Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 02:08 PM

72 posts, read 113,812 times

Advertisements

So I've been reading these forums for a few years no, and it's about time I posted! I'm a 26 year old single guy currently living in Brooklyn, NY and working in Manhattan. I've grown up and spent my whole life in NY, and frankly, I need a change. I could think of a million reasons why this area is such an amazing place to live, but also have a list just as long as why I need to relocate.

I'm looking not only to relocate, but also go back to school for my masters degree. There are a few programs at OSU that interest me, as well as one at Portland State. I'm a really active guy, love to be outside, run, hike, explore, I'm also very into music (I've been playing guitar for about a decade). To give you an idea of my personality, I'm definitely not a club type guy...at all. Give me some good food, cold beers and friends and I'm happy. I love hockey and football, especially college football, so sports bars are always fun. Also love coffee shops and mom and pop style cafe's, bookstores. Anything along those lines.

I'm craving more nature, cleaner air, less stress and noise. Some cute girls without a NY attitude wouldn't hurt either

Any info on Corvalis or Portland is much appreciated, good fit? Big mistake? Other cities/states you recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 03:15 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,434,848 times
Honestly either sound just fine for you. Portland obviously has more going on with their music scene since it is a larger town, but all of Oregon is laid back. It's kind of the point of living here, I think.

Old 09-09-2010, 03:39 PM

1,337 posts, read 3,278,814 times
Good luck! Can't help much - just moved out this way from Baltimore, MD.

I feel bad for all of my college friends who grew up in NYC. No city will ever compare. NYC is an extremely special. Just be ready to settle for less of everything no matter where you choose. That said, from the description of yourself, Portland sounds like a pretty good match. You'll get MUCH better air quality, MUCH more nature, MUCH less stress, MUCH less noise and I doubt you'll run into any NYC attitudes. If you love music, Portland is .....well, they like to say they're great and, yes, there is an extremely thriving music scene there....but, coming from NYC....well.....you know what I mean.

Interestingly, the biggest thing I miss from living in a (semi) major NE city is the ruff/rawness - if you don't know what I'm talking about yet, I will guarantee you'll pick up on it the second you hit either city- You WILL not find that out here. Not in Oregon, at least.

Old 09-09-2010, 03:46 PM

83 posts, read 185,410 times
I know this probably isn't the place to post this, but I was just thinking about this after reading an article in th eMail Tribune. I just read about Oregon's problem with illegal pot growers. I am afraid to go hiking in the forests now!! Or are these guys wayyyy in the back parts of the forests? It's disgusting! Ruining those beautiful areas and they are here ILLEGALLY! Geez! Anyone think Oregon will REALLY go after these guys hard?? Before it's National Forests, are ruined what gall they have! It just irks me!

Last edited by Gotwine?; 09-09-2010 at 04:41 PM.. Reason: more words

Old 09-09-2010, 04:48 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,625,098 times
I'm a west coaster my whole life. I lived 10 years in Corvallis and currently in the Portland Metro area. The two cities are similar in some ways, different in others.

It's easy to pick out the differences. Portland is huge comparitively, with more traffic and crime simply because of the larger population. But there's also many more opportunties in Portland for entertainment and dining (including sports bars). It's easier to get to the mountains and the coast from Corvallis (again, traffic), and both cities have a strong running and cycling culture. If you want to play music, well, you can do that in your living room in either city. But if you want to get up in front of a mike with your guitar, you'll have more opportunities in Portland.

Similarities--I would say the people are very similar in each city. Oregonians as a whole are laid back. VERY laid back. What kapetrich says about the rawness is true--most Oregonians don't have it in us to be rude or gruff with others. What you'll find is that we are incredibly friendly and helpful to strangers in passing, but it will take you a while to pierce our shells and really get to know us. (There are several posts on this topic--look at some of Philwithbeard's posts in the Portland forum.) As for dating, you might find some women at OSU and PSU to be standoffish at first--don't let that phase you. Be yourself above all else, but try to refrain from talking about how different it is here vs. where you came from.

In sum, I'd say the transition from NYC to Corvallis would be culture shock on an extreme scale, whereas NYC to Portland would be culture shock on a less extreme scale.

Old 09-09-2010, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotwine? View Post
I know this probably isn't the place to post this,...
Yes, how is this helpful to the OP?

But I have to say, I knew someone who grew pot on National Forest land in Oregon back in the 1970s, so this has been going on a long time. And guess what--he was a 100% white native Oregonian.

Old 09-09-2010, 05:11 PM

83 posts, read 185,410 times
Yeah, but was he armed and dangerous like these illegals involved in the Mexican drug world? THAT'S what scares me! These guys will shoot at anything that moves!!

Old 09-09-2010, 05:39 PM

72 posts, read 113,812 times
Thanks to everyone that has replied so far, your insight has been very helpful. I figure that Portland might be a better fit and easier transition, I'm just not sure what the reputation of PSU is in Oregon. I know that Oregon and OSU are the big boys, but is Portland State well received?

As far as the rawness of people, I'm guessing that no matter where I go the people will be a lot different. But, that's what I'm looking for. I know there will be tons of things I'm going to miss (other than the obvious friends and family), but new faces, attitudes, and ideas will be refreshing.

Old 09-09-2010, 08:11 PM

963 posts, read 3,033,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr1129 View Post
TI'm just not sure what the reputation of PSU is in Oregon. I know that Oregon and OSU are the big boys, but is Portland State well received?
Neither Oregon nor OSU is a "bigger boy" in terms of either enrollment or reputation than PSU. PSU in one of Oregon's top public schools.

Among the private schools, Willamette University, Linfield College, Reed College, and Pacific University are probably Oregon's top-rated schools.

P.S. The reputation that you yourself garner is far more important than that of the school. A high CGPA from Podunk College will pull more weight than graduating imum *** nada from an ivy-league institution.

Last edited by Brenda-by-the-sea; 09-09-2010 at 08:38 PM..

Old 09-09-2010, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotwine? View Post
Yeah, but was he armed and dangerous like these illegals involved in the Mexican drug world? THAT'S what scares me! These guys will shoot at anything that moves!!
He didn't tell me if he was armed. But I can tell you I grew up in Northern California and those guys in the woods were armed. This was like 30 years ago. It never stopped people from hiking or camping in the National Forest. The last thing these guys want is to locate where a bunch of people are pitching tents.

I think you need to get over the whole illegal thing. Bad people are bad people, whether they were born and bred here in the good ol' USA or came across the southern border in the dark of night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon