Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 11:43 PM

9 posts, read 130,935 times

Advertisements

We are thinking about moving to Oregon from Utah. The McMinnville city came into our attention as far as being small city but close enough to a big city. How would you describe the community and how people treat each other? Is there religion climate in your town? We have two little girls. One is just enter education system. I am really concern about the education quality wherever we are moving to. What do you rate the education system in McMinnville?

Old 08-23-2007, 01:06 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,708,963 times
I was born in McMinnville. It is turning into another bedroom community for Portland, with absolutely horrible commuting access. There are some churches in town, if that is what you mean by "religion climate." You should be able to find your favorite flavor. Linfield College is Baptist. There isn't much general interest in religion in Oregon.

If you stay involved in your child's education, they will do OK. The new teacher's contract (statewide) is going to base teacher raises on standardized test scores, so teachers will teach test taking and not much else.

Old 08-24-2007, 10:08 PM

Default Which city?

Thank you for your response. I was wondering about the traffic myself when I am looking on the map. Seems that McMinnville is not close to any major freeway. Seem to have to go around to get anywhere? As far as religion concern, the less religious pressure put on our children the better. Here in Utah, people will go against the parent wishes and trying to convert the children or the children will be completed excluded from community. Neither one is what we want our children to experience. They are still very young (5 and 3), so we want to get out of here. We are not so sure where to yet this point. Oregon is on the top of our list. We want to be in a small to medium size city with an easy to access to a big city. Eugene and Corvallis came to mind as far as lot of cultural activities (is it true?) and diversity of people. However, I read a lot of negative opinion on these two city on gang ad drug problem.

Old 08-26-2007, 10:49 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,708,963 times
Drugs are everywhere. You won't get away from them. I haven't heard that Eugene or Corvallis have a gang problem.

Old 08-27-2007, 11:17 PM

1,457 posts, read 6,035,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Drugs are everywhere. You won't get away from them. I haven't heard that Eugene or Corvallis have a gang problem.
Really, I have trouble finding them, even if I start looking for them. And I was in the "drug crowd" or "lesser element of society" when I was younger. I could sniff them if they were a problem, but the stink isn't that bad other than a few pockets which are usually so unappealing looking, that most people wouldn't think of moving there anyway. And honestly, I don't think Oregon has anything that can compete with other parts of the country for gangs, crime and drugs.

They are not "everywhere". And anybody can get away from them. I did. Got away from Marijuana. Got away from peyote. It was not problem.

All I had to do was quit listening to the folks who say "Say No To Drugs". That line doesn't work. I picked the easy way to get away which is "Say No To Your Friends".

Anybody can say no to drugs - it's their friends they have trouble saying not to. And good friends can be found in McMinnville.

ANON42...

Just between you and me, McMinnville was the town I'd like to move to once our place in Oregon's Applegate Valley sells, but, I need the the big suburbs like Hillsboro for my niche.

If you can work in McMinneville or Newberg, traffic is no problem. McMinneville is right next to Hy. 99 - I think 99 even goes through the edge of it. So it's virtually on a significant Hy. Not I-5 size, but a major route to the coast.

The Spruce Goose is out there in the air museum too, if you like planes and stuff. There is a lot of shopping in that town.

If I did not need to get into Portland daily, I'd place McMinnville as a top choice to consider. And I think the home prices are about 10% less -maybe better than that.

Old 08-29-2007, 11:37 PM

Default Costs of living

thank you, mdvaden.

I totally agree with you about "say no to friend" concept. I has been lucky to have such wonderful friends through my life. Drug has never came across my path growing up. That's what scare me to think that I am too naive to protect my kids from what I don't even know what they look like, smell like, etc. I do believe that parenting, good neighborhood and community will help. Our goal are to get a safe place in friendly community, good school (we cannot afford private school), close enough to city for cultural events for our two growing little girls, and housing with reasonable price. Am I asking too much?

I know that there is no such a perfect place. Consider moving from Utah, where the education is on the bottom rank, is an upgrade, I think. Yes, Utah is a relatively safe place to live. However, the social life here is terrible if you are not part to the club. I just don't want my kids to grow up here.

We have been thinking about moving for a long time. However, we are getting more serious after having kids. Now, I can see an opportunity to move anywhere as long as we can affort it without having to find a new job. I hope to work remotely for my company. Basically, I will be working from home. So, a city with available network connection like DSL or fiber will be a must for me. My husband is a realtor. He will have to start his career over wherever we go. So, where would be a good place for realtor?

We haven't pin point exactly state yet, but OR is on the top of the list. Why? Tree, closer to beaches, mountains with lot of outdoor activities to do. Please tell me if I am off the mark here. We will make visits to those towns/states we considers to see for ourselves. However, I still think that visiting and living are totally different things. At least, I still think that it is comforting to ourselves that we didn't make blind decision, only one eye closed. :-)

We don't know enough about cost of living in OR comparing to Utah. Can we reall afford it? What the cost of living in OR like, such as utility bill, insurance, and property taxes. I know OR does't have sale tax, but it has income tax. The Uncle Sam will get his money one way or the others. I even considered Austin, Texas. After learning about the property tax (3% of house price), cost of insurance, utility bill (~$250/month), I almost pass out. Inexpensive price of home is a wash in my opinion.

The town McMinnville, Albany, Newberg, and Sherwood keep coming up. Sherwood is on the top of the list, until something else come up. :-) Could anyone help me with pro and con of living in these town?

Last edited by ANON42; 08-29-2007 at 11:51 PM..

Old 08-30-2007, 09:04 AM

143 posts, read 810,331 times
I live in Sherwood, so can help with that Great place, IMO. For all ages...but especially for families as most everything in town in geared for that. Basically everything you are looking for is here. I call it Mayberry

When we moved back here, we also looked at Newberg but nixed it right away due to the schools. After living here for a while and talking with people, we definitely made the right decision.

Old 08-30-2007, 11:41 AM

Default Cost of living?

What is the housing price average in Sherwood (like standard 3 bed 2 bath house with decent lot size). Average uitlity bill? Are there better or less desireable area I should be look at or concern in Sherwood?

One more thing, we are very spoiled with irregation water provided by the city for watering lawn and outdoor uses. It only cost us $75 for the whole year (got turn off during winter). What is it like in OR or Sherwood?

Thank you a whole bunch

Old 08-30-2007, 02:19 PM

143 posts, read 810,331 times
Not sure on prices...our street has larger homes, usually anywhere from 4-6 bedrooms and at least 3 baths...newer homes, large lots and the homes start around $450k. But to find prices that are more in line with what you are looking for I would do a search on RMLS™ - Home or REALTOR.com - Real Estate Listings & Homes For Sale and see what pops up. Woodhaven is is a beautiful large neighborhood that has more of the smaller size homes.

As far as utilities I think we pay roughly $100/month for electric. Gas changes drastically from winter to summer. Water and garbage are billed every other month. Our water bills usually run $100-$150. Outside water use is not free, so that is included in this cost.

Old 06-18-2008, 02:09 PM

1 posts, read 10,171 times
Default What contract?

If you stay involved in your child's education, they will do OK. The new teacher's contract (statewide) is going to base teacher raises on standardized test scores, so teachers will teach test taking and not much else.[/quote]

I teach in McMinnville and I've taught in Salem. I've never heard of a "statewide" teacher contract. Each contract is negotiated by local unions and is unique to the school board for which it is negotiated. Teacher raises are negotiated for each contract period based on the cost of living index. There is no requirement to "teach to the test." I have never heard of a teacher being evaluated based on how students perform on a standardized tests. State standards, which are assessed with State tests, are used to strategically guide my teaching.

I would be interested in where you got your information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon