Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 07:17 PM

3 posts, read 3,580 times

Advertisements

I am originally from California and I am looking for similar weather. Actually, I have a wish list as follows:

warm-but not excessively warm
no snow or extreme cold
close to a hospital
great schools
low crime
great job opportunities, especially in the legal field
affordable housing with large home and backyard (my husband loves to grow our own fruit and veggies)

I just cant take the extremely high priced homes in California, the high taxes, the high crime, and low job market. It is extremely depressing here and I want to raise my kids in a kid friendly area.

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 07:23 PM

1,457 posts, read 2,030,583 times
it snows anywhere and everywhere in the state of oregon, but west of the cascades it doesn't stick around very long. it does however rain and over cast for nine months of the year... taxes are high but not like calif., legal field would be eugene, salem , bend, portland.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:06 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,631,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredwithcalifornia View Post
You mean just in summer, or all year around? You put this one first, so I'm assuming it's very important.

If just the summer, then anything in inland western Oregon from Roseburg north. If you mean all year around, then sorry, Oregon is not for you.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:01 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,489,090 times
No great job opportunities. Especially in the legal field. A newly graduated attorney I know had to work at a grocery store for almost two years before he was able to find a position at a law firm. There is a total saturation of paralegal jobs with competition between newly graduated paralegals and newly graduated attorneys.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:13 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,815,156 times
Yes, the legal field has been hit particularly hard in Oregon, and great job opportunities in any field really don't exist. It does seem that things are getting slightly better for employment in general though...but I still wouldn't advise moving to Oregon without a job, especially with a family.

You don't say what part of California you're from, so there's no point of reference for the type of weather that you want to find something similar to. Real estate prices are pretty reasonable and there are areas with good schools and low crime compared to parts of California, but you might have to compromise availability of jobs and weather for that.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:14 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,718,714 times
Take a clue from other Californians. My brother is an Oregon native who moved to West Texas just north of Dallas. It has all the things you are looking for.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:04 AM

600 posts, read 1,470,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredwithcalifornia View Post
I am originally from California and I am looking for similar weather. Actually, I have a wish list as follows:

no snow or extreme cold
close to a hospital
great schools
low crime
great job opportunities, especially in the legal field
affordable housing with large home and backyard (my husband loves to grow our own fruit and veggies)

I just cant take the extremely high priced homes in California, the high taxes, the high crime, and low job market. It is extremely depressing here and I want to raise my kids in a kid friendly area.

Any ideas?
Where are you living in California? The only place that has similar weather to Portland is the San Fransisco area. If you're looking for weather like LA or SD you're out of luck. I cant think of any place in Oregon where there wouldnt be a possibility of snow. The rest of the things on your list are pretty easy to find though

Old 06-07-2011, 09:35 AM

17,645 posts, read 22,680,836 times
If'n you live on Fremont Peak, CA, you mite find some similar spots in southwest Oregon. But we have much more beautiful timber...

Fremont Peak State Park - San Juan Bautista, CA

http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/dJFBN...dQYcH0YDe40Q3A

Old 06-07-2011, 09:38 AM

15,597 posts, read 40,497,229 times
affordable housing doesn't go with great schools and low crime. Great schools and low crime areas are generally wealthier areas of cities which means higher home prices. Depending on where you are from in CA though, most of Oregon is affordable in comparison.

I 2nd the legal field being hard hit. Firms aren't hiring because their business is down as well. I know many of the legal grads are doing pro bono work just to gain legal skills while they work another job to pay the rent.

Sounds like you want California weather but not in California. There is a reason that home prices are so high there. People pay for the nice weather. If you want to move out of CA you have to give up the nice weather in exchange for some of those other things.

Old 06-07-2011, 10:15 AM

600 posts, read 1,470,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
affordable housing doesn't go with great schools and low crime. Great schools and low crime areas are generally wealthier areas of cities which means higher home prices. Depending on where you are from in CA though, most of Oregon is affordable in comparison.

I 2nd the legal field being hard hit. Firms aren't hiring because their business is down as well. I know many of the legal grads are doing pro bono work just to gain legal skills while they work another job to pay the rent.

Sounds like you want California weather but not in California. There is a reason that home prices are so high there. People pay for the nice weather. If you want to move out of CA you have to give up the nice weather in exchange for some of those other things.
If you're moving from areas where a 3 BR APARTMENT can cost $2700, then anything in Oregon is considered affordable. We paid just under $3000 for a 1500 sq foot home in So Cal and our housing cost is now less than half of what we used to pay.
And I agree about your weather comment. You're not going to find the same weather here in Oregon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon