2,003,193 times
Great thread (post?) pdxMIKEpdx

The Made in [state] matter is just as important as Made in America. It's already difficult and time-consuming to go out of our way to locate and buy American-made items, but it adds insult to injury when even alleged USA-made items are compromised and made in part (or full) elsewhere. What happened to false advertizing, and the legal consequences of it?!? It's really weird how this country has changed over the past 10-15 years or so.

Products in this country are made to higher standards and restrictions then say, China. China skips out on a lot of sensible precautions, and that's why we see tainting products, lead poisoning hazards, etc. in their crap. And the oil industry LOVES the fact that China now burns up and uses lots of oil these days (does anybody notice the connection with higher prices and higher demand? - we helped that happen, kids). They use to ride bikes and stuff. Now those billions of people like cars, and they now guzzle up the gas and make us all pay more. Plus, how much sense is it to ship something around the world, when it used to only have to be shipped tens or hundreds of miles away from within the USA?

It's good to see that there are still a few of us that give a damn, and care about supporting our own country. And that's not a patriotic jest either; just a common sense one that recognizes that we can help make ourselves stronger, or just look the other way as our working foundation and jobs and economy rots.

Last edited by Sunderpig2; 12-23-2011 at 03:28 PM..

Old 12-23-2011, 05:28 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,927,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
I can see their point to a certain extent. What is really made "In Oregon," that would work in the store?

Wines, jelly, locally printed books, produce, cheeses, honey, items from the Pendleton Wool Mill, Myrtlewood items, pictures, calendars, etc.

But either way, I'm still disappointed about how this came about. I don't see it as a failure of the Made in Oregon stores though, more of a failure in Oregon's (lack of,) manufacturing industry.
Using the Made in Oregon name appears to be a marketing ploy, not a real business to buy Oregon goods. They are free to sell anything they want, whether it is made in Oregon or not. But to name the store Made in Oregon and the products are not made there is dishonest.

I liken it to a local farmer buying produce in South America, shipping it in and selling it at local farmers markets, and saying because he lives there it is locally sourced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon